Onward Ticket Question

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

I ran across this post in another forum:

Please note

You are required to hold an onward or return ticket when you enter the Philippines and be able to produce it on demand at the Bureau of Immigration when arranging extensions. The return date is irrelevant. Just so long as you have a valid ticket to depart the Philippines.

I assume they check the return ticket only the first time you arrange for an extension?

robert k
Posted
Posted

I have never heard of them checking for an exit ticket at an extension but there is always a first time for everything. Enforcement of many rules regulations or laws is hit and miss. Take the balikbayan privilege, it's supposed to be for Filipinos who have been outside the country for more than 1 year but some people leave with their spouse for a couple of days every year and come back and get the privilege they don't technically qualify for. I wouldn't worry about it. If you had to you could book a flight after they tell you it's required unless you walked into the office in the last office hour of your last day. Beware of holidays, it may be a good thing to extend a few days before it is due so as not to be late.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Remember to preface everything I write here with USUALLY!

The place where you will find that you need that Throw-away ticket the most is when you are getting on a flight to the Philippines.  Why?  Because if you arrive in the Philippines without one and are found to not have one, the airline who brought you in is subject to a very hefty fine.  They basically are the ones who have to ensure you have that ticket out!

The next time you will need that ticket may be on arrival.  Sometimes, it seems to just keep the airlines honest, you will be asked upon arrival for your return (Throw-away) ticket.

The only time I have heard of anyone needing a ticket after this is to actually get on an aircraft leaving the Philippines in order to satisfy the "Weekend in Singapore" away before re-entering the Philippines for another round of Visa Renewals.

Has anyone experienced anything different?

:rolleyes:  :mocking:

Alby
Posted
Posted

I'd agree with Bob. I am not quite sure though about the date if the throw-away ticket?

My guess is don't matter when as long as the airlines that brought you in is satisfied that you have one.

Also, and I found this the hard way is to NOT extend for the new 6 months visitors visa. Coz if you go out of the country before it expires you'd have to go through the whole cycle again and lose the 6 months visa renew.l fees! As if you just came!

Hey. It's money and this is the Philippines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

I'd agree with Bob. I am not quite sure though about the date if the throw-away ticket?

My guess is don't matter when as long as the airlines that brought you in is satisfied that you have one.

Also, and I found this the hard way is to NOT extend for the new 6 months visitors visa. Coz if you go out of the country before it expires you'd have to go through the whole cycle again and lose the 6 months visa renew.l fees! As if you just came!

Hey. It's money and this is the Philippines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same happened to me with the 2 month visa, was only 2 weeks into it when I had to go back to my country of origin for personal reasons, when I came back had to start the visa process all over again, 1 month first visa, then back too 2 monthly visa's. As for the throw away ticket, only been asked by the airline so they can issue my ticket to the Phils, never been asked on arrival or at the immigration office

• Like 1

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

i also have never been asked for a return ticket either , but i had always booked round trip anyway and handed it to the immigration officer at the airport but never have i been asked for one ! and when i go this march ( I HOPE ) im going to book a 2 month stay and with Korean Air i can change my outward bound date from the Philippines for $100 usd as long as a flight is available its no problem !in case i want to stay longer !!!  catch is i have too go to manila to get the ticket but i have friends all over the Philippines so its just a great time to catch up while i take care of business ! 

O-U-C :thumbsup:

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

Just a little tip here...if you're not planning on a round trip (i.e. you plan to stay in the Philippines), go to the Cebu Pacific website promo section (https://www.cebupacificair.com/Pages/seat-sale-promo.aspx) and buy an onward ticket to the cheapest international destination available. (1199p base airfare as of this post--but there is also a fuel surcharge; don't know how much that is.)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

idea.gif This is one of those topics that can go round and round and round and end up in the same place. Never really knowing but there are 2 things we should understand about the 9a Tourist Visa, While rule relaxing can be good for us, the BB stamp being one and now the 3 years stay being another.

None of these relaxations actually changes the Immigration Law. That law says, We will have an Onward ticket from the PI. They can Pull that law into play at any time they feel like and by the way your, Wife/Husband has not been away 1 year, BB not Granted. My Motto is, "Don't go Looking for a Problem and the problem will not come looking for you" Respect the BOI Officers, be as peaceful as we can and we should have no problems, Go table thumping and they just might ask, "TICKET"  cos if the BB is not granted we need an Onward Ticket. 

Having said that, we should have an onward Ticket anyway as the BB, is on Arrival and the Airline have instructions from the BOI No onward No Board and the Law states on arrival an Onward Ticket. is required. The Airline may not always understand the BB Privilege.

The Other thing that BOI Offices are Starting to check is the time on our passports. We need Six [6] months minimum time left before Expiry. Beyond our intended Stay in the PI. so in reality and be safe for an Extension we need 7 months.Sorry if I sound a little pompous and maybe exact but it is something we all forget, the Law is the law and they can Pull it if they feel like it. lets not Forget that and keep our backsides Covered as much as we can.

:tiphat:

• Like 5

Gator
Posted
Posted
the Law is the law and they can Pull it if they feel like it.

Otherwise known as "selective enforcement"; no need to make the "target" we wear any larger then it already is. 

It's always better to hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
virginprune
Posted
Posted

I am returning to the UK for a few weeks in October, when I return I will be buying a single flight and an onward ticket. My question is, does the onward ticket have to be dated within the first 30 days of arrival? If not, how far into the future can one be booked for?

I look forward to your expertise regarding this. Many thanks!