Question For Saltwater Aquarium Enthusiasts - Philippine Sorces For Bulk Foods?

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

I know that we have members who are avid saltwater aquarium enthusiasts so I hope some of these members can help me find reliable sources for brine shrimp, algae, phytoplankton, gastropods, copepods, amphipods, isopods, gelatinous zooplankton and krill here in the Philippines to properly feed souplanktonic phyllosome larvae stage I-IV?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Have you tried talking to the Mactan aquarium as they may be able to help you.

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)

Have you tried talking to the Mactan aquarium as they may be able to help you.

No, and thank you for the suggestion.

I have finished the drawing for the design of a small lobster breeding and rearing facility which I will start breaking ground on in the next couple of weeks. The facility should produce over 6,000 spiney lobster fingerlings per crop. Lobster larvae are very cannibilistic and need the right foods at the approprate times. Problem is it's a serious timing issue. Each of the four stages require a slightly different mixure. One slip up or missed feeding can cost literately thousands of dollars in lost stock while in the souplanktonic larva stages I-III. Then once the larvae have matured into stage IV they then have to be totally separated from each other because they are still highly cannibalistic, and they will still need to be fed no less than three times daily. 6,000 stage IV lobsters can consume quite a bit of food and relying on local fishermen is a recipe for deaster. All that food needs not only needs the proper mixture but must also be per-prepared before each feeding time to maintain freshness.

I can raise the brine shrimp and algae easily enough and have designed the canesters needed and incorperated them in my floorplan, but I still must first find an initial source to prime my system.  The the gastropods (snales and slugs) I can easily grow and harvest in our freshwater caladium fields on our , but the phytoplankton, copepods, amphipods, isopods, gelatinous zooplankton are all saltwater critters and are much trickier to raise. I do not have the necessary tank facilities needed to rear them yet, and it may be several successful crops before I can expand the facility and build the rearing tanks; so I must simply purchase them for now. The krill can be purchased in frozen large containers and will be primarily used from stage IV to grow-out fingerling size.

Edited by jamesmusslewhite

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

I am also looking for large aerators with battery backups as well as 12 volt aerators, water pumps and sump pumps.

Curley
Posted
Posted

An Englishman has just started a salt water aquarium business in Thailand. Any help?

• Like 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

An Englishman has just started a salt water aquarium business in Thailand. Any help?

It certainly could be helping to find needed supplies of larger equipment, do you have contact information such as an email or possible website link?

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

I am looking for:

Agal Cultures - (Atleast 4 of the following known saltwater aglae consumed by both brime shrimp and souplanktonic phyllosome larvae)

Bacillariophyceae Phaeodactylum

Bacillariophyceae Chaetoceros

Bacillariophyceae Nitzchia

Bacillariophyceae Cycloella

Haptophyceae Isochrysis

Chrysophyyceae Monochrysis (Pavlova)

Prasinopltycenae Tetraselmis

Cryptophyceae Chlanydomorias Chlorcaccum

Chlorophyceae Dunaliella

Cyanophyceae Spirulina

Micronutrients for agal culture - either "Guillard's F/2 medium" or "Wane Medium"

Brime shrimp eggs

Phytoplannkton cultures

plus frozen or dried:

Krill

Ccopepods

Rotifers (Wheel animals) - freshwater microscopic and near-microscopic pseudocoelomate animals

The various saltwater tanks I will be construcing and using will be (reserve tank, working reserve tank, working tanks, primary sump tank and secondary sump tank with a total space of 743.2812 ft3 holding a total of 5,560 gallons (U.S.) or 21,046.89 liters of saltwater which must be constantly circulated and properly aerated 24/7 so I am also looking for pumps (capable of a 10 foot water lift), sump pumps, aerator pumps, inline UV Sterilizer, large air stones, air line and air valves. I also need battery back-up for the water pumps and the aerator pumps which will require 12V sump, water and air pumps and relay switches. I have already designed the protein skimmer, sand filters, "Kreisel" cones and metal racks, grow-out trays and metal racks, algae rearing containers and brine shrimp rearing containers that will be needed for the facility. The facility will be constructed on our beach lot here on Dinagat island and the needed building materials are already being collected in Surigao City or have been located here on Dinagat island. So the ground breaking should start in the next two weeks. It will be several months before I have all the piping and wiring completed and water circulating in the system. I decided to start early on locating sources for the needed foods and cultures. I also have to have 20 (8"x22"x8') and 4 fiberglass trays (12"x22"x3') made either here in Surigao City or perhaps in Cebu so if anyone has a name for someone who does fiberglass fabrication it will be greatly appreciated. As for the various metal racks that will be needed I can easily cut and wield them myself.

I am hoping that this thread will be seen by members who own large saltwater tanks who might have useful sources for equipment and foods.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

James, that is quite an interesting project!  I would love to see it I ever get out that way.

I plan on setting up a good sized tank once I get into my permanent home here.  I haven't found any good retail sources for salt water equipment here in the Subic / Angeles / Pampanga.  Only a few small pet shops with a few small tanks.

My nephew is a marine biologist at Monterey Bay aquarium in California.  He might have some suggestions but they probably would not be Philippine specific.  Seems like you might need to get some of that from overseas sources.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

It certainly could be helping to find needed supplies of larger equipment, do you have contact information such as an email or possible website link?

Read your pm

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Read your pm

PM received, Thank you.