Meeting Poker Mike

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Yesterday, my wife and I had a wonderful time meeting Poker Mike. He invited us for lunch and we spent several hours conversing about retirement and the Philippines. One topic was preparing balikbayan boxes that can be shipped at a later date by a relative or friend. The general claim that you can purchase anything after arrival is a bit of a stretch. Here are a few items Cathi suggested. It is based on her experience sending gift boxes to her friends. All items are available from Costco.

Bath Towels

Hand Towels

Sheets

Pillows

Combs & Brushes

Floss and Toothbrushes

Ziplock Freezer Bags

Saran Wrap

The quality of hand and bath towels sold in the Philippines is poor. Cathi sends a dozen each and her friends use only two at a time. The reason is they have washing machines, but no dryers. After repeated sun drying, the towels become rough. Sheets sold at department stores have a low thread count unless you are willing to pay exorbitant prices. The large freezer bags are used to store valuable papers including passports. You can make them airtight as a protection against the high humidity.

Anyone else has suggestions on what to ship?

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Yes, In my box I sent recently was toiletries (shampoo, soaps, make up)-the good quality kind-not the knock offs in nice containers. Flavor packets (McCormick brand) to enhance the foods (all kinds), spicy mustard, batteries (on sale), can goods like name brand CB Hash, baked beans-and dollar stor toys if there's any kids-are a few suggestions.

jon1
Posted
Posted

It really depends on where you live on product availability. I can get saran wrap and ziplock freezer bags frequently. I agree about the towels, it is hard to find good soft absorbent towels. I recommend these for dehumidifying a closet space http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-E-500-Renewable-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFD2/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1418262566&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=eva+dehumidifier I put two of these in my freezer that I am using for fermenting my beer and they work great. Once the desiccant is moist you just plug into an outlet for about 18 hours then it's ready to go. It says they last for 10 years. I am going to get some for my closets to help keep mold and mildew down. Good spices are hard to find (Grill mate comes to mind).

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I have had no problem finding those items listed above. If you need fancy towels and high-thread sheets you probably won't be staying long-term in the Philippines.

I have not seen the Braun Oral B toothbrush I use here (110v) or the refills so I buy them through Amazon - but I'm sure someone will say they're "everywhere". Maybe I need an eye exam lol.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
I have not seen the Braun Oral B toothbrush I use here (110v)

Is the Braun charger 110v to 240v like it is for shavers, laptops, cameras, and phones?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Is the Braun charger 110v to 240v like it is for shavers, laptops, cameras, and phones?

No, it says 110-130V~. I use a transformer to charge.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have not seen the Braun Oral B toothbrush I use here (110v) or the refills so I buy them through Amazon - but I'm sure someone will say they're "everywhere".

aussie.gif   "MIKE"   They ARE Everywhere   missing.gif just like a Policeman when you Actually need One police.gif

scooter.gif As always mileage will vary to find them 

Yep you all guessed it Jack's got nothing better to do to-daysmoke.gif

JP :tiphat:  :thumbsup:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have not seen the Braun Oral B toothbrush I use here (110v) or the refills so I buy them through Amazon - but I'm sure someone will say they're "everywhere".

aussie.gif   "MIKE"   They ARE Everywhere   missing.gif just like a Policeman when you Actually need One police.gif

scooter.gif As always mileage will vary to find them 

Yep you all guessed it Jack's got nothing better to do to-daysmoke.gif

JP :tiphat:  :thumbsup:

Nothing to do? why is the sari sari closed haha

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Nothing to do? why is the sari sari closed haha

No Budget post-2148-0-23594400-1418267308_thumb.jp anyway, my mate is tied up at this time of Day ec.gif

shame he ain't here I could beg a post-2148-0-48615500-1418267197.jpg LOL  :hystery:

Sorry Folks but when the humour is there we just Gotta go for it.

OK! OK! I know the Drill post-2148-0-75320100-1418267553_thumb.jp

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Sending the quality items in a BB box is a great idea because even when you find those items here they will be very expensive.  It is hard to find things the first time and then, when you find them once, it seems they turn up everywhere.

Drapery hooks are an example.  I searched everywhere for them and gave up . . thats when I spotted them.

• Like 2