14 Years Today Where Was You

davewe
Posted
Posted

Getting ready for work and getting the kids ready for school. For some strange reason the TV was on (usually wouldn't have been). Sat there mesmerized at the beginning (of the end?). Finally rationalized that the kids had to go and so did I. Drove toward work but I couldn't help myself and went into a local department store's electronic department and watched as the towers came down. 

Going to work people were stunned and panicked. We were under attack and not only did people think our city could be next (not exactly a huge city) but that even our place of work might be important enough to be attacked. TVs were turned on and surrounded by frightened employees. It was weeks before the TVs were turned off.

And as someone else mentioned I was 10 and remember JFK like yesterday - and now 9/11. 

• Like 3

canadamale
Posted
Posted

I was working underground in a mine in the Canadian artic. The shift boss came into the shop and informed us the relief crew would not be flying in because all air traffic in North America had been grounded.( he did not know why) It was a long shift before we could get to surface to watch on the tv what was happening in New York. A lot of somber faces and heated debates on what was happening during supper that evening. The world changed forever that day, Condolences too the families who were torn apart on that day.

• Like 5

jon1
Posted
Posted

I was busy as normal at work when a fellow airman ran into my office announcing the news. We watched in disbelief as the 2nd plane hit, we immediately started to pack all of our equipment for deploying. I was in a high level reserve combat comms unit and everyone of us knew that we were going to have a long day. We called all of our spouses to fetch the children from school and stay away from the base. Over 90% of our unit showed up that day without being called in. By the end of that day (12 hours) we had packed enough gear and supplies to fill 8 C-5s with comms gear along with personal gear pre-deployed. Nobody made a disparaging remark about the long hours and heavy work as we knew that we would be in the thick of things soon enough. I spent 3 days living out of my office making preparations for all of the taskers. Within a couple of weeks, my unit had members in 7 different countries, doing a myriad of missions and everyone of us proud to be a part of the fight. 

I will never forget how silent it was that afternoon without air traffic overhead (our unit was on the flight approach to the local international airport and the base). 

It is very sad that so many people had to die like that and so many had to die for the freedoms that our country has.

• Like 5

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

I was ordering food in the office when my manager came and told me a plane had crashed inti the WTC.  He finished turning on the sets and we talked.  I said there would be hell to pay and an air traffic controller's head would roll.  Then the second plane came........Scott looked dumbfounded.  I said we're at war!!  Called the wife, went to the school to pick kids up, both were afraid, that afternoon I came back home for a quick snack and the younger girl asked why they were cheering in the mideast.  By that time it was know that Osama was a suspect.  I told her that some people were sick and some were evil.  And I also told her she was safe.  I prayed I hadn't lied.  The restaurants had a near record day, people left work and just watched.  Many came and ordered to go.  Every was at first in fear, then mad. What was truly amazing was how everyone came together,  Hispanics, Anglos, Blacks and even Arab immigrants (Toledo has a large Islamic  community). It lasted a long time, then somehow it became political.  Sad.  Both the attack and the missing togetherness.         

• Like 3

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

I was a truck driverand team drove because of a mechanic problem we were late for our delivery in riverside California, we d just got checked into a room at best western I called wife and she said turn on tv, turned it on and was watching second plane hit. for me as with all combat veterans it was a kick in the teeth. it still is, for kennedy I was in 4th grade class in Oregon,il teachers were called into office they came back crying.

• Like 4