Educating Our Children! ( With Culture In Mind & We Can't Change It)

chris49
Posted
Posted

What other topic, there's a few up today I have not read. Was it the Burning Garbage?

Did I again personalize it? That's my way to answer. If you notice I am not here to agree with every item that is posted.

The other day you did mention the "I and me" syndrome. Yet you have a poster here who's telling you every aspect of his life daily, I thought you meant him (as a riot may ensue)

I asked you in the middle what is the actual question but you referred me back to the OP, original post.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I asked you in the middle what is the actual question but you referred me back to the OP, original post.

Chris I have not Asked any Questions I have made Statements 

chris49
Posted
Posted

Chris I have not Asked any Questions I have made Statements 

I probably missed the whole point having now read the "Burning Trash" thread. Apologies if I did, and aplogies for not grasping onto the actual point of the thread.

My understanding was along the line of "A Filipino will be a Filipino due to being raised in the Filipino culture so don't try to change that" My kids are mixed Aussie/Filipino. I try to instill in them what I feel are the best aspects of both cultures. I anticipate they will follow the trend of wanting to go to a western country when they are able. I give them the best chance to do that and I notice my daughter using my Aussie expressions and even the accent so great.

EG. Going to church.Who is going to argue against the devotion of regular church attendance? But if asked my opinion, I will certainly give it.

• Like 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Well I'd always argue against going to church, not that most who do would listen. Anyhow, back to a point made earlier vis-a-vis the maid and the wife still doing the work. Previously back in Singapore one Sunday morning in bed the wife said to me "This house is too big for one person to keep clean" to which I replied "So why don't you help Alma (our maid, her cousin) then?". The subject was never raised again. :mocking:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I probably missed the whole point having now read the "Burning Trash" thread. Apologies if I did, and aplogies for not grasping onto the actual point of the thread.

Then let's say no more other than please read the whole thing First before Jumping in.post-2148-0-07460500-1445857929.png and Chris we all have a life but as such we all tell it a Different way, But more importantly, I should become we :thumbsup:  I take no offence but Lets think On EH?

Jack  post-2148-0-27141400-1445858198_thumb.jp  ?

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

Personally, I liked Jack's perspective because it doesn't take the normal "Philippines education sucks - give them a Western education" approach and talks about the reality that with or without a Western education kids will learn to do things the way their culture (and particularly their mother) dictates. 

Don't we all love our wives for exactly this reason? 

If I am lucky enough to have kids with Janet, I will hope they learn Filipino culture and ways; even if I don't follow some of those ways myself. 

I love my current teenagers but I must admit I am looking forward to seeing the differences - playing outside with others for one thing, something that is quickly disappearing from my culture.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Great thread Jack, and i understand all you are saying too, but do you think that the west is changing all this now,

All i can go on is the nieces and nephews who there parents seem to spend sorry throw money at them, they all go to private school have the latest gadgets and do bugger all around the house, they have a maid who does that, so these new  spoilt kids will be like lots of spoilt kids from the west ,

Progress they call it maybe, but a little hard work and respect to everyone in my eyes will make the world a better place,

No offence ment to any one who has kids who are great and work hard to help there parents in the near  future

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
Personally, I want my kids to be a lot like their mother and I'm proud to say they are.

Well said :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Good topic, Jack.  Yeah, the culture is a much bigger issue than schooling.  Decent schools with western standards can be found, but it's the culture of corruption that worries me with my daughter.  Once kids hit a certain age, almost all of their cultural education will come from their peers, and I certainly don't want my daughter learning such Filipino cultural standards as , "Just cheat on the test, everyone does it.", "It OK to steal from them, they have more than we do.", "No we don't work, auntie works in Dubai and sends us money." and the best one,  "Hopefully one day you will be lucky enough to get married and have many babies.  That's your main goal in life." etc, etc, etc.  One thing most expats don't realize, or want to accept, is that a country that produces great wives for older foreigners isn't exactly the best place to raise kids.  

• Like 4