Chat On A Hot Tin Roof

Thomas
Posted
Posted
3 - Fill the 8" space with insulation (hard to do now the construction is finished)

5 - Put in a roof exhaust fan to suck out the hot air between the metal roof and the ceiling (grasping at straws?)

I believe you better NOT make it tight direct under the metal roof.

1. Moist > mold risk  (?)   I suppouse it's such risk specialy during the high moist in the air season.

2. Keep the chance to MOVE OUT the extra heat direct under the metal roof.

I'm not sure if you need any fan. A guy in Thailand had built an effective house by, which (almost) never needed aircon, just slow fans INSIDE the house sometimes.

/Roof WITH A WENT close to the TOP  (=The heat goes UP, so it became self ventilation.

/Air space

/Issolation

/HIGH to the roof.

Compare: 

An easy assistance to make the heat stay INSIDE in cold Sweden is puting reflectors BEHIIND the heating radiators at the wall. There are special ones, which has an irregular surface making the hear bounce to the sides, not straight back to the radiator, but common thin cooking aluminimum foil assist rather much too.

I guess same princip can be used in hot countrires, but kind of OPPOSITE   :)   

/Metal

/Air

/Foil

/Issolation

Remember much heat can come in though the windows. There are several different types of solutions. Many Filipins hang a tarpaulin outside, but there are other more stylish solutions   :)    e g double/tripple glassing io special heat reduction foils specialy made for windows.

Curley
Posted
Posted

For window insulation ...... if you have no decent view from the window then tack a sheet of 1" polistyrene to the outside of the glass .... it lets quite a bit of light in but no heat. Cheap as chips too.

• Like 1