Housing Laws

Mike_56
Posted
Posted

Can I ask why you are interested in the subject?

No special reason, was quite impressed by the divide. S-one check if i understand correctly: land belongs either to citizens who long ago received property rights (how?) or to the gov-nt. Those homeless/landless can only get subsidy from the govnt (shelter program) to spend on construction/purchase; they can lease/buy govt land but cant receive it for free (in their own country!) So those who cannot qualify for subsidies set up informal settlements, although by the law they should make themselves disappear. Surely the place was not left untouched by the evils of capitalism.
There are many homeless/illegal squatters----Seen all over in my area. (metro manila) along rivers, under bridges etc.

Their slums have to be made of something, what materials, do they pay for them?
Also, references to the law would be useful. 

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

Can I ask why you are interested in the subject?

No special reason, was quite impressed by the divide. S-one check if i understand correctly: land belongs either to citizens who long ago received property rights (how?) or to the gov-nt. Those homeless/landless can only get subsidy from the govnt (shelter program) to spend on construction/purchase; they can lease/buy govt land but cant receive it for free (in their own country!) So those who cannot qualify for subsidies set up informal settlements, although by the law they should make themselves disappear. Surely the place was not left untouched by the evils of capitalism.

There are many homeless/illegal squatters----Seen all over in my area. (metro manila) along rivers, under bridges etc.

Their slums have to be made of something, what materials, do they pay for them?

Also, references to the law would be useful.

When you refer to building "materials" I'm not sure you have seen a squatter area. The materials are scraps they've found or scavenged. I've seen houses completely built out of cardboard reinforced with a little bamboo and sticks.

This picture I took is of a squatter area. This is a very nice two story river villa to many folks.post-352-0-47964200-1449694874_thumb.jpgpost-352-0-47964200-1449694874_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

Sorry I accidentally posted the photo twice...fat thumbs.

I took the photo from a banca (boat) while paddling down what was called the sh!t river just off the old naval base that separates the base from Olongapo City.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

I took the photo from a banca (boat) while paddling down what was called the sh!t river just off the old naval base that separates the base from Olongapo City.

Yeah, my home away from home!  I was a coin diver back in those days.....he, he.

Double LIKE Blues!

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

I hope you're kidding about diving for Coins there. I tossed a few to the kids but always tried to throw it to them. I felt sorry for the kids that had to dive into that muck for a Peso. I wonder how many kids got sick from the polluted water.

By the way Jake thanks for your comments and contributions here. You're one of the guys who makes it not only informative here but also entertaining. This truly is the best Philippine forum and I look forward to reading it almost daily. Peace brother.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Excellent representation in the pictures BluesDude.

There behind or adjacent to Tri Noma, SM North, Quezen City, Agham area. Tri Noma was not there when I arrive Nov 2005. Take what you see there and make in 200 dwellings long and 200 deep and because there was no water there add in rooms or separate dwellings on ground level. Now put up to 10 or more people in each unit and you see how it adds up to 8 million, 12 million per some sources.

• Like 3

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

Excellent representation in the pictures BluesDude.

There behind or adjacent to Tri Noma, SM North, Quezen City, Agham area. Tri Noma was not there when I arrive Nov 2005. Take what you see there and make in 200 dwellings long and 200 deep and because there was no water there add in rooms or separate dwellings on ground level. Now put up to 10 or more people in each unit and you see how it adds up to 8 million, 12 million per some sources.

I wonder what the actual population of squatters are in the Philippines vs actual land owners. Thanks for the comment on the photo Chris49.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
I wonder what the actual population of squatters are in the Philippines vs actual land owners.

The government probably has an idea of the numbers in Metro Manila and QC, but since I have been here, they never released the actual numbers.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I wonder what the actual population of squatters are in the Philippines vs actual land owners

After a lot of googling, this is all I could find

In 1990, 1.4 million occupied dwelling units were

located in Metro Manila out of the Philippine total of 9.5

million (National Statistical Co-ordination Board 2001,

Table 1)2. Of the total of 11.4 million households, 9.4

million live in dwelling units that are owned or being paid

off, 907,051 are rented, 1 million

live in dwelling units occupied for

free with the consent of the owner,

and 30,110 live in dwelling units

which are occupied for free without

the consent of the owner.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I wonder what the actual population of squatters are in the Philippines vs actual land owners.
Well. Many LOOK as landowners but are EITHER. They aren't realy owning the land, but have "use right". When same family have had that and paid taxes long time, then they have chance to become owner by titling the land.

/If they have had it since close after WWII, then they have RIGHT to get it (for a fee) if it's surveyed and the inheritance background is cleared enough.

/If they have had it shorter, but at least 10 years, then they have CHANCE to get it by applying.