Advice Much Appreciated - British Balikbayan With 2 Months Remaining On Stamp

radnorgardens
Posted
Posted

Hi fellow expats,

I have read most of the posts relating to the Balikbayan privilege on this forum and the general advice seems to be that to remain in the Philippines for the next 12 months, the best option is to leave the country briefly before the Balikbayan stamp date expires and then return (with my wife) to apply for another Balikbayan stamp.

My situation:

- I am British and married to a Filipina

- Living here with my three children (one Filipino and two Filipino-British)

- Entered the Philippines in January 2014.

- I am not seeking employment here (but might consider my options at the end of 2015)

When I did my original research at the end of last year, I was told by the Philippine Embassy in the UK (via my wife) that all I had to do to renew my Balikbayan status was show up at the BI main office and avail another 12 months. My understanding was that I could continue this process indefinitely. This is obviously conflicting with the advice from this site and is different from the BI website on Balikbayan status too - http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php/faqs/visa-inquiry/balikbayan-previlege

Whilst extending for the next 12 months is the priority I am actually interested in extending for an undetermined period of time. I would also like to have the option of leaving the country (for business) and being able to return with no effect on my ability to stay here without being dependent on my wife having to accompany me.

Is there any limit to the number of times you can extend/re-apply a Balikbayan stamp?

Is a '9a tourist visa' and/or a '13a conditional/permanent visa' more appropriate?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I was told by the Philippine Embassy in the UK (via my wife) that all I had to do to renew my Balikbayan status was show up at the BI main office and avail another 12 months.

Someone gave you bad info or there's some misunderstanding. I believe the BB can only be given at the port of entry, you have to return to the country with your spouse and have a valid marriage certificate. The law says the returning former Filipino citizen must be out of the country for at least a year but they have not been enforcing that. If you are going to be staying in the Philippines and traveling out and back by yourself the 13a would be the better way in the long run.  

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
would also like to have the option of leaving the country (for business) and being able to return with no effect on my ability to stay here without being dependent on my wife having to accompany me.  . . .   Is a '9a tourist visa' and/or a '13a conditional/permanent visa' more appropriate?

Assuming your marriage is secure and you wish to spend most of your time in Philippines then the 13a (married visa) would work well for you.  I have heard horror stories that it is a pain to get and that you have to remain in this country the entire time your 13a is being processed (confirmation requested from those that have done it please).

In the meantime, you can stay on a BB stamp for 12 months and then convert it to a tourist visa and continue to stay for up to 2 more years (3 years total if I am not misinformed).  This gives you flexibility to come and go as you wish but has a cost in the neighborhood of 18,000 pesos a year (renewable in 2 or 6 month intervals).

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

My situation is almost identical with yours, except we have no children.  The previous post are correct in that you either have to leave/return or convert to a tourist visa.  We had planned to go on a short vacation to Hong Kong, but an illness in the family prevented the trip.  After some discussion, we decided to apply for the 13A visa as it should make life a little more simple going forward.  

radnorgardens
Posted
Posted

Thank you for all your responses.

I discussed this with the wife last night and we've decided to go on a holiday (either Hong Kong or Thailand) to coincide with the BB stamp expiring and then on our return, ask for another BB stamp but make arrangements for the 13a visa. 

I am assuming the 13a is a non-quota immigration visa - correct? I don't see it referred as a 13a visa anywhere....

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I am assuming the 13a is a non-quota immigration visa - correct? I don't see it referred as a 13a visa anywhere....

From the BI website:

I am an alien whose country has an immigration reciprocity agreement with the Philippines. I am also married to a Filipino. Am I qualified to apply for permanent resident visa?

Yes, under the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940, Section 13 (a) you are eligible for permanent residency in the Philippines. This visa is issued to an alien on the basis of his valid marriage to a Philippine citizen.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php/faqs/visa-inquiry/permanent-resident-visa

• Like 1

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Anyone know the cost of a 13a visa? I was thinking of applying also

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Anyone know the cost of a 13a visa?

:hystery:  an Arm and a Leg ++++  seriously though, I reckon you won't get much Change out of 40/50,000. the costs seem to vary office to office, BUT the ACO in Dumaguete told me on Monday, Many are now Going to Singapore and KL to do it. (at the Philippine Embassies) it is Cheaper and you get the Perminant straight away, No year Probation. Check out the Filipino Embassys in Singers and KL for verification on this. Seems the main Stumbling Block for the Embassy to issue, is the Police Clearance from your own Country.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Many are now Going to Singapore and KL to do it.

Wow, what a great idea.  So you are suggesting taking the gf to Singapore on a vacation (eloping to get married) and then getting a 13a at the embassy there?  The lover in me finds that so romantic but the cheapskate in me finds it even better   :hystery:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Wow, what a great idea.  So you are suggesting taking the gf to Singapore on a vacation (eloping to get married) and then getting a 13a at the embassy there?  The lover in me finds that so romantic but the cheapskate in me finds it even better  

Well yes, although, I have no idea how long you have to be Married before you can Apply for a 13a but for me a marriage certificate, is a Marriage Certificate. Of course I guess you Could even get married at the Philippine Embassy? That I don't know either if Possible but I see no reason why not.

Might be worth researching this, if you don't have time I will certainly do it for you.

JP :tiphat: