Are Ofw Remittances In Jeopardy?

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Ex bank man Thomas and of course where there's a will there's a way. Still, having worked for an international bank dealing in many murky corners of the world there won't be that many such payments getting through any more. However you are right, it inconveniences the honest as much as deters the criminal.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The Philippines economy is based on OFW remmitances, their only real export is people.  They will make sure there is a means of getting the money here ha ha...   Even if the government has to run the service, and take a percentage, hey.... that is a good idea....   :tiphat:

• Like 1

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I must have misunderstood the article. I thought they were talking about the number of Filipinos sending money home had declined. 

The need for Overseas workers has dwindle here because of the economy, the hidden unemployment numbers. (the real numbers).

Add to that, the thousands of Illegals and Refugees being brought into the country, that are working under the table for whatever the job pays and you have the perfect storm. 

I read yesterday that the U.N has 390,000 Syrian Sunni Muslim refugees registered and they want to send 200,000 to the states in the next five years.  The article went on to say, North Dakota, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio and Washington have received these refugees. Other refugees are coming in from Iraq as we speak. Kentucky now has an Arabic Newspaper to serve the large number of refugees in Louisville. 

Add to that, those coming from South America, excluding Mexico. They are claiming Asylum, Imminent danger from factions in their own countries to include drug lords.. This allows them to come to America as refugees. 

Another words, there are not enough jobs for those already here. So finding work as OFW is becoming more difficult each year. 

I thought the article addressed the economy in the Philippines and a recent law passed by the leadership, that would making shipping easier and more profitable to more employers, eliminating the current monopoly on these types of jobs. It stated this could possibly bring more filipinos home for work. This would also reduce OFW. 

There is a lot going on in the world. It's changing at the speed of light! 

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Ex bank man Thomas and of course where there's a will there's a way.
Yes, for the criminals   :) 
Still, having worked for an international bank dealing in many murky corners of the world there won't be that many such payments getting through any more.
You are CORECT concerning sending DIRECT to SUCH countries, where there are no outsourse jobs done, of the type I wrote, or any other hard to value work type,

BUT NO CHANCE illegal transfers are found when sending to countries, which have many such outsoursed jobs as e g the Philippines or India, if the handlers do the fake transfers clever. 

However you are right, it inconveniences the honest as much as deters the criminal.
Many of the fanatic terrorists aren't even scared by dieing, so I don't believe the existing money transfer control system scare the terrorists   :)     It's LESS inconvient for the terrorists than for honest people, because the terrorists are more used to such, they just need to think more ahead.
  • Like 1