The Raf's Airbus A400M Transport Aircraft Will Be Known As Atlas

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

An old Colleague of Mine was up front when this new baby was delivered to Cypress but made an overnight Stay in GIBRALTAR post-2148-0-87453500-1441442803_thumb.jp post-2148-0-11926000-1441442825_thumb.jp post-2148-0-51681000-1441442846_thumb.jp

Wg Cdr Hewett told me on the phone that although some are over 50 years old, the RAF have no intention of Grounding the remarkable backbone of Military transport The C130's post-2148-0-03649300-1441442964.jpg post-2148-0-57171600-1441442993_thumb.jp

Saturday Trivia I know but it means a lot to me. :thumbsup:

JPpost-2148-0-66357000-1441443059.png

BTW the caption may say C5 but it is the  new A 400 Atlas. My Boob Sorry

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Home grown.

C-17-and-Mt-Rainier.jpg

One for Master Chief Jake;

C17-Carrier.jpg

Edited by Old55
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I would be curious how many members here have been on a C-130?

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

I would be curious how many members here have been on a C-130?

Oh yeah, brought my ear plugs and warm clothing too.  Also been on P-3C Orion making a lobster run to Brunswick, ME from NAS Jacksonville, FLA.  I was even lowered by a CH-46 Sea Knight onto a destroyer doing 16 knots.  Those damn Marine pilots are crazy but very skillful.  

Nice shots Jack P of a solid work horse for most of the allied military.  Thanks for the memories.....only pissed my pants once.   

• Like 3

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Oh yeah, brought my ear plugs and warm clothing too.  Also been on P-3C Orion making a lobster run to Brunswick, ME from NAS Jacksonville, FLA.  I was even lowered by a CH-46 Sea Knight onto a destroyer doing 16 knots.  Those damn Marine pilots are crazy but very skillful.  

Nice shots Jack P of a solid work horse for most of the allied military.  Thanks for the memories.....only pissed my pants once.   

Had the joy many years ago of working on offshore oil rigs, ex Vietnam chopper pilots, this particular day the rig was hit by huge seas and winds and this rig was really moving, the chopper came in and just hovered over the heli deck going up and down with the deck, it was what they called a hot pick up, was told don't take you gear, you've got one chance only if you don't get through the door you don't go. oh happy days.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

C-130s were the main stay.  Heck in school we jumped C119s

In 2002 our Chapter of 82nd Assoc. went to Oklahoma to refresh for a reenactment to jump in Canada for the Korean war vets there.

Got to jump a C-47 (DC-3)

also got to copilot a twin beach the some history channel reenactors were using.

great fun 

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

C-130s were the main stay.  Heck in school we jumped C119s

In 2002 our Chapter of 82nd Assoc. went to Oklahoma to refresh for a reenactment to jump in Canada for the Korean war vets there.

Got to jump a C-47 (DC-3)

also got to copilot a twin beach the some history channel reenactors were using.

great fun 

Hey Gerald,

82nd Airborne?  Dang, you're my hero!  We need to hear more about your military background sir!  But in the meantime, I took the liberty of finding a photo of you (white helmet) holding the prop because you didn't want to get your hair do messed up.....he, he.

post-686-0-67716200-1441553507_thumb.png

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Now that is a pilot, one engine and the wole stick in the wing.  Not sure if thar's me or JD on the prop,  the chute looks packed by now

:attention:  

• Like 1

Kiwi-Alan
Posted
Posted

Did many hours on the C130 from NZ to Asia. When based at Nui Dat the NZRAF would not land the C130s at Nui Dat as the run way being short they needed full power for takeoff, and would not use full power due to wearing engines out to fast.  All the C130s we traveled on in the late 60s are still in service with NZRAF. 

• Like 3

Kiwi-Alan
Posted
Posted

http://www.airforce.mil.nz/about-us/what-we-do/aircraft/hercules.htm

We had a supply run from Singapore to Nui Dat 2 times a week, the plane used was a Bristol Freighter, the Yanks Jaws used to drop open when it landed in Saigon.