Patriotism

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I would follow a gunnery sergeant anyday rather than a stiff collared senator or congressman.  Talk about white collar criminals with their false sense of duty called patriotism.  

Agree with that!

Heinlein's definition of patriotism is pretty out of left field.  It doesn't take into account the blind nationalism, as Earthdome mentions, that can occur.  It's a very delicate thread we weave finding a balance between the two.  As much as I love Heinlein's definition I think it's as naive as the people he criticises in the dialogue.   

As you guys know, I served for a long time.  I found myself in situations where I did not agree with the government of the day as to being there at all, yet in the same 12 month period I was in another theatre, not too far away, with a belief in my gut we were doing the right thing.  I don't want to say, but those with half a clue will know exactly where I mean.  Yet I still served.  

Where is this all going?  I'm still typing my full response.  

Just so you know, I, like all of you, salute all those that serve or did in the past.  I would hope that is a given, but it is the internet and you never know who may take things out of context.  

Roger that CWO!  We were probably in the same battle group bitchin' and moanin', like good sailors that we were.  I love it when we took pride for a job well done or mission accomplished.  And then, get sent back out to the Persian Gulf again which cancelled or delayed our arrival back home.  The wife or GF was more pissed off than we were!

I would follow a gunnery sergeant anyday rather than a stiff collared senator or congressman.  Talk about white collar criminals with their false sense of duty called patriotism.  

I would like to think that Heinlein was starting with the premise that he (we) are good human beings who understand right from wrong, good from evil, etc. 

Patriotism in this sense would not mean blindly following an immoral leader, e.g., Hitler, or following an order you know is immoral, such as, go kill those children over there.  In fact, your patriotism should lead you to fight against and expose those who issue such orders.  Not an easy task in the military where following orders is such an important part of the structure and discipline. 

So true OMW, it can be far to easy to slip into a "Nuremberg Defence" situation.