How Much Value Do We Bring?

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Most foreign males come to Phils usually end up with a Filipino partner, therby supporting her (and often helping

extended family) so this is an important factor also

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

According to the US Embassy's web site http://manila.usembassy.gov/service.html there are approximately 180,000 US citizens residing in the Philippines. From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koreans_in_the_Philippines 96,000 Koreans. I couldn't find any statistics on Australians but there should be at least the same as or more than the US statistic. So that puts the total over 400,000 x 24000 = 9,600,000,000. There are a lot of other nationalities here (British, New Zealand, Irish, Scot, Belgian, German, Swiss, Dane, Finn, Indian, etc.) so I could see the foreigner population at well above 1 million. 

This also does not account for Balibayans who are not accounted for anywhere (residential or tourist statistics).  And like mogo said the extended support that is provided from foreigner funds. I think that 24 billion is probably on the low side. You also have to add in property purchases, whether it was a lease or actual purchase. That could add another $50,000 (average?) to the kitty. Then think about how many foreigners who have been duped by con artists (male and female), bad judgement investments and fake property deals and the price goes up even more. 

I also know of at least a half dozen foreign owned businesses that are making big money over here and employing anywhere from 15-50 filipinos. Despite all of the business hurdles here, there are still foreign entities investing in the Philippines. 

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

According to the US Embassy's web site http://manila.usembassy.gov/service.html there are approximately 180,000 US citizens residing in the Philippines. From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koreans_in_the_Philippines 96,000 Koreans. I couldn't find any statistics on Australians but there should be at least the same as or more than the US statistic. So that puts the total over 400,000 x 24000 = 9,600,000,000. There are a lot of other nationalities here (British, New Zealand, Irish, Scot, Belgian, German, Swiss, Dane, Finn, Indian, etc.) so I could see the foreigner population at well above 1 million. 

This also does not account for Balibayans who are not accounted for anywhere (residential or tourist statistics).  And like mogo said the extended support that is provided from foreigner funds. I think that 24 billion is probably on the low side. You also have to add in property purchases, whether it was a lease or actual purchase. That could add another $50,000 (average?) to the kitty. Then think about how many foreigners who have been duped by con artists (male and female), bad judgement investments and fake property deals and the price goes up even more. 

I also know of at least a half dozen foreign owned businesses that are making big money over here and employing anywhere from 15-50 filipinos. Despite all of the business hurdles here, there are still foreign entities investing in the Philippines.

Like your research and the figure looks very important to the economy. Maybe we could embellish the 'con artista'

and call them business developers!!!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I could see the foreigner population at well above 1 million. 

So my original guesstimate of 10% of GDP may be closer than I thought.  One would think that the Philippine government would take notice and start to kiss our collective butts like the kiss those of the OFWs and balikbayans.  But that ain't gonna happen  :hystery:

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I sat having a coffee at SM mall in Angeles this morning, whilst my dearest was off 'having a look'.

So I started to count the number of people and how many westerners 1200 people and 10 westerners, less than

1%, in fact .8% roughly. As I do not have access to a calc, someone can apply that to the alleged population

figure.

This is in a high concentrate of westerners area, so it will not be really reflective over the country. On the

other side, it is far less than an adequate number to survey and be reliable. Goes to show you how bored I was

this morning, but it just came to my mind to do it, so I can add to the discussion.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
As I do not have access to a calc, someone can apply that to the alleged population figure.

I like to use a figure of 100 million for the pop of Philippines.  It is close enough for our guesstimates and an easy number to work with.  What your 'straw poll' does not tell you is how many foreigners stay home playing on their laptop and send the wife shopping, which is what i do tomorrow and every Monday