Immigration Responsibility

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
Anyway, the most difficult part of being married to a Filipina, is knowing they think we know everything. They believe us and trust us, so what we put into their minds, hearts and souls is what will be prevalent as they grow older.

We know everything in public, but the questions come at home.  In my home the question can be hard especially the political ones, the best thing about that is Fe won't hold it against me when she is wrong.  The only times that happens of course is when she disagrees with me. As for what I put in her heart and mind being there when she gets older, true still there and shes older, soon to be retirement age and living in Fil. Gives me about 3 summers to find and have a place for us.

• Like 2

rfhypnos
Posted
Posted

This forum is always such a great sounding board and never disappoints me with just one or two perspectives.  I am 69 and my fiance is 42 with one ten year old child who will remain with grand parents and an uncle who has been a father figure since birth.  My fiance has never married.  

I became anxious about this process months ago when reading the I 864 document which outlines my responsibility for my fiance after marriage. That responsibility will continue until she as my wife becomes a citizen or after 40 qualifying quarters of work (usually 10 years). This responsibility remains even if we divorce.  So , Earthdome, you mentioned something about the visa becoming a K-3 which changes things regarding sponsorship.  How is this process done?  Also another thing mentioned that there was a trial period of two or three years after which if things did not work out divorce could occur and she would need to go back to the Philippines.  I was not aware of that stipulation in anything I have read.

Do I love this woman, yes.  Are there difficult times ahead regarding cultural adaption........certainly!   I am not unfamiliar with this since my first wife was Japanese and we were married for fourteen years and had two kids.  But the concern that I have is not due to lack of affection or the complexities of intercultural marriage.  It has to do with the fact that I live comfortably on two pension and I am at the age where companionship becomes very important for medical/longevity reasons, and I have heard of many foreign born spouses leaving their husbands soon after marriage and accusing them of various abusive scenarios placing their income and freedom from imprisonment in jeopardy.  

I want to be responsible for the woman I marry who truly loves me and wants a life together with me for the rest my days breathing and kickin' on this great planet!!!!  So maybe it is cold feet and maybe because of my age and circumstance I am more susceptible?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
in the end our wives are a reflection of us

It surely works for quite a few couples.  My friend Jim and his filipina wife live in Florida.  He tells me the same as what your post tells me.  If you have a GREAT relationship then geography does not matter.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
Why would these women be any different than any woman in your own country in the same circumstances as far as long term financial responsibility goes?

In a word FAMILY......

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
It surely works for quite a few couples.  My friend Jim and his filipina wife live in Florida.  He tells me the same as what your post tells me.  If you have a GREAT relationship then geography does not matter.

I was 8 years, still working in Spain, It worked for me.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1