Ex Pats In Or Around Davao

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Rule of thumb works well for when you are asked to support the family... Your money will support you and your gf... Money to support her family is what she can make... Those who are scamming won't stick around long... :)

Yes, BobP, I am the other, true and only real Bob here... As you can tell by my name! Just kidding! One thing about living near a beach here? Be very careful of flood zones! Heavy rains one way or high tides the other! I lived in one area for 8 months and never had a problem... But you never can tell!

I just finished moving north by the airport... Cabantian way.. Lots of nice subdivisions with pools well within your budget... Taxis are everywhere, but, if you're smaller, jeepneys are a great way to meet girl - besides getting around... It's a great little city... The big part is that it also encompasses places far out from the main city itself... Still, transportation is pretty easy... If you're wondering why I say go north end? Humidity and heat! It's not that far into the hills, you're still close to all the malls, and its cool enough at night here that I don't even use a fan! As for swimming? Either go to a pool - Forest Hill Resort is one of my favorites - or take a ferry to one of the resorts on Samal... Beaches are much nicer and cleaner there... It's not far by ferry... And they are now taking about putting a bridge across to the island... Yeah, it's close!

Ok, sorry for the rambling.. I'm still unpacking from the move, trying to write a complete book and published this month and I became a grandpa again this morning.. Thankfully my gf was busy today or I wouldn't have made it on today! Lol!

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Thanks so much for your comments everyone.  I am soaking up all of your advice and trying to dot all of my i's and cross all of my t's before making a decision that I will regret.

BobP

:cheersty:

that is good Bob, I am not in Phils, but have been there many times and went to Davao once for a few days and got ripped (my first trip) by being trusting too soon.  

The blog above by our very learned member is exceptional and very diverse in coverage.  He is setting it all out for you.

The only thing I would add, would be that if you insist on supporting the family (I would not), then at least put her on a probationary period of your choice but at least several months and see how she goes with financial and other demands!  I hope she passes the test.

• Like 1

BobP
Posted
Posted

Rule of thumb works well for when you are asked to support the family... Your money will support you and your gf... Money to support her family is what she can make... Those who are scamming won't stick around long... :)

Yes, BobP, I am the other, true and only real Bob here... As you can tell by my name! Just kidding! One thing about living near a beach here? Be very careful of flood zones! Heavy rains one way or high tides the other! I lived in one area for 8 months and never had a problem... But you never can tell!

I just finished moving north by the airport... Cabantian way.. Lots of nice subdivisions with pools well within your budget... Taxis are everywhere, but, if you're smaller, jeepneys are a great way to meet girl - besides getting around... It's a great little city... The big part is that it also encompasses places far out from the main city itself... Still, transportation is pretty easy... If you're wondering why I say go north end? Humidity and heat! It's not that far into the hills, you're still close to all the malls, and its cool enough at night here that I don't even use a fan! As for swimming? Either go to a pool - Forest Hill Resort is one of my favorites - or take a ferry to one of the resorts on Samal... Beaches are much nicer and cleaner there... It's not far by ferry... And they are now taking about putting a bridge across to the island... Yeah, it's close!

Ok, sorry for the rambling.. I'm still unpacking from the move, trying to write a complete book and published this month and I became a grandpa again this morning.. Thankfully my gf was busy today or I wouldn't have made it on today! Lol!

Hi Bob, Thanks so much for the info!  Definitely good info.  Concerning the helping of her parents....I don't mind helping them out and my gf wants to keep working, so perhaps we can give a large portion of her earnings to her parents/family.  I want the two of us to be able to travel and enjoy life, not just live day to day.  Of course, she and I need to talk this out and be very sure of what will be expected of me/us.  

Bob, your little slice of the Phils sounds like heaven!  

Thanks again to you and everyone!

BobP

BobP
Posted
Posted

Thanks so much for your comments everyone.  I am soaking up all of your advice and trying to dot all of my i's and cross all of my t's before making a decision that I will regret.

BobP

that is good Bob, I am not in Phils, but have been there many times and went to Davao once for a few days and got ripped (my first trip) by being trusting too soon.  

The blog above by our very learned member is exceptional and very diverse in coverage.  He is setting it all out for you.

The only thing I would add, would be that if you insist on supporting the family (I would not), then at least put her on a probationary period of your choice but at least several months and see how she goes with financial and other demands!  I hope she passes the test.

Hi Mogo, 

Thanks for your comments and sorry to hear of your misfortune.  By nature, I am a very trusting and perhaps naive person.  

I am perfect prey for the scammers, but thanks to you guys, I am learning a lot!  :thumbsup:

My hope is that I meet my gf in person, get along famously and marry, find a nice place to live and meet you guys for a cold one!

Hoist a cold one for me!

BobP

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Davao City is a great place to live for some people, and others would never consider moving there, for a variety of reasons.  One thing to consider is that even though the city itself is relatively safe, it's still in Mindanao.  If you have loved ones back home in the US, they're probably going to worry about you much more for that reason.  Just simply too much negative press about that region, including the recent kidnappings on nearby Samal Island.  Not being alarmist here, but it's something to consider.

On a positive note, that can all work in your favor, if your girl's relatives become an issue and you want to relocate further away.  It's a convenient excuse to do just that, and still stay on somewhat friendly terms with everyone.  "The US embassy has warned it's not safe for me to stay here" sounds much better than "I'm sick and tired of your parasitic family, sweetie."   :lol:  Good luck to ya   :thumbsup:

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
Pangit
Posted
Posted

BobP

Hi Mogo, 

Thanks for your comments and sorry to hear of your misfortune.  By nature, I am a very trusting and perhaps naive person.  

I am perfect prey for the scammers, but thanks to you guys, I am learning a lot!  :thumbsup:

My hope is that I meet my gf in person, get along famously and marry, find a nice place to live and meet you guys for a cold one!

Hoist a cold one for me!

BobP

Bump.

BobP, January is here. 

How did you go mate?

I will be home in Davao next week. 

I live in Lanang, gated community there in a two bed 1 cr place.

I look forward to an update.

Cheers

Pangit.