Newborn Baby To Be.

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

I come to you all for advice/ knowledge and wisdom....yet again, Lol.

As I mentioned in a previous post, my partner will be giving birth in early February 2016. This will be in Cebu City. Mother is a Filipina and I am English. We are not married.

When baby arrives what am I to do??? Wow, there are of course so many answers to that, wetting the babies head is most definitely a British tradition, so the beers are on me for anyone around the area at that time!! 

However, what I really do need to know is all about the little 'uns birth certificate, registration in Philippines and UK to qualify for dual citizenship etc.

Basically.......  HELP!!   What do I need to be doing formally/legally?

I only have about 5 weeks in the Phils on this visit and need to get all the necessary done and hopefully get it done right first time (Wont be holding my breath on that one then, bound to make a pigs ear of it! :hystery: ). 

Your input and guidance is gratefully received in advance.

:cheersty:

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

5 weeks is really minimal to get things done. I suggest you complete the first part which is the Filipino Birth Certificate, and that takes about 3-4 weeks to process and get the original Birth Certificate back from the NSO (National Statistics Office)

Roughly in sequence.

1. Get the hospital birth record which is the Certificate of Live Birth from the hospital, should be available at time of discharge. If on weekend or holiday you might have to go back to pick it up. Get the **Hospital Delivery Record or copy at this time and take a few pictures of Mom, baby and you. The embassy would like to see all that later, so hold onto it.

2. Take all those documents to your local City Hall or Municipal Hall. They have you sign a few things and because you are not married they ask you to sign an Affidavit stating that you are the father and you take responsibility for the child. This document requires notarization, so they might send you out to get it notarized or even signed by a lawyer. Most lawyer offices do it routinely, about 100-200 pesos for the signature.

3. Now take all those documents to the local office of NSO. As they take the docs you pay about 300 and I think there's an express fee of 500, not sure how much. If you pay the express fee you get the child's original Birth Certificate in 3 weeks, not sooner, because it's processed in Manila.

Mate, I'm not sure about the British Embassy, but at the US and Aussie Embassies you need an appointment to go, you, the mother and baby. It looks like you won't have time to do that in 5 weeks. But it's not urgent, up to age 18, applications for citizenship are accepted.

However. If out of wedlock, they might ask for DNA testing which will definitely complicate things.

I suggest you process the Birth Certificate first, then give a call or email to the British Embassy.

**the Embassy is going to ask for the Hospital Delivery Record and maybe the pictures as evidence, along with pre natal records and any ultrasound done. And then they are going to check your passport to ensure you were here in the Philippines when the baby was conceived.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

The British Embassy WILL require a DNA test by their approved clinic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Eddie,

Wow, you got a plate full and no time to do it either.  If my Inglesh cum-pre-hin-sion serves me right, I think you're asking two separate questions?  The first being.....can you legally gain status of biological father even though you're not married?  Or do you need to provide proof of a marriage certificate first?  

Secondly, how can you expedite the process given the time permitted?  You may be surprise that the padre and his staff could possibly help you out, like a package deal.  

Best of luck to you sir!

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Hi Eddie

This might help you

https://www.gov. uk/register-a-birth

chris49
Posted
Posted

OK, here's the thing.

A newborn baby with a Filipina mother is not going to need the citizenship until a bit later in life.  You try to convince that also to the mother so she won't be pressurising you. DNA is a complicated procedure and takes a few weeks for the result to come back. I did it for out first child and it cost me around $600 for the test, plus travel expenses to Manila and a hotel. We did get married but is wasn't at the time of conception, so the interviewer immediately went for the DNA test. For the 2nd child, he signed it off without even asking questions.

Make inquiries in UK to confirm what we are saying. Then try to leave it aside for a while, it is not urgent.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

OK, here's the thing.

A newborn baby with a Filipina mother is not going to need the citizenship until a bit later in life.  You try to convince that also to the mother so she won't be pressurising you. DNA is a complicated procedure and takes a few weeks for the result to come back. I did it for out first child and it cost me around $600 for the test, plus travel expenses to Manila and a hotel. We did get married but is wasn't at the time of conception, so the interviewer immediately went for the DNA test. For the 2nd child, he signed it off without even asking questions.

Make inquiries in UK to confirm what we are saying. Then try to leave it aside for a while, it is not urgent.

I haven`t registered my daughter yet. Next year when I din`t need my old passport at immigration I will do it along with my 13a. LikeChris says there is no rush.Another option is to get your daughter a British passport.

• Like 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

First and foremost, Chris 49, Methersgate and Jake.... Thank you all for your swift replies, greatly appreciated sirs.

It looks a bit more involved than I thought, Hmm should have guessed. :bash:

So it looks like the Philippine bit first and then when I come back later to the Phils in 2016 on a permanent basis it will be easier to sort out the rest then, hopefully it will all pan out ok in the long run.

Thanks again guys for your input.

• Like 2

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

Hi Sonjack,

Sorry mate, didn't see your post when I was thanking the other guys, believe me I am so slow at using a computer keyboard, Lol.

The link you sent me wont open but I will try and pursue it.

However, how do you know the sex of my unborn .... ''Another option is to get your daughter a British passport'' ??

Geezer, what's going on here? Haha, just kidding. :mocking:

Thanks for your input, appreciated.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Sonjack,

Sorry mate, didn't see your post when I was thanking the other guys, believe me I am so slow at using a computer keyboard, Lol.

The link you sent me wont open but I will try and pursue it.

However, how do you know the sex of my unborn .... ''Another option is to get your daughter a British passport'' ??

Geezer, what's going on here? Haha, just kidding. :mocking:

Thanks for your input, appreciated.

I had a few beers yesterday and when that happens I know everything haha ok ok or son. If you just google registering a baby abroad you should get the links for the process just make sure you go to the ones which are .gov .uk

Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 4