Cateyed Filipinos

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
Try blurting out to a Filipino : " hey, you are so fat!"  as a greeting. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't draw a bit of negative reaction at all.

You Obviously, have never Tried it my Friend.

In fact That is not in line with Racism at all, it is just Down right Rude, my wife has just seen this and tells me You Sir, would have had a slapped Face.

Edited to add

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
Try blurting out to a Filipino : " hey, you are so fat!"  as a greeting

Just this Sunday my wife and I helped teach the little kids in Sunday school.  The subject was being a good steward of the environment.  I showed pictures of the USA from the 60s and 70s showing how bad the pollution was.  My wife was showing various pictures of areas in the USA that we had visited and how clean and nice they were.  In one of those pictures we were seated at a table overlooking a nice park.  One of the Sunday school staff turned to me and in a loud voice said; "Sir Michael,  you used to be fat!"   :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:   I turned in profile, rubbed my stomach, and said; "Yes, but I have lost 22 kilo!"  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
Try blurting out to a Filipino : " hey, you are so fat!" as a greeting. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't draw a bit of negative reaction at all

As one long nose to another.....I really, really wouldn't try it...... :kidding:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Try blurting out to a Filipino : " hey, you are so fat!"  as a greeting

Just this Sunday my wife and I helped teach the little kids in Sunday school.  The subject was being a good steward of the environment.  I showed pictures of the USA from the 60s and 70s showing how bad the pollution was.  My wife was showing various pictures of areas in the USA that we had visited and how clean and nice they were.  In one of those pictures we were seated at a table overlooking a nice park.  One of the Sunday school staff turned to me and in a loud voice said; "Sir Michael,  you used to be fat!"     I turned in profile, rubbed my stomach, and said; "Yes, but I have lost 22 kilo!"  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Big Big Difference there though Mike as I am sure you will agree, Not a greeting, just a loud Comment. based on Photos.

Jack :)

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
Try blurting out to a Filipino : " hey, you are so fat!" as a greeting. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't draw a bit of negative reaction at all.

Skyskyper......naughty naughty..........You want to see us expats walking round with broken long noses :hystery:

(Pssst Jack look at his country of birth.......hehehe)

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
Big Big Difference there though Mike as I am sure you will agree, Not a greeting, just a loud Comment. based on Photos.

Yes Jack, I would agree.  Greeting a Filipino by saying he/she was fat would be a bad idea.  The situation I described is one in which all parties are friends and having a good time.  It was very clear to all involved that it was a friendly "tease".  I feel blessed that the people there care enough for me, and are comfortable in my presence, that he knew it was okay to poke a little fun.  Damn, I love it here.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I think I may know what Thomas means. It is when the person's eyes are slightly angled upward to the outside like a cat. I knew a black gal with eyes like that. :10001:

Exactly. 

Perhaps can call them "almond" shaped, rather big, more open than what I count as "chinese eyes".

I even google Filipino cat eyes but only got make up fashion trend for the eyes. Thomas, perhaps you can show us a photo showing that distinct facial features from a certain ethnic group?
Well. I don't know if it's ok to post photos of people without they know it. I don't have access to photos of most of them anyway, only one. 

They are scarp similar to your wife's eyes   :)   but some other shape.

They DON'T look as the Filipinos I have SEEN are partly chinese, without I knew it.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
Perhaps can call them "almond" shaped, rather big, more open than what I count as "chinese eyes".

Hi Thomas,

That's more understandable.

Almond shaped or Oval shaped sounds much better in my humble opinion,(realising your nationality)

I'm sure now no offence was intended, I tend to be more sensitive about hurting other people feelings, so notice these things more.

Regards JB

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Thomas,

That's more understandable.

Almond shaped or Oval shaped sounds much better in my humble opinion,(realising your nationality)

I'm sure now no offence was intended, I tend to be more sensitive about hurting other people feelings, so notice these things more.

Regards JB

I would say this look is similar to my wife's (although she would be the black almond look-I like a lot. Out here in the farming area, I always tell my wife "I'll never look pasteurize". Thought that one was fitting-sorry.. :bonk: I deserve it-ha ha. Anyway when I openly describe the difference in appearance, I am always saying it in complimentary fashion-like pretty eyes ma'am, or nice mocha skin, etc but never in insulting ways.

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Maybe a better description would be"Asian eyes" or maybe "oriental".

• Like 1