Economic Expats

Jake
Posted
Posted

In a world that is changing so rapidly, there is little wonder we all want to 'get off' the

the merry go round. I wonder how many like myself are economic expats? I am certainly

one.

I am fortunate to have been raised and lived in Oz and seen the good times there and now

IMO seeing its decline. Cost of living in Oz is horrendous. Depending where you read it

is somewhere between 1 and 5 in the world!

Due to events in my marital life, ie divorces! I was left rather skinny in the monetary

department. So I decided to head to Thailand and see what life is like there.

It is as we all know much cheaper than where we originally come from, so it is a 'given'.

What I did not do was look at the whole picture and study lifestyle and conditions in

the country, prior to going there.

Would I have changed anything, probably not. There is no Garden of Eden or Eutopia, as

I see it, every place has its plus and minues. Overall I cannot complain. I have a good

lifestyle here, far better than in my native country, where I would lead a str8ggling

existence.

How many members are in the same situation? How have you fared in your new country? I

admit to often feeling home sick, but have learned how to deal with it and look to a

much higher living standard here and eventually Phils.

Triple LIKE Mogo!

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mogo, those of us who have worked, like yourself and built up funds, like Super, do deserve to be slightly better off than those who have been on DSP/Other, long term.

As part of the good life overseas, we do need those little extras that we would take for granted back home.

IN MY CASE.

A decent model car, maybe a pick up or SUV. Having run 1-2 cars since age 18, and currently not having one, it is humbling, but as soon as I can will have another one (replacement for one that was "stolen" 3 years ago)

Air Con. Currently this house is not condusive to having AC, but as we improve it, i think one enclosed room for comfort will be possible. In the grand scope of things, I think for personal comfort, I would like that.

A decent night out with Gina one a week. Proper restaurant with an eclectic menu, bottle of wine, that kind of thing.

Economically we can do without all that, but if you ask me about my personal comfort, those are a few of the things we like to have.

The other thing Mogo, and you are lucky in this respect, out of our income, i would say if i was spending $1000-1200 USD PER month, there is probably 20% of that going to the extended family, mostly food. Then a few grocery items and sundry items, that they can't seem to get along without. Right now it's about 4 litres of coke per day which they seem to need in this heat. So instead of saving that or spending on ourselves we give that willingly with only a minor grumble....grumble...grumble...

I would also reserve the right to have the occasional trip out to see my kids, even though it is not frequent, by 2017-18 would like one longish trip to the USA, so reserve from now a little cash for that.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted

From the responses by members, it is clear and also as I suspected, I have many friends from this forum in

exactly the same position as myself.

I live on about 40,000bht per mth ((53k pesos) and this is just short of my Oz pension. As of next year I will

be able to access some additional funds from a superannuation fund. This will allow for a little extra luxury maybe

a holiday once a year.

Mostly it will allow me and my partner to live in dignity until I check out. She will then be well cared for

in her aging years.

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted

From the responses by members, it is clear and also as I suspected, I have many friends from this forum in

exactly the same position as myself.

I live on about 40,000bht per mth ((53k pesos) and this is just short of my Oz pension. As of next year I will

be able to access some additional funds from a superannuation fund. This will allow for a little extra luxury maybe

a holiday once a year.

Mostly it will allow me and my partner to live in dignity until I check out. She will then be well cared for

in her aging years.

Very humbling, but also a good experience, to undergo a little hardship, Mogo. Growing up in the 1950's we were not poor, but we did not have much luxury. But over the years acquired certain tastes, stuff you don't need, but got used to it.

A little above the pension is something I have worked for, so that's where I'm aiming.

• Like 1