Cider

Petey
Posted
Posted

With all the brewing of beers here i would of thought there may of been cider on the market - Never seen it.

Pear, Apple, Sweet or dry. Its amazing over ice on a hot day.

Anyone know of any importers that sell it?

post-5084-0-00791600-1429008200_thumb.jp

post-5084-0-58320400-1429008211_thumb.jp

post-5084-0-38256600-1429008220_thumb.jp

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
i would of thought there may of been cider on the market - Never seen it.

Petey,

Originally, Cider came from Devon :cheersty:

Maybe there is not an abundance of cider apples in Philippines, I have always thought that cider has a bitter taste, perhaps that does not appeal to the taste buds of Filipino's.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

i would of thought there may of been cider on the market - Never seen it.

Petey,

Originally, Cider came from Devon :cheersty:

Maybe there is not an abundance of cider apples in Philippines, I have always thought that cider has a bitter taste, perhaps that does not appeal to the taste buds of Filipino's.

I don't like the common some bitter tasting cider either, reminding some of the bitter after taste of beer,

BUT I like SWEET cider made of e g pears or black custards.   Filipinos like sweet, so perhaps producing such would be a good business idea. Will we get Mango cider?   :)

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have seen Magners for sale here in the Freeport (Pear and Apple). She tasted them both and it was because of that I had to make some Pear Cider for the wife. I got the ingredients from the US and now she has 2 cases of (semi-sweet) Pear Cider and 24 bottles of Mango Wine. I think I am good with her for a while. :)  :cheersty:

Edited by jon1
  • Like 1

Petey
Posted
Posted

Im sure its posbile to ferment fruits here but having the "Know-how" is obviously important.

In my younger days there was Hooch Alco-pop made with lemons. Bet that would sell here pretty well seeing that there are many sari-sari stores that sell Juicy Lemon drinks.

jon1
Posted
Posted

The cider is a challenge since it is made with pears or apples typically. I bet that you could work a deal with a fruit stand to buy up all of their pears or apples that are too ripe to sell. Then you could press them for juice. Then all you need is some yeast, sugar and a container to ferment it in. 3 - 4 weeks later you have cider. 

I cheated using an imported kit from the US. I also have enough to make 3 more batches (2 apple and 1 pear). At this rate the wife won't even finish her's in a year. 

There is also a recipe that I am gonna make called "Skeeter Pee". It's made with RealLemon juice and sugar. Think of it as a Hard Lemonade. Perfect for hot weather on ice.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

If your location is Manila, some of the bars stock strongbow so it can be found.  :thumbsup:

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The cider is a challenge since it is made with pears or apples typically. I bet that you could work a deal with a fruit stand to buy up all of their pears or apples that are too ripe to sell. Then you could press them for juice. Then all you need is some yeast, sugar and a container to ferment it in. 3 - 4 weeks later you have cider.
This topic made me curious, so I learned yesterday  :)  

/if puting sugar in it for the process, then it isn't cider, it's WINE  (say the "Traditionalists")

/it has to be fermented SLOW (6 weeks) and rather COLD (around 15 C) which complicate it in Phils  :mocking:

/to get it sweeter "not cheating" method, then stop the process before all fruit sugar is eaten by the yeast e g by kill it by keep it warm a while (some above 45 C)

/if doing wrong at the bottling, they will EXPLODE   :unsure:  :)

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Thomas, you may be right about the purist definition.

I used a kit, which probably isn't in line with their ideals either.

I fermented mine for 3 weeks. I also use a hydrometer to test for the gravity. Once it has stabilized (hasn't changed over several days) and is near the recipe's target level, I then bottle. No need to pasteurize as the yeast have run their course and will only chew on the little bit of priming sugar (4 oz) that I mix in when bottling. This way I avoid the bottle bomb scenario. 

I use a chest freezer with external temperature control to control my fermentation temperatures. I adjust it for the recipes in ferment (depends on the yeast and style). I generally keep the temperature at the 25-50% of a yeast's fermentation range. The yeast I used for this cider had a range of 64-77F (18-25C). I kept it at 68F which helps offset the heat generated by the yeast the first few days. 

The kit also came with a sweetener that was not fermentable. It was my first cider and I was surprised that there was no Krausen. My mead was the same way but did have bubbles. 

Overall, the cider was very simple to make and not very challenging. I think it only took me about an hour to prepare it. It kind of felt like cheating. At least with beer kits you are still doing some cooking and yeast preparation. 

Bottom line is, the wife is happy with it and that is what matters the most.

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Aaah Cider !! my fav drink next to Southern Comfort.

There is a place in Alabang called Union Jack Tavern which sells a lot of English stuff

inc beers and Ciders, but for me its far too expensive ! and they also do " fish and chips "

which has no comparison to Cod or haddock !! my advice stay away !

And a lot of the " British stuff " can be found in lots of stores now.

Nearest I have found to cider is San Migs apple beer !! 25 pesos a bott in Robinsons.

but its that pop it often sells out ! I have 2 in the fridge ready for later this evening :cheersty:

M&S in megamall also sometimes has cider but you need to reserve it when the next delivery arrives !!