Riding A Motorbike Around Luzon With Baby On Board

intrepid
Posted
Posted
If we lived in some quaint town or village it would be a different affair altogether, but there is no way to escape Taguig traffic and drive around some quiet and slow roads that I'm aware of.

The below link is just one of many similar stories I remembered for my wife's hometown.

http://www.sancarloscity.org/news/motorcycle-accident-near-burgers-and-beer

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Let's keep the comments constructive and not personal. Thanks.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

FTB and anyone else that is following this. my wife sent this to me a short while ago, Reason: her office mate has just been fined 4.000 peso for taking her child of 6 to school on a motorcycle. she knew I was following this Story so here is what she sent

To all motorcycle owners!

Children aged 10 and below are not allowed anymore to ride on motorcycle while it is mobile on the road.

A memorandum from the PNP National Headquarters in Camp Crame stated that all motorcycle drivers are not allowed to carry young passengers especially children aged 10 and below.

The memorandum is based on Republic Act 10054 otherwise known as the Helmet Law that also prohibits children below 10 years old to ride on motorcycles as provided under R.A 7610 otherwise known as the Child Protection Law.

Sec. 3 of the “Motorcycle Safety for Children Act of 2012 privdies that It shall be unlawful for any person to transport a child below ten (10) years of age and above may only be transported aboard a motorcycle if:

a. He or she is wearing a standard protective helmet referred under Republic Act No. 10054, otherwise known as the “Motorcycle Helmet Act of 2009”;
b. The feet of the child can comfortable reach the footrest of the motorcycle; and
c. The arms of the child can reach around and grasp the waist of the motorcycle driver.

Sec. 4 Limitation on the Number of Passengers. – No motorcycle shall carry more than two (2) passengers, including the driver, while operating on a road or highway except in remote areas where a child to be transported requires immediate medical treatment and in an emergency situation.

*Chiquiting

So my friends and fellow Members, There is a Law albeit  part of another Law but it is there.

JP 

• Like 3

afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)

And that answers the question conclusively, thanks for the article JP.

Should also make it easier for me to say no to a short ride with the little one around the neighbourhood with that law in mind.

Edited by afathertobe
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Should also make it easier for me to say no to a short ride with the little one around the neighbourhood with that law in mind.

Well  FTB, I would like to think you had the little mans safety in mind as well, After all, that is the reason for the Law, :thumbsup: I am sure your Good Lady will understand  :)  Have a good Christmas and may next year, be a better one for the 3 of you.

JP :santa laugh:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I am happy to see there is a law in place, Jack.  It is interesting to note someone actually getting fined for it.  So I googled (of course) and found this law referred to as early as 2010 so this is not new, and neither is it followed as we have all seen countless kids transported on motorcycles.

http://www.zambotimes.com/archives/25108-Children-now-prohibited-from-riding-motorcycles.html

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I am happy to see there is a law in place, Jack.  It is interesting to note someone actually getting fined for it.  So I googled (of course) and found this law referred to as early as 2010 so this is not new, and neither is it followed as we have all seen countless kids transported on motorcycles.

Its one of those things, I'm sure the average cop on the street knows that the motorbike is the only transport that many Filipinos have so unless a directive from the top comes along they will usually turn a blind eye. My view on kids on bikes is its an accident waiting to happen and certainly not worth the risks if there are other ways for getting around. 

• Like 1