Brit Turon Vendor Ill, Needs Help

jpbago
Posted
Posted

This is from today's Visayan Daily Star:

Brit turon vendor ill, needs help
BY CARLA GOMEZ

Bryan Reano, the 61-year-old British national who sells spicy lumpia and turon with a twist on the streets of Bacolod for a living, is very sick and needs help.

He is suffering from pneumonia and nearly passed away at the Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital in Bacolod City, his partner, Rosalinda Labajo, 58, of Talisay City said yesterday.

Labajo said because she has to watch Reano at the hospital, she has not been able to sell lumpia and turon to earn money for his medical needs and is appealing for help.

In fact she has had barely any sleep as she cannot leave him in the hospital alone, she said.

“I am his only family here,” she explained.

Before moving to the Philippines, the Briton worked as a waiter in some of the top restaurants in Paris for 15 years. He met online Labajo, then a fish broker at a port in Barangay Catabla, Talisay City, and fell in love with her.

“She (Labajo) made me laugh so I sold my house, my car and everything I owned and came to the Philippines,” Reano said.

Reano arrived in Negros Occidental province in February 2012 and lost his money when he attempted to go into the fishing business.

As a result the couple decided to sell lumpia and turon on the streets and have enjoyed it.

“In the Philippines, wala obra, wala kaon (no work, no eat),” Reano said.

Labajo said Reano decided to stop drinking alcohol and smoking recently and went cold turkey.

He then developed a cold that he insisted was just an allergy from the heat, but ended up with pneumonia, she said.

She said Reano is on N asogastric Tube Feeding and a respirator but cannot be placed in the intensive care unit at the CLMMRH as their ICU is full, she said.

His condition is deteriorating but we cannot afford a private hospital, she said.

“I am appealing for help so he can get better,” said Labajo, who is praying for another Christmas with the man she loves.

Those who wish to help Reano may visit the couple at the CLMMRH or leave their assistance at the Visayan DAILY STAR office at Singcang, Bacolod.*CPG

It seems that he has no health insurance and no emergency medical savings.

Here are 2 other stories and a video of him:

http://kickerdaily.com/briton-leaves-old-life-for-pinay-happily-sells-turon-lumpia-with-her/

http://www.choosephilippines.com/specials/people/3726/bryan-reano-lumpia-turon/

• Like 1

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted

GoFundMe might help

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

GoFundMe might help

I doubt it. Go fund is mainly to extract money from people you know as cases like this not a lot will care. Also I read somewhere that it's hard to find a gofunding site that will send money to the Philippines so someone else would probably have to set it up from another country and then transfer the money and by the time if anyone did donate there's a good chance it will go towards his funeral rather than save his life. 

I think the only hope he has is if the expat community in Bacolod got together to work out a plan but I don't see that happening either.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

This is a very sad story. Both my partner and myself have been formerly active in helping both financially and morally some expats in difficult situations. The most recent was an Australian whom I believe was falsy accused of an indecent act. We visited him several times in prison, not easy as one goes through a humiliating strip search. Sorry if off topic but my point is we received zero thank you. Even helping with an attorney, no salamat at any time in each case.

Now we use our very limited resources in schooling kids whom otherwise would be on the streets, here we receive gratitude.

Having this off my chest I shall visit this guy next week, must be family or friends back in the UK. Further there are avenues available here which I shall suggest to his wife. From memory there is a yahoo group consisting of expat Brits, perhaps some of our Brit members can forward the info to the group.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have known expat friends who were equally down on their luck.  Some died, some are still mucking about with living here with no income.  In most cases (almost all) I have got together with other friends and offered to get the guy a flight home so their own country's social welfare system can take care of them.

Only one guy ever took me/us up on the offer and it took him many years to come around to the realization that this was his only hope to survive.  That fellow went back to Australia and still died within 2 years.

This is yet another case where you have to allow the other fellow the freedom to make his own decisions and live or die with the consequences.

RBM
Posted
Posted

This is yet another case where you have to allow the other fellow the freedom to make his own decisions and live or die with the consequences.

Dave not sure how this poor guy can make his own decisions as he is on a respirator.

I have been trying to find someone whom is a member of the Brit club, unfortunately most seem to be abroad for Xmas.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Dave not sure how this poor guy can make his own decisions as he is on a respirator.

He made his decisions before he ever ended up there.  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

While feeling for this Guy, it goes to prove, what we all say, Plan "B" must always be there.

Jack :unsure:

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Sorry my last post here was in error, I thought was on a different post. Could a mod please remove it

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Sorry my last post here was in error, I thought was on a different post. Could a mod please remove it

I think its done.  If I removed the wrong one then let me know.

• Like 1