Can An American Actually Purchase A House In Cebu?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Yes but don't expect to own it.

Triple like this one many a true word said in jest.

• 2 weeks later...
steve schrader
Posted
Posted

i have purchased the land and leased it from someone,3 lawyer from 3 different islands all reveiwed the documents.

The lease state i can as a USA citazen own the house on this lease.

i have not move there but feel the contracts are good

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

:-)

The lease is always written to tell you what you want to hear.  It would be interesting to read any case histories where a Philippine citizen was disputing a foreigners claim to a house and'or lot and the foreigner won.  I don't mean a paper victory but a victory where the foreigner was actually given control of the property as the lease/purchase agreement stated.  Did your lawyer give you any examples of such?  Until you have precedents you can take to court then all you have is a piece of paper, IMHO.  But best of luck to you.  I have done similar and I cross my fingers every day that it keeps working  :tiphat:

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

i have purchased the land and leased it from someone,3 lawyer from 3 different islands all reveiwed the documents.

Yes, you CAN own a whole house at leased land,

BUT what do you mean with YOU purchased the land???   For me it seem to be a DUMMY solution, which many lawyers do to earn money for THEMSELVES, although I say such lawyers's solution are ILLEGAL... At least if YOU purchased it   :)

I find 1.4 solutions  :mocking:    legal.

Very short version:

A/ One whole 1.0 solution include a part where a foreigner give LOAN with the land as collateral.

B/ One 0.4 solution where the foreigner can be owning max 40 % of the land through a company IF fullfiling the demands for such businesses.

But even if making it REALY legal, you have the problem Dave talk about. But a legal solution at least make it some harder for them to just take it   :dance:  

chris49
Posted
Posted

Who ever holds the original Land Title in his hand is in the strong position.

Whoever has a Deed of Sale and the Land Title is in the strongest position.

Whoever has a Lease Agreement is weak. I can't say more than that but do hope you have the Land Title andthe Deed of Sale, to go with the Lease Agreement.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I can't say more than that but do hope you have the Land Title andthe Deed of Sale, to go with the Lease Agreement.

Can't see the OP getting the Original Title deed away from the owner but he should have a notarized one (Copy) Without supporting Evidence the  Lease may of course not be 100% legal. Easy done, take the Title Holder to a Notary and have it all done in 20 mins cost about 300 peso but your Halls of Justice may do it for Free, as it is on legal Affidavit about land That way the Title never leaves the Owners Sight. :unsure:

just my little bit on this. :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat: