Fiesta Times In The Barangays.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

We are coming into Fiesta time in our outlying Baragays again soon, whilst I my self live in a fairy close community, we can still get the out of Area Bods come and go for the Week or so they go one for.

Like Everywhere, there are Chancers. Those that just take what they see cos it is there. 

No matter where we live in whatever country we will always get the Sneak Thief, the Opportunists, and the ones who will eye things up for a later time.

I know we have had Topics before on Security but Fiestas always seem to bring a certain uneasiness among Locals as well as those that may have something to protect ( for many reasons I suspect we are viewed as this)

I have 4 dogs of various Types the little man [pinscher] is the rouser, he gets the others alerted first.

The Labrador [ all meat and muscle] does her intimidating bit [ but I would not want to be on the end of those Jaws ever] then the Dalmatian/Belgian- malionis Crosses  do their thing [anyone getting in would not necessarily get out in one piece] so in the main we as a family feel quite safe. OH! I know we have discussed poisons before here but over the year we have trained them to smell bad things and it has been tried once or twice, with tainted meat untouched by the dogs so a happy chappy on this score.

We thought about an alarm system but  as we know from other countries reports no one seems to react to them on the neighbour front and the response time from the Police (even with a Direct link) in the Area I live would be of Little use. The thieves would be in and Gone. For me just at this time, the Dogs and a very Light sleeping maid, who seems to hear all things we would never dream of  sort out to a degree our Security issue.

What does everyone else do?  

​I thought I would ask in case there some Ideas from others that I had not thought about.

My ever researching Daughter, suggested some Geese But............. :rolleyes:

JP  :tiphat:

Morning All  :morning1:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Geese?  Wait a minute......to goose the intruder?  Did you have any break-ins during last year's fiesta?  Looks like you have all angles covered with your 4 dogs and your Mrs with a bolo knife.  I guess I still need special permission to bless your new wall?

Let the party begin......festive Jake

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Did you have any break-ins during last year's fiesta?  

There were a couple of  incidents just before the New gates and iron work went up, which Prompted the larger Dogs.

I guess I still need special permission to bless your new wall?

Yeah! Yeah! The permission was Granted but you never cashed the Cheque I sent for your Fare. :hystery:  not arrived yet you say? Damned Phil post!  :mocking:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Layered passive defense. In other words make the likely hood of being seen/caught as high as possible and make it so difficult to break in that they move on to an easier target. This is what I did.

Exterior lights illuminating all likely avenues of approach (main entrance and exterior wall) 

Interior out door lights (illuminated court yard so if they do get in they would probably be seen while trying to enter the house)

Remove any type of trees that would facilitate climbing wall

Courtyard Lattice (attractive wrought iron covering of front yard) 

All Entrances to court yard or house with 2 locks, 1 dead bolt, 1 key

windows with fashionable and attractive wrought iron  grills.

the weakest area in our home is the back which backs into a neighbors wall. I had double grills installed (none of this can be seen, so ascetics are not needed) with a triple strand concertina wire (razor wire).

Have not had any problems so far :999:

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Geese are what the Roman Legions used for intruder detection. I don't doubt that they work admirably for that purpose. But trust me when I say you don't want to have to deal with goose poop.

I'm leaning toward motion detection alarms inside the house, which would turn on the lights and make a loud noise. Thumb-sized motion-activated cameras are only US$10 each on eBay.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I'm leaning toward motion detection alarms inside the house, which would turn on the lights and make a loud noise.

I guess that's OK as long as the family don't move about in the middle of the night, I have a 16  year old that is given to midnight snacks and a maid that may well forget to turn the damn thing off! in the Morning.post-2148-0-76080800-1440507656.png

JP :)  :tiphat:

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

3 dogs 2 white ones

and a black monster named Arnie !! he has a loud bark that wakes everybody up !!

we have large folding front gates and a high sea wall at the back.

we have a Ip Camera from that cheapy cd place that works great we can watch the house from anywhere even my daughter in the UK can as well.it records if anything moves in a selected part of a grid and also sends emails to our mobiles !

best part about our Fiesta when the parade is over  is the boating part where all the participants go out on the lake and throw water over each other in their decorated boats !

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I have a very secure place and I don't go to fiestas or any large gatherings. When wife goes to church on Sunday, I remain at home. Like I've said before, I don't like crowds indoors or outdoors. If and when we leave for a night or 2 or 3 we get my wife's parents to stay at our place til we return. Father-in-law has 9mm and is very willing and capable of using it if he ever had to.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Dad always told me that when he was growing up in Calgary and later in Eureka that he was terrified of the geese.  The tomans also used Mastiffs if you feed them 10# of food or less the intruders masy be used and appreciated. 

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I too have heard of the guarding prowess of geese.  I've been told that they make a lot of noise, they give chase, and they look pretty scary with their long necks weaving every which way.