Foreigners Behaving Badly

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

I got an email from a friend, seems a Mr"D" allegedly got himself taken into custody at the Waterfront Hotel in Cebu for allegedly hitting a taxi driver and damaging his cab and also allegedly damaging some plants in front of the hotel. added Note, I changed my original post and all successive posts because it was brought to my attention by a friend, that although there is a video which the police happen to have a copy of, and the person who supplied the information to me is in a position to know exactly who was in that video, I do not know Mr D personally by appearances so I cannot say for sure that he is the one in the video. I can say that the man in the video was very large in comparison the 5 or 6 police officers that were trying to subdue him. I just hope that he did not hurt any of those police officers for obvious reasons and I also hope that he will be OK when all is said and done. I Bossman have again edited this topic,the topic has been renamed "Foreigners behaving badly" I have done this to remove the person in questions name and to allow comments on behavior of foreigners without pointing to one individual.

Edited by Boss Man

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)

I dont know him but I bet I know where to find him. :Policeman:

Edited by Mr. Lee

Travis
Posted
Posted

there must be a few Mr "D"s because I met one from Florida one day in Robinsons & he was not the one on the video that was on tv yesterday. That guy was also said to be a Mr D & he is probably going to get deported because the video was on TV and showed it all, him looking pretty drunk & it took quite a few pnp to finally subdue him. I guess if he has enough money then he might get off. I wonder why people let themselves get that drunk

BobNChe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I know Mr D very well and he's a good friend. All charges have been dropped and he is fine. I'm not going to discuss the details of the incident because it's not prudent to do so.Mr D likes to party a bit just like most of us.Thank you Lee for editing the previous posts as it was the right thing to do. Sometimes these news stories that get posted about "unknown people" to some have real impact on the people that live here full time.Best to all! Sorry to be MIA but working too hard.

