How Many U.s. Dollars Can Youy Bring Into The Philippines At One Time?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The taking in and bringing out of Philippines of Philippine currency in excess of PhP10,000 is strictly prohibited,

It is good to remember that there are different limits for PHILIPPINE PESOS and for ALL OTHER CURRENCIES.

Some people are very good at telling others to stay on Topic.

And when the boss posts it, its never off topic  :cheersty:

What are we talking about here? The only post I have is the complete statement from the Philippines consulate or should I just have quoted one line? 

Here is more on this, http://www.bsp.gov.ph/publications/media.asp?id=776&yr=2006

• 2 weeks later...
Petey
Posted
Posted

From my understanding you cannot enter a country with more than $10000 usable "currency", undeclared. I seems that $ is the denomination thats used whilst travling. So make sure whatever curency you have doesnt equate to more than $10000.

As once of the previous posters stated, don't carry too much money. You WILL become a target. Take $500. That will get you transport and a place to stay with ease, then send money to yourself via WesternUnion Money Gram etc. WU allows you to recive P100000 at any one time - IIRC. Just make sure you set up a WU account in the country your sending the money from. If you manage to have a Remittance account or you trust someone enough that you can send money thru make sure you notify your bank that your going over seas, and what their method is for sending money via wire. I know my bank in UK has to have a letter and application to send money. Usually takes 5 workign days for them to recive the letter via DHL and 3 days to release the money.

• 2 weeks later...
russellmania
Posted
Posted

I would not risk carrying more than a few thousand dollars in cash when flying to the Philippines for several reasons.

For one, you have to declare that you are carrying more than $10,000 USD in financial instruments (cash) to the TSA at the airport. If they think you or the money seem suspicious they will call additional law enforcement, and that law enforcement just might seize your cash even though you have not even been arrested. This is called civil asset forfeiture.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/06/30/why-the-tsa-posted-a-photo-of-cash-filled-luggage-on-twitter/

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150620/20213931403/nail-salon-owner-sues-return-life-savings-seized-dea-agents-airport.shtml

Second reason is what if you misplace the cash or it gets stolen.

Do a bank transfer or open a philippine bank USD account and write a check on your USA account and deposit it in the Philippine bank.

I carried $2500 USD when I made the move. I used a money belt and I kept a copy of the bank receipt for the cash withdrawal. Make a few photo copies of that receipt and keep it in safe places just in case the US government seizes your cash using asset forfeiture. I opened a USD bank account within the first week and deposited most of my cash.

When you write a check on your USA acct, do you make it out to cash or your name?

earthdome
Posted
Posted
When you write a check on your USA acct, do you make it out to cash or your name?

I made the check out to my name. I expect either way would work if the check has your name printed on it and you are depositing it into an account with your name.