G'day - Seeking Info On Living In The Philippines

nicole
Posted
Posted

I have been researching but will be doing a lot more before making the move. Thanks heaps for the suggestions and info.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Need I say, have plenty socked back in savings or a good position before you make the move. Good luck and welcome.

• Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Nicole and welcome!  Not trying to be a downer and discourage you too much, but the Philippines isn't the best place to raise a teenage daughter.  A country that makes for good wives doesn't necessarily make for good daughters.  Yeah, you can replicate a western education here (at a steep price), but the absence of morality and general corruption that she would experience along the way....it's a deal breaker for most foreigners living here raising daughters, myself included. Good luck to you.

edit.... 

Edited by Larry45
  • Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I am a disability support worker here in Australia and have my certificate iv in disability.
I don't klnow if the Filipin work permit handlers find the Philippines having to few of such(missing such knowledge. 

'

Compare:  I saw a number somewhere saying there are 400 000 examed Filipin nurses MORE than there are such jobs in the Philippines and they go on educating to many...  So a lot of them have to GO ABROAD to get work.

BUT many expats WITHOUT teacher exams but with English as first language, get work as English teachers or in positions in Call Centers.

But even if foreigners can get SOME more pay for such jobs, it's still low pay after our messure.

Forum member Papa Carl told about his experiences from this, but I don't remember about salaries.   (A FILIPIN high school teacher earn only around 15 000 pesos per month in  provinces, more in Manila.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Nicole,,I really don't want to seem to be a downer. But in my opinion, the Philippines is not a good place to pull a geographic (sorry American term when one gets fed up and move to a new place to try and start over). Its good that your dad is here and you have a place to stay, but trust me when I say, visiting here is a long way from living here.

Let me just list a few downers

No real health program, you or your girl gets ill, you'll will either pay out of pocket or have to go to the expense of getting health insurance

No safety net to speak of, I cant speak for OZ but unlike the states there is no social security, unemployment, WIC (women with children) supplemental program. In other words its pretty much all cash and carry here. You really don't want to run out of money in the Philippines.

Work? as has been said before, if you can get a job with a foreign company and have them send you here GREAT...DO IT! RIGHT NOW! If not, I would not bet very much of my pension on the odds of you getting a job here. Just to many obstacles and hoops to jump through.

By all means continue with your research, save as much as you can, look for an employer there, and keep your head up.

Again, don't want to be a downer,,just the real picture here on the ground.

god bless

• Like 3