Edited by Boss Man
removed names

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I know Mr D very well and he's a good friend. All charges have been dropped and he is fine. I'm not going to discuss the details of the incident because it's not prudent to do so.Mr D likes to party a bit just like most of us.Thank you Lee for editing the previous posts as it was the right thing to do. Sometimes these news stories that get posted about "unknown people" to some have real impact on the people that live here full time.Best to all! Sorry to be MIA but working too hard.
Please read edit in first post
Sometimes these news stories that get posted about "unknown people" to some have real impact on the people that live here full time.
The problem extends further than from people who live there full time. Please don't take this as a personal attack but this is not the first time people you know have hit the news for bad behavior. Therefor I decided that this topic should be about how a foreigner is expected to behave while in a host country.In my opinion people who let themselves go to a point where they are an embarrassment to all foreigners should get what the deserve and I have no pity for them,it makes all foreigners look bad.I love a drink and party myself but have never forgotten where I am and how to behave. Surely bad behavior by a few must reflect on us all in the long run?Anyone else got an opinion about this ???? :1247: This can lead to this SugarwareZ-267.gif which = :) then :Policeman: final result perhaps deportation and all foreigner's being painted with the same brush.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
The problem extends further than from people who live there full time. Please don't take this as a personal attack but this is not the first time people you know have hit the news for bad behavior.Therefor I decided that this topic should be about how a foreigner is expected to behave while in a host country.In my opinion people who let themselves go to a point where they are an embarrassment to all foreigners should get what the deserve and I have no pity for them,it makes all foreigners look bad.I love a drink and party myself but have never forgotten where I am and how to behave. Surely bad behavior by a few must reflect on us all in the long run?Anyone else got an opinion about this ???? :1247: This can lead to this SugarwareZ-267.gif which = :) then :Policeman: final result perhaps deportation and all foreigner's being painted with the same brush.
I don't think the negative attitude towards foreigners is created by anything foreigners do today. Filipinos have been sticking it to Westerners since Magellan landed on these shores. One drunken a-hole in Cebu won't change anything for good or bad.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hi Bob, welcome back and glad to hear that you have been busy with work, that is usually a good thing and especially in these troubled times.I of course did not know who he is and never met him before or I would surely have remembered him just because of his size. I had gotten an email with a video of him getting himself arrested and it really put him and all expats in a bad light IMO, and at one point it looked like one officer felt it might be necessary to shoot him because he had his hand on his gun. I really do not think people should let themselves get drunk to that point while in a foreign country because IMO they make us all look bad, and if they are going to party until they are totally wasted then they should at least have some friends around to keep them under control. It does seem that it has become a habit for some foreigners to take it out on the locals when they get drunk and that is really wrong IMO. I am glad he did not get himself killed but it does seem that he came very close and the officers would have been found justified IMO just based on his huge size in comparison to them. I would also guess that the person who sent me those things also felt it was wrong that he got off with no punishment and maybe that was why they sent it to me. Anyway, this is flogging a dead horse because it has happened before and I am sure it will no doubt happen again and nothing I say will change that and some of these guys will never learn from their mistakes and their friends mistakes, as long as they can buy their way out of the jam they get themselves into. I think a person getting himself on TV and getting his name mentioned on forums might be a deterrent to that type of behavior in the future by himself or others, but I sure do not wish to be the one who castigates him for his actions because I also drink from time to time, but I think you know that both you and I are happy drunks and know enough to not cause any problems when we are drinking and always have someone with us to keep us in line should we go overboard and that has never happened to me and I do not think it has to you either because we both know better than to do that.Let me finish by saying that I hope he and others have learned a lesson by what happened, but since he got off and IMO really should not have based on what I saw, then the only lesson that may have been learned by some, is that it is who you know and how much money you have and you can do just about anything and get away with it, and that surely sends the wrong message to the Filipino community about expats, again all just IMO.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Hi Bob, welcome back and glad to hear that you have been busy with work, that is usually a good thing and especially in these troubled times.I of course did not know who he is and never met him before or I would surely have remembered him just because of his size. I had gotten an email with a video of him getting himself arrested and it really put him and all expats in a bad light IMO, and at one point it looked like one officer felt it might be necessary to shoot him because he had his hand on his gun. I really do not think people should let themselves get drunk to that point while in a foreign country because IMO they make us all look bad, and if they are going to party until they are totally wasted then they should at least have some friends around to keep them under control. It does seem that it has become a habit for some foreigners to take it out on the locals when they get drunk and that is really wrong IMO. I am glad he did not get himself killed but it does seem that he came very close and the officers would have been found justified IMO just based on his huge size in comparison to them. I would also guess that the person who sent me those things also felt it was wrong that he got off with no punishment and maybe that was why they sent it to me. Anyway, this is flogging a dead horse because it has happened before and I am sure it will no doubt happen again and nothing I say will change that and some of these guys will never learn from their mistakes and their friends mistakes, as long as they can buy their way out of the jam they get themselves into. I think a person getting himself on TV and getting his name mentioned on forums might be a deterrent to that type of behavior in the future by himself or others, but I sure do not wish to be the one who castigates him for his actions because I also drink from time to time, but I think you know that both you and I are happy drunks and know enough to not cause any problems when we are drinking and always have someone with us to keep us in line should we go overboard and that has never happened to me and I do not think it has to you either because we both know better than to do that.Let me finish by saying that I hope he and others have learned a lesson by what happened, but since he got off and IMO really should not have based on what I saw, then the only lesson that may have been learned by some, is that it is who you know and how much money you have and you can do just about anything and get away with it, and that surely sends the wrong message to the Filipino community about expats, again all just IMO.
It does seem that it has become a habit for some foreigners to take it out on the locals when they get drunk and that is really wrong IMO. I am glad he did not get himself killed but it does seem that he came very close and the officers would have been found justified IMO just based on his huge size in comparison to them. I would also guess that the person who sent me those things also felt it was wrong that he got off with no punishment and maybe that
The trouble with some is that they have a mentality that says, "I am above a Filipino",I am from a first world county and know better than you,I can beat the shit out of a little prick,etc etcNow of course this is magnified with a few to many drinks,just being a larger frame makes these guys feel even bigger.Now when someone is shown on TV crying with his pants down, it changes who the small one is.

Travis
Posted
Posted

this is a very tough subject but after watching that video on tv the other night, I hope the locals as you guys put it do not hold it against all of us & if I was him I would go hide under a rock & never show my face in public again. He may not have been charged because he must have paid off or knows somebody but if they let him stay in this country after he abused locals that way then there is no justice at all in this country & he obviously thinks he is superior to the locals. I am glad I am an American but many Filipinos do not seem to differentiate between the whites here & think we are all just kanos & will probably treat me bad because of his actions. I think I will stay away from that hotel for a while

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted

I am a Filipino and it upsets me to see how some foreigners treat my countrymen. Some of you are very nice but the bad foreigners make all foreigners start to look bad.