Re-Acquisition Of Philippines Citizenship When Overseas - Stage One - Nso Birth Certificate

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

My son Alex was born in Manila Doctors Hospital twenty years ago. At that time his mother had Filipina citizenship only (she is now a British citizen). Alex travelled on a Phillipines passport for some years, but acquired a British passport some years ago and forgot to renew his Philippines one.

He decided (and I definitely agree, if only out of enlightened self interest) that since he can now hold dual citizenship he should re-acquire his Philippines citizenship and went to the Philippines Embassy where he was told to turn up with an NSO Birth Certificate. His mother is visiting the Philippines shortly and has undertaken to get him one when she is there.

Having looked at this:

http://web0.psa.gov.ph/civil-registration-services/walk-applications-serbilis-outlets

he wrote a letter for his mother to take with her like this:

22nd February 2015

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN,

I GIVE PERMISSION FOR MY MOTHER, (name) TO COLLECT MY NSO BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

PLEASE NOTE THAT SHE WILL CARRY MY ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND CURRENT  UK PASSPORT AS A MEANS OF IDENTIFICATION. SHE WILL ALSO HAVE HER OWN VALID PASSPORT  TO PROVE HER IDENTIFICATION.  

I PREVIOUSLY CARRIED A PHILLIPINES PASSPORT AND I WISH TO REGAIN MY CITIZENSHIP. IN ORDER TO DO THIS I MUST PRESENT A VALID NSO BIRTH CERTIFICATE AT THE PHILIPPINE EMBASSY IN LONDON.

I WAS BORN TO MY MOTHER, A FILIPINA CITIZEN, IN MANILA DOCTORS HOSPITAL, ON THE 17th JANUARY 1995.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE AND I TRUST THIS IS IN ORDER.

YOURS FAITHFULLY,

Will this do the job or should he do something more?

Thanks in advance!

For a bonus mark, could someone correct his Filipino version?

Kanino IT MAAARING alalahanin,

Bigyan ako PAHINTULOT PARA SA AKING ina, Ruby Craig - Bennett , upang mangolekta ng MY NSO kapanganakan CERTIFICATE .
PAKITANDAAN na siya ay magtataglay MY ORIHINAL kapanganakan CERTIFICATE AT CURRENT pasaporte UK bilang isang paraan ng pagkakakilanlan. Siya AY MAYROON KA RING NIYA SARILI MONG valid na pasaporte upang patunayan Identification NIYA .
Noong una kong madadala Isang PHILLIPINES pasaporte at nais ko upang makuhang muli ang AKING pagkamamamayan . Upang magawa ITO AY DAPAT ko IPINAPAKITA Isang BISA SA NSO kapanganakan CERTIFICATE SA Philippine Embassy sa London .
Ako ay ipinanganak SA aking nanay , A FILIPINA mamamayan , sa Maynila DOKTOR NG OSPITAL , SA 17 Enero 1995 .

SALAMAT sa iyong pagtulong at pinagkakatiwalaan ko ITO AY UPANG .

Taos matapat ,
Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

You can do it online these days, https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Default.aspx

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

You can do it online these days, https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Default.aspx

Thank you for the link. JGF.

But.. his birth certificate was amended to reflect his legitimisation by the subsequent marriage of his parents and as such it appears to fal outside the scope of the on-line / postal service.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

jassy
Posted
Posted

Call the nso to make sure.

Btw is Alex half filipino half british? Re-Acquisition Of Philippines Citizenship is for pure filipinos who were naturalized abroad and have a a non filipino citizenshop afaik.
Recognition of Philippines Citizenship are for half filipinos.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
Will this do the job or should he do something more?

I'd suggest you have the letter notarized, as well as any other documents.

Also, you may consider having an attorney draw it up on his letterhead plus a (special) power of attorney for your wife to act on your son's behalf in this matter might be helpful too.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Call the nso to make sure.

Btw is Alex half filipino half british? Re-Acquisition Of Philippines Citizenship is for pure filipinos who were naturalized abroad and have a a non filipino citizenshop afaik.

Recognition of Philippines Citizenship are for half filipinos.

He was born in Manila and carried Filipino citizenship only until he was five, so I was assuming that he would be "re-acquiring" something that he had as a boy.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Shouldn't the Philippines Embassy help him obtain a copy of his NSO Birth Certificate? Sounds to me like someone just didn't want to do their job...

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Philippines Embassy went out of their way to be UNhelpful, refusing to speak English and speaking only to his mother in Pilipino, refusing to consider the application and demanding the NSO birth certificate.

I suspect that the lady official may have been hoping that her palm would be greased - this did happen to the nanny of a wealthy friend of mine, who was asked for a bribe. My friend, one of England's most respected businessmen, told her to go back, mention whom she worked for, and threaten to report the official to the UK Police - she got her Passport that same day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
refusing to speak English and speaking only to his mother in Pilipino

Very common. As if I wasn't even there.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Very common. As if I wasn't even there.

:)  Butting in, Saying what's the cost in English usually halts that conversation (said with a sarcastic smile of course) :rolleyes:

JP :tiphat: