Off The Beaten Path In Cebu

davewe
Posted
Posted

On our last vacation we scouted Bohol and Dumaguete. I really like the Duma area and would strongly consider it for future retirement (couple years).

However, my wife who grew up in Alcoy, Cebu still loves Cebu. She is very familiar with all the towns between Cebu City south to Alcoy (as I now am also) but has never traveled West or North.

So we are talking about discovering Cebu on our next trip. Any recommendations for both vacation and ultimate residence? On the West there is Badian down south, going north to Toledo, Balambam, Moalboal and Asturias.

I am not much familiar with North of Cebu City.

As far as livability I want what most seem to want: outside the big city, but still within range of shopping, medical, schools, etc.

Any thoughts?

• Like 2

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Moalboal is looking real nice these days with a new mall ,ATMs,Mcdonalds,7-11 and a ton of good resto bars  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Moalboal is looking real nice these days with a new mall ,ATMs,Mcdonalds,7-11 and a ton of good resto bars  

Even if you don't dive Moalboal is nice. You guys can take a boat out and see the island or even do some easy snorkeling.

Wow! I had no idea about the mall and ATMs. It's been too long I visited there. No ATM. Very slow dial up internet. But always great diving and food!

Do the Japanese and German divers still do a nightly parade to the buses taking them off to whatever five star resort they came from? That would be worth the trip in itself.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Moalboal is posed to be a major resort in the future I believe . 6 years ago I said  would move there if it only had internet and a atm .

​The new improvements have made my decision and I will be buying /building soon . The breaking point for me was the new bakery excellent french bread ,rolls,cinnamon buns etc . With a decent nightlife and way to many good restaurants and a great patch of white sand at white beach more and more touristy things will happen. 

It is a shame in one way because of the small town feel it still has is fading quickly  

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
going north to Toledo, Balambam, Moalboal and Asturias.

If you go all the way north it is a 1 hour roro ferry ride to Bantayan Island which used to be quite nice.  I have not been there in 5 years though.

• Like 1

afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have recently toured a good part of the island and had a great time. Ignore the 5 hours 53 minutes... it's a lot, lot more regardless how fast you drive.

trip%20cebu.PNG

I'd recommend:

- the South: starting about an hour outside of Cebu city there are great little villages and towns all along the coast right until Moalboal. Once past Car-Car it's a great ride.

ok:

- From Moalboal you continue North to Dumanjug and onwards, where you go inland and don't follow the coast. Everything North of that patch is nice enough but not nearly as scenic as the South

not recommended:

- Toledo City until the North of Cebu was quite busy, dusty and industrial, with lots of mining workers on bikes. Wouldn't do that again.

We did not go to the very North of the island, so cannot comment on that.

Edited by afathertobe
  • Like 3

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Moalboal is posed to be a major resort in the future I believe . 6 years ago I said  would move there if it only had internet and a atm .

​The new improvements have made my decision and I will be buying /building soon . The breaking point for me was the new bakery excellent french bread ,rolls,cinnamon buns etc . With a decent nightlife and way to many good restaurants and a great patch of white sand at white beach more and more touristy things will happen. 

It is a shame in one way because of the small town feel it still has is fading quickly  

How's the medical situation in or near Moalboal? I'm in great shape but one of these days I'll be in my 90s and might need a hospital :)

Edit: OK, let me take that back and say I'm in good shape for 61 (meaning upright) .

Edited by davewe
  • Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

I have recently toured a good part of the island and had a great time. Ignore the 5 hours 53 minutes... it's a lot, lot more regardless how fast you drive.

trip%20cebu.PNG

I'd recommend:

- the South: starting about an hour outside of Cebu city there are great little villages and towns all along the coast right until Moalboal. Once past Car-Car it's a great ride.

ok:

- From Moalboal you continue North to Dumanjug and onwards, where you go inland and don't follow the coast. Everything North of that patch is nice enough but not nearly as scenic as the South

not recommended:

- Toledo City until the North of Cebu was quite busy, dusty and industrial, with lots of mining workers on bikes. Wouldn't do that again.

We did not go to the very North of the island, so cannot comment on that.

This sounds like it would have been a really fun trip. Did you rent a car or take buses?

Moalboal sounds like a must see and I am being told that Balamban (while not a tourist destination) might be a great place for livability in my dotage.

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Most likely the biggest draw back to Moalboal is the lack of a real hospital they have a small hospital in Badian a few minutes away that could patch up a small wound or help if you are sick but no real emergency care . Anything serious you are a 1.5 hour ambulance ride to Cebu  Maybe 1 hour to South General Hospital depending on the ambulance driver . 

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Most likely the biggest draw back to Moalboal is the lack of a real hospital they have a small hospital in Badian a few minutes away that could patch up a small wound or help if you are sick but no real emergency care . Anything serious you are a 1.5 hour ambulance ride to Cebu  Maybe 1 hour to South General Hospital depending on the ambulance driver . 

I can deal with the 1-1.5 hours. Not expecting to live 5 minutes away. But from my wife's town (Alcoy) to the nearest (Naga) is 2+ hours, 3+ hours to Cebu. That might be inconvenient.

Also there is Toledo which is a bit closer.

Edited by davewe