Qualifying For University In Philippines

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The main problem is no other countrys accept the degrees . a Degree from a Philippine university is useless in Canada

I cannot speak for Canada, but my wife received full USA accreditation for her degrees that were earned in the Philippines.  Bachelors in Science (Chemistry), Masters in English, and Masters in Public Administration.  The accreditation process involves sending all school transcripts to a third party that evaluates the courses taken, grades received, and the school curriculum.  The process is not cheap and takes several weeks.

• Like 2

Alby
Posted
Posted

Anything in the Philippines is based on who you know and how much are you willing to pay.

Do you really think the mafia would skip the education cash cow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

In her case, Veterinary medicine is her goal and there are licensing requirements there. ?

what is her nationality?. 

2. why not ask in Canada,

what are the acknowledge,recommended  university that they would accept from the Philippines?

since she is going into Veterinary med, why not ask the " Vet school" (in Canada)who they would accept and what requirements they would want from here.

• Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My daughter-in-law is a graduate of the Purdue University, College of Veterinary Medicine. The 2014 in-state tuition, board & lodging and other expenses is estimated at $20,000 per semester. For out-of-state residents, the amount is about $40,000 per semester. That's a lot of money.  If you receive an equivalent decree (DVM) from the Philippines, you can start a professional career in the United States or Canada without being burdened by a huge amount in student loans. 

By the way, the malpractice insurance for Vets is very low because the patients, mostly dogs & cats, cannot sue. The most owners can collect is the replacement value of a pet. By comparison, I recall my surgeon telling me he pays $1,000 per day for his Errors & Omissions insurance. That's $1,000 per day! As Chief of Surgery, if any subordinate surgeons are sued, the lawyers will include him in the suit because he is their supervisor.

• Like 4

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

For the most part, yes, there is a stereotype that most things in the Philippines can be bought. Some of these stereotypes are valid. There's a reason why a lot of foreigners from the Middle East and Asia go to the Philippines for uni, and it's not just because it's cheaper. The admission standards are very low and the quality of education for some unis is abysmal. For instance, I am a volunteer tutor for immigrants (social/academic/ work English, standardized tests, basic literacy, etx.) and met a rather pompous graduate of one of the best unis in the Philippine.  UP Diliman. He said he was a consistent valedictorian/salutatorian from kindergarten to undergrad, and once his family moved to Massachusetts, he figured he could easily get into Harvard. His transcripts were excellent and his recommendations were superlative. His GRE scores, however, were horrible. Dude averaged 400 and his writing sample was scored a 2.5. He was taught to regurgitate information rather than think critically. Rote learning is the hallmark of Philippine education, which is the opposite of Western education.

That being said, I know of people with Philippine uni diplomas who went on to grad school here. Most of the Pinoys I met at Harvard (where I went for undergrad), Stanford (where I went to law school before realizing law wasn't my passion), Northeastern (where I received my first master's), and Yale (where I was accepted for a doctorate program but currently deferred) graduated from Ateneo, De la Salle, and UP Diliman. They all took the TOEFL iBT and required standardized tests. They all ranked in the 95th or higher percentile in the standardized tests, whichproved that they were not just smart according to Philippine standards, but international ones. More importantly, the scores proved that their diplomas were not bought, but rather, earned. So, yes, the validity and credibility of Philippine diplomas can often be questioned, but as long as there is proof that it was earned and that the student can measure up to international standards. Diploma plus proof of proficiency (NCLEX, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, MCAT, LSAT) are the bffs of Philippine-educated homies who are legit. 

As for transfer of credits from hs to be used for unis in the Philippines. One of my former colleagues has Manila as his duty station, and I just Facebooked him on how he was able to enroll his twins at a Manila uni. They had to have their hs report cards translated from letter grades into numeric grades (notarized). I think this is exclusive to Philippine schools, but they also had to submit certificates of good moral character. What they did was get FBI clearances and character reference letters from their pastor, coaches, teachers, etc. They also had to submit scores for a college entrance exam. Because both parents are foreigners, the twins didn't have to take the Philippine entrance test. They submitted SAT scores. IB diplomas also work. They had to get physicals and health clearances, which they had done at St. Luke's. 

Gah. Sorry for the super-long post. Please keep us posted on your daughter's application progress. 

Leilani

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The Philippine public education uses rote memory (knowledge) while the top private schools follow the discovery (inquiry) method. This is the reason why top students from Ateneo and De La Salle do well when they study overseas.

Unfortunately, the United States public school system is reverting to knowledge. It started with the imposition of "No Child Left Behind" program in 2001. The need for standardized nationwide testing requires memorization so students can fill-in the blanks or check the correct box in multiple choice. Machines can grade the papers. You can't do standardized testing using essays. The effects from the change is already being felt by American colleges and university. Half of incoming students have to attend remedial classes. Instead of four years, some students need five to six years to graduate.

• Like 1

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

True enough, JJ. The American public education system is a hot mess, especially with sweeping reforms. The Common Core State Standards aren't helping, either.

Standardized testings have recently made the shift to become less "memory" based. For instance, in 2009, the SATs was changed to include an essay portion that is also worth 800 points. This brings the perfect score from 1600 to 2400. The ACT is also currently undergoing changes to reflect the need for critical thinking aptitude. The GRE, which is used for entrance to non business, medical, and law graduate programs has always had an essay component because graduate students are required to write a lot. All the essay components are read and scored by human reviewers, not machines.

Some Philippine unis have the potential to be competitive unis in the world. These are the "rich" unis whose endowments are used to improve infrastructure and recruitment of stellar faculty. The top unis in the Philippines also tend to have faculty who don't have sticks up their you know where. By that, I mean that students are able to freely engage in an intellectual discourse with their professors without the fear of bruising the latter's delicate ego. There are fewer "the professor is always right" tantrums.

But back to the OP. The only uni in Cebu that offers veterinary medicine is Southwestern University. Commute would be long from Mactan but it's doable. Please just make sure either you or your wife pick her up if her classes run late. If yoir daughter is intent on graduating from a Philippine uni rather than transferring to a Canadian, American, or European uni after two years, but is still keeping the door open to possibly work in the US or Canada, then I suggest that she studies well in advance for the NAVLE, which is the veterinary licensure examination.

All in all, I applaud you and your wife for raising a daughter who's willing to attend uni where her parents are planning to retire. Most uni-bound students are all about the freedom!

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted
They all took the TOEFL iBT and required standardized tests.

I think you'll find that TOEFL is no longer accepted in the UK.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
That being said, I know of people with Philippine uni diplomas who went on to grad school here. Most of the Pinoys I met at Harvard (where I went for undergrad), Stanford (where I went to law school before realizing law wasn't my passion), Northeastern (where I received my first master's), and Yale (where I was accepted for a doctorate program but currently deferred) graduated from Ateneo, De la Salle, and UP Diliman.

Other universities might still turn out some outstanding grads, but my money would be on those 3 universities too.  And, I think people will find that getting into these universities is not that easy.  Where they attended grade school and high school will carry weight as well.  So, the choice of school is crucial - when I first came to Manila in the 90's, when some of my wife's friends still had kids about to enter pre-school, I heard about the coaching and the prep that went into choice pre-school testing and interviews.  I was more than a little surprised.

My wife, although not Chinese, maintains that if she were to send a child to school, she would pick Xavier for boys and ICA for girls.  The kids will soak in the discipline and the knowledge, and gain an invaluable network of friends for later in life.

• Like 1