Fair And Balanced News

Americano
Posted
Posted

Yesterday I saw another TV News report that wasn't Fair or Balanced. It just happened to be on the same Channel 9 as I mentioned earlier.

The reporter was interviewing a pregnant female and a male who made her pregnant.  The reporter mostly asked the female questions about getting prenatal care. At one point the reporter asked the female and the male their ages.  The female said she is 16 and the male said he is 21.  Nothing else was mentioned about their ages or the fact that the female is an under age minor which means he illegally had sex with her.  I'm sure if the male was a foreigner then the main focus of the report would have been the under age girl and how long the foreigner could spend in prison.  Being a Filipino who had sex with or raped the under aged girl there was nothing wrong with that.  In the Philippines most laws only apply to foreigners and the news media helps perpetuate that double standard.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)
In the Philippines, if you are a witness to a crime then (a) you have to provide a sworn statement and (b) appear at the trial so that you can be questioned on your testimony by lawyers of both sides.

Not true. It may be the law but it is not followed at all times.

Edited by jpbago
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
Yesterday I saw another TV News report that wasn't Fair or Balanced. It just happened to be on the same Channel 9 as I mentioned earlier.

Perhaps you should stop watching Channel 9.   :th_unfair:

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Perhaps you should stop watching Channel 9

for those who are not 100% familiar w/channel 9,

this station carries NBC nightly news and 60minutes from the  usa

also Channel 9 is the only station ( that i currently watch or aware of) that has news in ENGLISH 

Markham
Posted
Posted

In the Philippines, if you are a witness to a crime then (a) you have to provide a sworn statement and (b) appear at the trial so that you can be questioned on your testimony by lawyers of both sides.

Where Filipinos are concerned, I agree but where the witness is a foreigner, that law is usually applied.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Where Filipinos are concerned, I agree but where the witness is a foreigner, that law is usually applied.

That is the way most/all of the laws are here, applied against the foreigner.

The case that I know of where the witnesses did not have to appear is this one: The Filipina wife (60 years old) of a German passed away here and immediately, the 19 year shabu addict niece moved in with him. It must have been fun for awhile until the sister of the late wife wanted some of the action, well at least some of the money. There was a fight on the street with many witnesses. A good fight with lots of hair pulling, clothes ripped off and nail scratching. Something like a cockfight. Then the police came. Then court. My niece and her friend were there so they filed statements but when court came, they refused to appear. The statements then could not be used. My wife was in court at the same time, both times, doing her annulment so she got this info from the horse's mouth. What bothered me was that the German had entertained my niece, her friend, their husbands, and their children for years taking them out on overnight road trips, bought them gold jewelry, many meals at restaurants and at home, like many, many, many and when it came time for them to help him, they all refused. I could not believe it even after I talked to my niece that it is her duty as a citizen. Filipinos help Filipinos and nobody else no matter what. The German had to pay 1 million pesos to the niece, plus both lawyer costs plus an interpreter from Manila  as the court was held in Illongo, not English nor German. The judgement was based on his fault as he was there in the PI (having his dream), if not, they would not have fought. Then his new wife, the sister of the late wife, threatened him with deportation so he bought her a new suv and lots of jewelry. She developed a big head. Now, word is out that she wants him gone. He does not leave the house anymore. His dream turned out to be a nightmare. 

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
He served his entire 6 years incarceration in the navy brig at Subic

Wow .... if he did I sure feel sorry for him .... Subic was a red line brig and with only a handful of them threw out the world they were hell ..... (I know as I spent 6 months as a brig chaser) .... I never was in Subic but I was in Gitmo and talk about hell on earth ... it was for sure ....  :thumbsup: ..... there is no Filipino jail or prison on earth that can compare to being locked up in a red-line brig ....

:cheersty:  

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Perhaps you should stop watching Channel 9

for those who are not 100% familiar w/channel 9,

this station carries NBC nightly news and 60minutes from the  usa

also Channel 9 is the only station ( that i currently watch or aware of) that has news in ENGLISH 

You are correct and that's why I started watching it.  Watching news which is in Tagalog is useless to me.  Also, this week it was announced that Channel 9 has been chosen to be CNN Philippines.  They didn't say when the change over would start but that's very impressive to be chosen by CNN.  When it becomes CNN then we will have live world news coverage which is not available in the Philippines now.

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted
live world news GARBAGE coverage which IS available in the Philippines now.
Sorry had to fix that for you  :cheersty:  :thumbsup:

Americano
Posted
Posted

That is the way most/all of the laws are here, applied against the foreigner.

The case that I know of where the witnesses did not have to appear is this one: The Filipina wife (60 years old) of a German passed away here and immediately, the 19 year shabu addict niece moved in with him. It must have been fun for awhile until the sister of the late wife wanted some of the action, well at least some of the money. There was a fight on the street with many witnesses. A good fight with lots of hair pulling, clothes ripped off and nail scratching. Something like a cockfight. Then the police came. Then court. My niece and her friend were there so they filed statements but when court came, they refused to appear. The statements then could not be used. My wife was in court at the same time, both times, doing her annulment so she got this info from the horse's mouth. What bothered me was that the German had entertained my niece, her friend, their husbands, and their children for years taking them out on overnight road trips, bought them gold jewelry, many meals at restaurants and at home, like many, many, many and when it came time for them to help him, they all refused. I could not believe it even after I talked to my niece that it is her duty as a citizen. Filipinos help Filipinos and nobody else no matter what. The German had to pay 1 million pesos to the niece, plus both lawyer costs plus an interpreter from Manila  as the court was held in Illongo, not English nor German. The judgement was based on his fault as he was there in the PI (having his dream), if not, they would not have fought. Then his new wife, the sister of the late wife, threatened him with deportation so he bought her a new suv and lots of jewelry. She developed a big head. Now, word is out that she wants him gone. He does not leave the house anymore. His dream turned out to be a nightmare. 

Every foreigner needs to read this story to help them understand how Filipinos think and to understand why foreigners are always blamed for every crime if they are anywhere near the crime or a relative of a victim or suspect, ie. the crime wouldn't have happened if the foreigner didn't come here, which is very ignorant thinking.

• Like 1