One World- Different Nationalities

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well here goes Guys n Dolls.

My first opening Topic.

I have always found it fairly easy to communicate with other Nationalities wherever I have travelled.

The Philippines has been no exception. What I dont understand is when we are all in the same boat why some people find it hard to converse.

On one occasion I spent a week with a family in Germany and the head of the household Hans could not speak a word of English and I could not speak a word of German.

Yet we got on fine together, went for walks, beers and being introduced to other non English speaking people. It was one of the best holidays I have had!

Has any one experienced problems here in Philippines communicating either with the locals or other Expats while living here?

Edited by Kuya John

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Conversation is very easy in the Philippines. It's in the culture.

Understanding why people do things can be mind bending

• Like 1

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

I never had a problem with talking to anyone in the Philippines. People are not shy about asking me questions, which makes it easy to find things to talk about. I don't talk much unless I have something to say and if I don't say enough, they'll keep asking questions.

The big problems that I witnessed with conversations between foreigners and Filipinos is that some foreigners think they know it all. If things aren't done THEIR way, they are not being done correctly. I had one "acquaintance" who would get EXTREMELY mad daily over very small things that he didn't think were "right". For example, numerous times he exploded at Jollibee cashiers because they didn't quite get his order right (even before it was rang up). He would insult their knowledge of English and start yelling.

I don't understand people like that, but there are more than a few of them in the Philippines...

• Like 5

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Yes have seen a few examples myself John

When my wife to be and I were processing our marriage papers, I came across a fellow Englishman who had a problem processing his marriage papers. The guy was swearing at the clerk , ranting, banging the counter. I had a word with him and he left. It turned out the Lady on his marriage papers was not the Lady with him!

I ended up apologising for his behaviour and explained that he was not twenty shillings in the pound (old money) In other word he was mentally lacking. Quite honestly I don't know how he found his way to the Philippines.

When you are in a host country, one should remember you are representing your own country and behave accordingly.

Regards JB

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Has any one experienced problems here in Philippines communicating either with the locals or other Expats while living here?
Well. SOME Filipins are bad at English AND scared of lose face by showing it, so they try to avound talking English.

But talk a litle very bad at their local language (or Tagalog) can sometimes make them relax   :)    

The less people listening of people they know , the biger chance they don't bother about lose face.  

Some relax very much by a few beers   :lol:    

but I have never used the beer. solution. A nice smile is often enough.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
some foreigners think they know it all

You mean we don't??? :unsure:

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I don’t condone this type of behavior by foreigners and in my time here I have seen very little of it. What I have personally experienced is having a lobotomized pod pull an insane rule or “policy” out of a lower body cavity that has the net effect of creating a significant problem - and I’m not talking about a few missing ketchup packets in a Jollibee bag. On those relatively few occasions I have been the irate, red-faced guy and rightfully so, as would any reasonable human when stupidity crosses into insanity. But most tourists don’t see that side of the fence, they go back home raving about how great the “customer service” is because some sales clerk fawned over them or the shotgun-toting security guard opened the door and addressed them as “sir”. 

• Like 2

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

some foreigners think they know it all

You mean we don't??? :unsure:

I wasn't speaking of us, of course.

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

...they go back home raving about how great the “customer service” is because ... the shotgun-toting security guard opened the door and addressed them as “sir”. 

The guard at my local Jollibee was always friendly and talked with me. I was glad to be on his good side.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don’t condone this type of behavior by foreigners and in my time here I have seen very little of it. What I have personally experienced is having a lobotomized pod pull an insane rule or “policy” out of a lower body cavity that has the net effect of creating a significant problem - and I’m not talking about a few missing ketchup packets in a Jollibee bag. On those relatively few occasions I have been the irate, red-faced guy and rightfully so, as would any reasonable human when stupidity crosses into insanity. But most tourists don’t see that side of the fence, they go back home raving about how great the “customer service” is because some sales clerk fawned over them or the shotgun-toting security guard opened the door and addressed them as “sir”. 

Well in my book politeness goes a long way, they can call me "Sir" anytime they want and usually respect calms any situation down.

Tell you what does scare me though....that picture of you in uniform pointing a finger at me! Have a good day Sir, I mean Mike. :thumbsup:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1