Where To Go...

JustB
Posted
Posted

Thanks again Chris, a plan around doing a "loop" taking in Banaue, Sagada, Vigan then down the coast to San Fernando (the one on the coast) is starting to take shape (might be a bit too ambitious to try to fit in Batac, Laoag & Pagupud but will look into whether is doable)

Rounding off with 4-5 relaxing days in Palawan & a couple of days back in Manilla before flying back :)

As an aside, I swear Filipinas have ESP, only last night FP was saying how much she missed going on holiday & if she could get some time off can we go to a beach somewhere [emoji15]

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Avoid City Center San Fernando, it really is a traffic nightmare, just basically to get to a few fast food joints, that's all that's there. Go to San Juan, on the beach about 8 km north of SF.

Let us know when you are in Vigan, we will ride our bikes down, and see you. Try Cordilleras Inn Vigan, a bit of old world "elegance" ok it's a bit tacky, but I scoped it out for a friend and thought it was ok...20% discount for walk in guests, somewhere around 2500 less the discount.

Vigan Plaza Hotel for the upmarket, at around 3500, the usual breakfast included. The coffee there is excellent.

We usually ride down (maybe with a few clubmates)about twice a week.

When will that be?

Edited by chris49

JustB
Posted
Posted

Thanks again Chris, am still trying to work out the itinerary, the more I look into it, the more options I seem to have!

At the moment I'm leaning towards flying up to Laoag City then spending a few days around the beaches at Pagudpud (save the beaches at San Juan for another time) before making my way back down to Manila down through Vigan City, passed the Rice Terraces & hanging coffins,

Have another bit of a challenge in that I've had a bit of a "Golden Spanner" thrown into the works & might need to pop across to Singapore for 1-2 days early next week, don't want to say too much as I don't want to jinx things but if it comes off (& it better had as they did the same thing to me when I was traveling around Thailand :|), it will sort things out nicely for me.

Thanks again for all of the advice, have to say, this is the 1st time I've looked into traveling around the North & it looks a fantastic place, how long have you lived that way?

chris49
Posted
Posted

6 years in Manila/Quezon City, 4 years up here. Upon arrival I was convinced not to go back.

On the forum there's only a few of us up here, the others in different locations. Initially, it can be very quiet here, in the evening. We go to bed 8-9 PM, Gina is up at 5 AM starting her routine. I get out at6 AM to do my training. I use the bike for everything 100% so if no training, will get out anyway.

After some period of adaptation, what I hear from the other guys is same as me. They love the place. We have a "vacation" down to Manila twice a year. Business and a bit of shopping. That's nothing much but it's a big deal for us. Gina will go to a beauty salon maybe early next year. My previous partner and her friends went 3 times a week, there's the kind of difference I'm talking about. A very simple life.

• Like 1

JustB
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wow, how does that saying go? Something about the Gods laugh whilst man makes plans, they're certainly having a good giggle at mine.

Firstly plans were pole-axed by the fact I need to go for a (final) interview on Monday, I thought i was going to have to go to Singapore but as its a video conference with a guy in the UK I've convinced them to do it from their offices in Makati, still messes my plans up but not as bad as I thought it was going to be[emoji106]

Next FP has been really down for a couple of months now, completely out of character for her so after weeks of trying to cheer her up (including suggesting we go on holiday to a beach somewhere), I convinced her to go to the Doctors for a check-up, turns out she has a cyst on one of her ovaries so needs to go in for an operation... I know it's not that serious (have been through the same thing with 2 of my UK ex's) but we're both nervous none the less...

Next she's quit her job! Says she's not happy there & her boss is being a bit of a tosser, I've pointed out that her medical condition is causing her to feel down but she's adamant that it's more than that. I personally think the fat fcuker has been hitting on her (have met him a few times & he always looked at her that way so I figure he's worked out I haven't been there for 6 months & is trying his luck) so from Monday she's free to travel until the op (we've scheduled it for 24th September).

So I've confessed to being in Manila & explained why I didn't tell her I was going, she completely understands (she knows how much I love to travel & trusts me (no reason not to, if I wanted to misbehave it's just as easy in Singapore/KL as it is in Philippines)) so all's good there and have booked us a week in Coron 15th-22nd September so will at least get to see 2 places on my list (Manila & Palawan) [emoji106]

Thanks again Chris for all the tips about traveling around the north It's definitely top of my list of things to do on my next trip to PI, have even convinced FP that she'll love the beaches in Pagudpud & the road trip back to Manila (so much so we would have done it this time if it wasn't for the fact that she's just not up to it at the moment, again, have been through this with 2 of my UK Ex's & know she'll bounce back once we get it sorted [emoji106])

Cheers

JB

Edited by JustB
  • Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Could be done via Laparoscopy and that's the way I would go.

They will run up the charges and you might get shocked.

Which hospital?

JustB
Posted
Posted

Thanks, she knows that money isn't a problem (she has her own that she's saved up but I've told her I'll pay) & has said that they've told her she won't have a visible scar (her main concern), will only need to stay in for 1 night for "Observation" & will be back to normal in a day or so, so I'm guessing they will be doing a Laparoscopy.

I'll find out the name of the hospital, there's a few decent ones in Davao City & she knows that I insist on the best possible treatment (& am happy to pay for it) so I'm sure she'll be in good hands [emoji106]

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
JustB
Posted
Posted (edited)

Quick update...

- Coron was awesome, to quote FP "The best holiday we've ever had", it really took her mind of everything & she really got into things, hiking 721 steps up Mt Tapayas, snorkeling etc... But by far her favorite was chillaxing in the hot spring at Maquinint.

- Operation went well, she's a bit sore but feeling better already & keeps reminding me that the Dr told her she must eat lots whilst she's recovering.

- My interview was a disaster, my mind wasn't on it & I basically came across as overqualified for the role (which I am but did nothing to temper/hide the fact)

- Fortunately my mate who put me forward for the role put a word in & highlighted the fact that his team has loads of work that needs doing as well so they can make a "bigger" role (at the same salary :() that everybody (including me) would be happy with, upshot I had another interview in Manila yesterday & am feeling more positive about the outcome (which is lucky as FP has decided she'd like to work in Singapore again so we're going to start looking for her a job there once she's recovered).

Thanks again for all the tips & pointers, we've both agreed that a trip to the north to visit Pagudpud, Laoag, Vigan etc... Would be awesome so will be looking to try to fit something in once she's feeling up to it [emoji106]

Edit: Shocking news about the kidnappings on Samal Island, it's a regular destination of mine when I visit FP in Davao & I've always felt really safe there...

Edited by JustB
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
JustB
Posted
Posted (edited)

Another quick update for anybody who might be interested...

FP is feeling much better now (though a couple of KGs heavier after taking the Dr's advice onboard & "Eaten Lots" whilst she was recovering), but also feeling very bored having given her job up.

So I'm at Changi airport now on my way to Cebu (via Kalibo :() to meet her, for a few weeks "Chillaxing" & the "Plan" is we'll do a few days going around Cebu City, then pop over to Bohol for a few days then play it by ear from there until 9th November when we'll come back to Singapore (again via Kalibo, the thought of not stopping off in Boracay for a few days is killing me, but cannot change the flights!!!) so she can go for an interview with her old company & I can have the salary "Negotiation" conversation about my new role.

Hope nobody has been impacted too much by the recent typhoon [emoji106]

Cheers

JB

Edited by JustB
  • Like 1