Political Thuggery Filipino Style

mike
Posted
Posted (edited)

An amazing story from one of the local expatriates who lives out in my area: http://junglejil.blogspot.com/2009/ 08/philippine- navy-shoots- up-americans. htmlhttp://junglejil.blogspot.com/

Edited by Mr. Lee
repair, replace link

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

That American is a total tool shed! Yea, it is thuggery and wrong but that is how things are in Philippines.As a Foreigner it

mike
Posted
Posted (edited)
That American is a total tool shed! Yea, it is thuggery and wrong but that is how things are in Philippines.As a Foreigner it's foolish to compete with Filipinos. IMO he is lucky to be alive. For him to then detail the facts and video online is just asking for a violent reaction. The local power brokers could lose face and I don't know of a faster way end up dead. Did the American "ask" permission to fish in that area? Did he work with the locals?
I do not believe for one minute that you can be serious. You think that his Filipina wife has no rights to be on board their filipino registered vessel. He was not on board fishing, she and her Filipino crew were.His detailing on line will probably keep him alive despite the muderous track record of the local officials there, media have died in Gingoog for less. Then again, I suppose they deserved that because they never got local permission to report on local wrong doings etc.I compete with locals here and so do many others and more power to us for standing up and being part of the community here and employing local people. Such actions do not deserve the death penalty. I think he is a brave and principled individual and not a tool shed, more such people are needed.Mike Edited by Boss Man
Fixed quote tags

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Mike, I think I understand your anger at my reply and I respect your point. What happened to him was totally wrong, I agree with you on that. However things in Philippines especially rural Philippines are not the same in more civilized countries. To do business there you must work with the locals like it or not. What complicates things is that we are the

mike
Posted
Posted
Mike, I think I understand your anger at my reply and I respect your point. What happened to him was totally wrong, I agree with you on that. However things in Philippines especially rural Philippines are not the same in more civilized countries. To do business there you must work with the locals like it or not. What complicates things is that we are the "foreigners". I stand by what I said about his lack of understanding especially to do with fishing. Did you know each fishing area is controlled by local customs and families? I'm not saying it's right but it is the way it is.
Am not angry at your reply, just surprised that you condone the actions because it is regarded as custome and practice, even if illegal. A quick google will show the Vice mayor of Gingoog has been named in the murder of a journalist who reported his alledged wrong doings. So I suppose the Filipino journalist should have realized he was going to die because custom and practice would allow for it.!!Sorry but as you can see I do not hold with the idea of local mafia custom and practice holding sway.I think, Randy his wife and crew are the heroes of this place, not the perpetrators of any wrong doing at all.

Mik
Posted
Posted

Link:http://junglejil.blogspot.com/2009/08/phil...-americans.htmlMarch 14th 2007. A separate corruption index, for Asia, put out by the Political and Economic Risk Consultancy (PERC), has been released. Indonesia is now no longer the most corrupt country in Asia (see scores in brackets for last year), this honour now being taken by the Philippines. http://www.indonesiamatters.com/800/corruption-index/1: Singapore, scored 1.20 (1.30, previous year)2: Hong Kong, 1.87 (3.13)3: Japan, 2.10 (3.01)4: Macau, 5.11 (4.78)5: Taiwan, 6.23 (5.91)6: Malaysia, 6.25 (6.13)7: China, 6.29 (7.58)8: South Korea, 6.3 (5.44)9: India, 6.67 (6.76)10: Vietnam 7.54 (7.91)11: Indonesia, 8.03 (8.16)12: Thailand, 8.03 (7.64)13: Philippines, 9.40 (7.80)

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I didn't have an experience anywhere near as severe as this, but my wife learned that she's no longer seen as a Filipona, she's now seen as 'the foreigner's wife' and has a different set of rules she needs to live by now. We help out my mother-in-law each month, and my wife wants to earn money so she can contribute to the household finances. Its hard for a 35 year old woman to find a job in Baguio, so she started cooking food and selling it to door to door in our neighborhood. She's a pretty good cook and was netting about 500 php per day with her business.And then the problems started. Neighbors asked her why she was working since she married a foreigner and didn't need the money. Why was she taking money away from the people running the local food stalls who needed it more? Rather than become the neighborhood pariahs, she stopped her business. Aside from the cronyism and corruption evidenced by the original story posted, many Filipinos just can't understand why anyone would want to work when they could sit on their a** all day and live off the work of others. This attitude towards people working to get ahead goes a long way to explaining why this country is the way it is.

Travis
Posted
Posted
I didn't have an experience anywhere near as severe as this, but my wife learned that she's no longer seen as a Filipona, she's now seen as 'the foreigner's wife' and has a different set of rules she needs to live by now. We help out my mother-in-law each month, and my wife wants to earn money so she can contribute to the household finances. Its hard for a 35 year old woman to find a job in Baguio, so she started cooking food and selling it to door to door in our neighborhood. She's a pretty good cook and was netting about 500 php per day with her business.And then the problems started. Neighbors asked her why she was working since she married a foreigner and didn't need the money. Why was she taking money away from the people running the local food stalls who needed it more? Rather than become the neighborhood pariahs, she stopped her business. Aside from the cronyism and corruption evidenced by the original story posted, many Filipinos just can't understand why anyone would want to work when they could sit on their a** all day and live off the work of others. This attitude towards people working to get ahead goes a long way to explaining why this country is the way it is.
wow :welcome: that is bad to hear

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Here is a follow up to that story. So what do you think their chances are? While I hope they win, my thoughts are that they are bucking a system that will probably result in him being deported or possibly worse, but I would be behind him 100% because things have to change and many Filipinos have to stop thinking all whites or foreigners are so rich that they can take advantage of them or in this case take away their one and only livelihood.American prepares raps vs Ruthie, KhoAN American and his Filipino wife yesterday threatened to file charges against Gingoog officials and law enforcers for allegedly seizing their fishing boat illegally on the waters off eastern Misamis Oriental and damaging it over a week ago.An 8:01-minute video recording of the alleged harassment was posted on Youtube. The complainants said there are more.Facing charges are Gingoog Mayor Ruthie Guingona, Vice Mayor Marlon Kho, Navy and police personnel and a local fisheries officer.Randy Stirm and his wife Cherry said their lawyer was preparing charges, possibly separate, against the officials in connection with alleged acts of harassment last Aug. 14.Stirm claimed Navy personnel fired shots at the fishing boat FB Cherry, harassed its crew and then seized it without a warrant.When the fishing boat was retrieved, equipment, including an expensive net, were nowhere to be found. It had bullet holes and the booms and rope work were cut, said Stirm.The over P2-million boat was also badly damaged it would take at least P600 thousand to repair it, Stirm told The Gold Star Daily.

johnb
Posted
Posted

I think your right Lee, this guy is brave to take on the authorities but I fear it will all end in tears for him, even if he's legal and correct in every aspect it makes little difference,as a foreigner he'll end up screwed.I run a small business here in Cebu, we get by each month "just about" we have no other income from any source, if we had to go head to head with some bureaucratic fool we have to close within a month......this is not an easy place to run a business, the cards are always stacked against you.John