American Getting A Business Visa?

John Michael Kane
Posted
Posted

I'm coming to Manila next month to extend my American company's operations to the area. I'm looking for office space and will help setup the new digs once I get settled in the country. As my travel into the country is for work, is there any particular business documentation they'll want to see? A paystub? A W-2? Something else? I'm trying to make sure I have all my paperwork in order so I breeze through customs once I arrive. :)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

As my travel into the country is for work, is there any particular business documentation they'll want to see?  

Hmmmmmmmmmm Well to get into the RP and Breeze through Customs  you just need a Passport and an Onward Ticket. To do any Type of Work here on what you be on after your first extension, a 9 a Visa you will need a Work Permit. Surely your Company have arranged all this for you? If not you may have quite a few Problems my Friend..

• Like 2

John Michael Kane
Posted
Posted

The business is a startup, so there's lots of kinks to be ironed out. I'm trying to take as much ownership of any issue before it becomes an issue. I do have a valid US Passport and an onward ticket, so check and check on that count. As for the work permit, does that still apply if the company is based in the U.S. but opens an satellite office abroad?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

You are in a grey area.  Many people here work for a US company remotely via the Internet, but as soon as they do any business in Philippines, like hiring someone or selling something here or exporting something from here, then you get into the quagmire and you would be well advised to hire a professional to sort that out.  I can refer you to someone who tried to sort it out himself.  He is in jail in Cebu because the authorities did not see his business the same way he tried to portray it, but sometimes it is better to learn from the mistakes of others.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The business is a startup, so there's lots of kinks to be ironed out. I'm trying to take as much ownership of any issue before it becomes an issue. I do have a valid US Passport and an onward ticket, so check and check on that count. As for the work permit, does that still apply if the company is based in the U.S. but opens an satellite office abroad?

You need to get a business visa in your own country before entering. If you arrive and think a 30 day tourist visa will cover you or that a business visa will be issued at immigration than maybe postpone your trip for another month as you need much more homework. You will also need an AEP from the DOLE office. 

Read up here, http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha006.html#Work

The Philippines BI site is down at the time of posting this link but best to check it out when you can, http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php/services/special-permits/special-work-permit-commercial

Penalties

Aliens who are found working without an employment permit as required by law, are penalized with a fine ranging from one thousand pesos (P1,000.00) to ten thousand pesos (P10,000), or imprisonment ranging from three months to three years, or both. In addition to such penalties, any alien found guilty shall be summarily deported upon completion of service of sentence. 
  • Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I'm coming to Manila next month to extend my American company's operations to the area.
How much do you plan to invest in Phils? And how many Filipinos do you plan to employ?

If much money  (I have forgot how much) or employ at least 10 Filipinos full time, then it's much less problem to get work permit.

I believe there are no exceptions of a FILIPINO have to be the HIGHEST boss (CEO) in the company (officialy.)

In most cases, foreigners can't own more than 40 % except when it's "export business".  You don't tell which type of business, so I don't know if I have any solution idea suiting your situation.  DON'T use the "dummy" solution many LAWYERS make, because I suppouse they would NOT stand in court, because they DON'T follow the "Anti-dummy" law...

Expect it will take TIME to get all permits. In Phils it's around 16 things needed to do to register a company.  (In Sweden it's 2 for most types of companies...

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Be careful. The Philippines in not foreigner friendly business wise. Very nationalistic in their thinking.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

There are lots of businesses in Philippines that are based outside the country.  Few of us on this forum are connected to those kinds of businesses.  The members who are connected know the value of confidentiality in business dealings in Philippines and, if you are lucky, one of those members may send you a private message.

While my original advice of getting professional to help you is still the best (IMHO) a second choice would be to wait until you get here and network with the other business people who are doing the same as you would like to do.

Best of luck.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
While my original advice of getting professional to help you is still the best (IMHO) a second choice would be to wait until you get here and network with the other business people who are doing the same as you would like to do.

The OP stated that he is coming to the Philippines to set up a satellite business for an American company he works for. Surely if an American company is sending/paying someone to do this then they have been working hard to find out the pros and cons as well as profitability well before the final step. If you ask me its pretty much bullshit as no one sets up overseas without lots of consultation, homework and financial decisions based on a lot of study. So this American company must be a one man work for the dole scheme.  Just my opinion.   :)

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

The OP stated that he is coming to the Philippines to set up a satellite business for an American company he works for. Surely if an American company is sending/paying someone to do this then they have been working hard to find out the pros and cons as well as profitability well before the final step. If you ask me its pretty much bullsh&t as no one sets up overseas without lots of consultation, homework and financial decisions based on a lot of study. So this American company must be a one man work for the dole scheme.  Just my opinion.   :)

consider CONTACTING the american chamber of commerce.. AMCHAM

Corinthian Plaza, Paseo de Roxas, Makati City,,,across the street from GREENBELT 1 PLAZA

http://www.amchamphilippines.com/contact-us/

once your here. why not visit the MANILA ELKS CLUB,

just a few floors above Amcham.

many professional expats attend there after work hours, 

• Like 1