Where To Buy Smartphone In Cebu For P10,000

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

I want to buy a phone as soon as I land in Cebu next Tuesday. Can I get some recommendations on the best value shops and a recommended phone would be nice also. Something along the lines of this

http://www.fonearena...-3c-review.html

Maybe there is better value to be had in local branded phones like cherry or myphone

Battery life is a consideration for me. I hate the way apple make their phone lighter all the time instead of putting in a bigger battery.

I'd love some recommendations. Budget is a bit flexible for the right phone

Thanks.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

It all depends on what you will do with the phone? On the internet all the time pulling up websites and maps for directions? Or do you mostly talk and text and just occasionally use the internet?

If you like Iphone, that's what I would get along with an external battery pack in case you run out of power away from an outlet or there is a brownout.

Cloud phone makes a 4,000 mah battery phone, 4 or 4.5 inch screen. THL from China makes a 5,000 mah phone, might cost slightly more than 10k piso. Lenovo makes the P780 4,000 mah phone, I have heard of a couple cases where the wifi reception is weak but I have found Lenovo to be a sturdy and quality product.

I carry a Huawei Mediapad X1 LTE, 7 inch screen, 5,000 Mah battery good for 2 days with 4 hours of web surfing each day, it's my laptop replacement. It was 15,500 php at CMK Cellular. I'm using my laptop tethered to it right now at my friends house and I have a better connection than he has with a 15 meter tower.

Cherry Mobile has a model called the Fuze that has a 4,000 Mah battery, the processor is decent but not massively powered the phone has a FWVGA screen that doesn't strain the processor. It also has a surprisingly good camera for a phone with such specifications.

Other than get what you like and an external battery pack, my advise would be to get decent local budget price phone [1k piso ] until you find what you want, if you don't need internet on a phone immediately. I have a Starmobile 202, dual sim with vga camera and flashlight. It talks well, is audible, has a flashlight that I use way more than most people would believe and it survives in my pocket in the damp and tropical heat. You can also pull this phone out anywhere.

Edited by robert k

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

Internet on phone is exactly what I want.

Thanks

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have used the MyPhone Rio for quite a few months and have been very happy with it.  I got mine for p3,500 (I think it has gone up to p5,000), 5" screen, very responsive touchscreen, fast processor, Android, Dual sim, front & back camera...

http://www.myphone.com.ph/rio/

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

I have read good things about the Rio. Some people don't like the myphone brand but they should be easy enough to get in Cebu.

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
I have used the MyPhone Rio for quite a few months and have been very happy with it

I can't remember, but isn't it MyPhone that sends you daily or twice daily "Blessing" messages? Let an American based company try that one, lol.

Can I get some recommendations on the best value shops and a recommended phone would be nice also.

A few people here I know all have Cherry Mobile phones, very good value for the money. One girl I've known for a few years has the Flare 2.0 (think they just released the 3.0), she's been using it a year and other then the occasional lock up where she's had to restart the phone, she's had no issues with. It's quad core processor is quite fast and even after a year of daily use the 1550Mah battery still holds a charge quite well. 

http://www.cherrymobile.com.ph/products/smart-social

For purchasing, all of the malls have retail outlets for the various phones; usually they're grouped together in a "Digital Zone" or some similar named area. Prices for any given new phone are all about the same at the shops, perhaps a few hundred peso variance if they happen to have a promo (sale) or they may throw in a case/screen protector (recommended).

Cherry Mobile has OEM kiosks in both Ayala and SM Malls. Ayala = go inside the Metro Department store (not the food store) and take their escalators to the top floor, as you get off look to the right and you'll see the kiosk (plus a few others). In SM = I think the kiosk is in the "Digital Zone", if I recall it's a stand alone kiosk on the south side of the center atrium (but don't hold me to that, lol).

Most, if not all, of the shops can also sell you a SIM card and load. They'll be more then happy to install it for you and get you up and running. I don't know what you're using now, but if you buy an Android phone it will save time if you already have a Gmail account (I didn't a few years back and had to set one up). To get going Smart has a promo - MEGA250 = for 250 pesos you get 30 days of unli text to all networks; 180 minutes of talk time (to Smart, Sun and Talk n' Text users); and 100Mb of data. You can add more data if you need it (various plans available), but I generally I use WiFi in the hotel, malls, etc and only turn on my cell data if I really need it - like if I get lost, then I'll pull up Google maps. To avail of it - simply load your phone with 250 pesos (you may have to get a 300p prepaid load card as they don't sell a 250p one) and then text: MEGA250 to 2477.

As a side note, unless you get an unli net plan for your phone then keep your cell data switched off, otherwise your limited Mb load will disappear rather quickly as most phones keep "pinging" the server every few minutes.

Edited by Gator

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
I can't remember, but isn't it MyPhone that sends you daily or twice daily "Blessing" messages? Let an American based company try that one, lol.

I have never gotten one.   :tiphat:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I have used the MyPhone Rio for quite a few months and have been very happy with it.  I got mine for p3,500 (I think it has gone up to p5,000), 5" screen, very responsive touchscreen, fast processor, Android, Dual sim, front & back camera...

http://www.myphone.com.ph/rio/

I agree Tim I bought J a Rio almost 5 months ago and she loves it .... I'm still using my MyPhone 858 Duo and have for the past 3 years .... we have been using MyPhones now for the past 6+ years and love them .... when we get a new one we pass the old one on down the line so I can honestly say for us they are great .... :thumbsup:

As to the prayer messages yes they do have the Pinoy apps which include the prayer bundle but it is simple to turn off .... just tell them if you decide to get one and they will turn that feature off for you ....

Bad things ..... you can't update you OS with MyPhone .... what you get is what you will have .... you can download lots of apps if you want .... service is great for the couple of times we have used it .... actually it was human error and not the fault of the phone ....

Only family member who was able to destroy one of the MYPhones we passed down is J's niece and she destroys everything from cell phones to the tablet her uncle sent her from Canada .... she is using a BS brand phone right now and we have taken it back 4 times in less than 6 months ..... when the warranty runs out she will be SOL ..... case looks like it went through WW II ....

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I have read good things about the Rio. Some people don't like the myphone brand but they should be easy enough to get in Cebu.

Is there a reason for buying in Cebu? I mean do you own one now that you can just buy a sim for if the phones not locked to a network or buy one before leaving home.

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

Is there a reason for buying in Cebu? I mean do you own one now that you can just buy a sim for if the phones not locked to a network or buy one before leaving home.

Yes exactly. My phone is locked to my network. Another 8 months left before I can unlock it. Most phones are locked to a network here.