Duterte Eyes Abolition Of Congress If Elected President In 2016

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Dictator Duterte? Has a nice ring to it.

Would the Philippines be better off under an Autocracy? As things are its a failed state more of a kleptocracy than anything.

Davao-OCIO-Duterte-for-president.JPG

BUTUAN CITY, Philippines – Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte has vowed to end corruption by abolishing Congress, as well as increasing the salaries of government employees, if he is elected president.

Duterte however, clarified that he has not decided yet to run in 2016, saying he is still waiting for divine guidance.

“I will not run if I think I can’t make significant changes or reforms in our country. That’s why I am still awaiting for a sign from God,” he said.

The Davao mayor said he would replace Congress with a parliamentary federal form of government.

“If we will follow the presidential form of government, it will take us 40 to 50 years before we can achieve the needed reforms,” Duterte told guests during the Federalism Forum here last Thursday.

He also promised to streamline the bureaucracy, privatize the Bureau of Internal Revenue and other government collection agencies, and put an end to insurgency.

Nation ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

He said private and government workers earning P25,000 per month and below would be exempted from paying taxes.

The tax collection system will be simplified to avoid corruption.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

There is an active consitutional reform group which is pushing for a parliamentary type legislature, along with removal of the restrictions on FDI. Interesting that Duterte is aligning himself with them.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I don't see this as a move to be dictator but rather to change the form of government from an American style to a parliament style. I would assume through some democratic process.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Do you think Philippines would prosper as a Democratic State or a Republic?

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Didn't Gloria already try this?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

IMO if they are going to stay with a democracy, one thing they can do to improve it is to stop having senators run country wide elections, but elect a certain number from each province. As it stand right now, running a nation wide campaign is very expensive and just encourages them to turn corrupt to make back the money. That and electing more localized senators might improve regional representation by the upper house.

Just a thought

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Would the Philippines be better off under an Autocracy?

I agree with Lord Acton who said:  "All power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely."  Even if I agreed with Duterte as he presently runs his city I would expect him to be another Marcos if he were elected president.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

There really isn't a dimes bit of difference between the two.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Maybe they should try a Constitutional Monarchy as the UK is

I am Sure any of them would love to be a King ( or a Queen) pun intended.  :rolleyes: post-2148-0-82087500-1422253638_thumb.jp

SOD It. I am Giving up Today damned Connection

Edited by Jack Peterson

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Ramos tried it, so did Macapagal-Arroyo. The nationwide senate franchise is an absurdity.

• Like 1