Buildng Cost Per Sqm

fred
Posted
Posted

We built these for 15 k per sqr mtr last year.. No contractor mind you!

www.stanleyhouseseaview.com

What I fail to understand though is why building materials are going up when oil prices are going down??

• Like 3

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I am about to start a build next week....basically what Dave said, materials +40%. For us that has been " estimated " at around 9k per sqm. in a 90sqm house. I am building in clay bricks...15 x 30..... This should see the house finished and livable. Bricks are obviously much more expensive than hollow blocks but it does cut out the extra cement for screeding the walls inside and out and the usual five coats of paint that goes with that. As the interior walls will be brick as well. I shall be using shellac for the walls and all the wood, including the exposed beams in the sala will be mahogany. Using bricks will also make the house cooler, negating the use of aircon, which I despise anyway! The largest cost will be the roof which will be covering a 2m verandah on 3 sides with an 8 x 3 patio at the back.

I will post some pics as it progresses, hoping that the estimate is accurate to a point!

These are the costs in Marbel, where I live!

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I am about to start a build next week....basically what Dave said, materials +40%. For us that has been " estimated " at around 9k per sqm. in a 90sqm house. I am building in clay bricks...15 x 30..... This should see the house finished and livable. Bricks are obviously much more expensive than hollow blocks but it does cut out the extra cement for screeding the walls inside and out and the usual five coats of paint that goes with that. As the interior walls will be brick as well. I shall be using shellac for the walls and all the wood, including the exposed beams in the sala will be mahogany. Using bricks will also make the house cooler, negating the use of aircon, which I despise anyway! The largest cost will be the roof which will be covering a 2m verandah on 3 sides with an 8 x 3 patio at the back.

I will post some pics as it progresses, hoping that the estimate is accurate to a point!

Yes keep us informed as I plan on building some time in the near future and would like to get as many ideas as I can.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

My wife had a Boarding House built. It only has 3 separate rooms and they had to share CR. She will add to it as the need arises.Plenty of land space for expansion. She has never had all 3 rooms rented at the same time. It's small income that she puts in the bank for future construction. She will not allow me to contribute. I don't know why.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Brother, have you really opened a can of worms here :hystery: , since there are over 7100 islands here, if we had an member build a house on each of the islands you would get that many answers.

Having said that, we build an approximately 150 square meter two story house here in Metro Manila. Paid higher wages, but lower material costs etc etc etc. It came out to right around 66,000 peso per square meter. When we were in the planning stage our architect guestimated about 63,000 per square meter for planning purposes.

Don't know what category really, but it was move in ready. That was electrical, plumbing, roofed etc. all we had to do was move in the furniture.

A lot will depend on where you build, what quality materials and all that.

good luck, :cheersty:

Scott,

That is higher costs than anything I have read for building, even in metro.  Does your cost also include the land?  If not, this will really make me rethink my building plans.

danny

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
That is higher costs than anything I have read for building, even in metro.

Destruction and haul away of old house, best building materials available, labor, design and blue prints, the whole nine yards from demo to walking in and turning on the lights.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Ynot: I am just going to through this in for what its worth. We planned our home for 2-3 years before we moved, so had things pretty much ready for when we hit the ground. 

When I mentioned quality of materials they vary widely. We tore down our old house I noticed the Ree Bar used in the cinder block was thinner than my little finger. While walking around the area I noticed different thicknesses being used. We used commercial grade. There are (or were 3 years ago) 3 different grades of cinder block (priced accordingly) we used the best quality, same holds for cement.

What I did was ask my architect for a list of materials that would be needed for the first 3 weeks of work. Plywood, coco lumber, cement, cinderblocks etc. etc. etc. I then made a spreadsheet listing these items with columns for prices and quality. So when it was returned I had 3 prices for cinderblock. 

I made 4 copies and took 3 of them to local building suppliers and asked for prices. I had my brother in law take one to another place just to make sure that I wasn't going to get ripped off. All 4 were remarkably close in price. Varying a peso here and there on different items. (by the by I noticed the same thing when shopping for appliances, most major retailers seem to collude in pricing, hardly worth the gas to comparison shop loloololol). I picked the guy who was closest and who spoke the best English, am friends with him to this day.

Anyway, just my experience.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

We built a very small house, on her uncle's land.  It is one room, with a cr. Not one bedroom - one room.  It is 30 sqm.  The estimate I got for materials was p122,000, and labor would be 50% of material cost.The actual cost was surprisingly close to that. 

For just under p200,000 I got what they call a house... for another p100,000 I got what I call a house ha ha. 

We knew going into it that the initial cost was for a "basic" house.  Hollow block/cement walls, tin roof, kitchen counter, tile sink, but it even included a ceiling.  If I wanted some optional (foreigner) things I would do them after. So they built the base house in 6 weeks.  Pretty much on time, and on budget. Then I used mostly the same guys and added tile, American style cr fixtures, sliding windows, doors, a 20 sqm bamboo/nipa front porch, paint... you know... optional.

Total cost was p300,000 for a 30 sqm house and a 20 sqm porch.  So it came in right at p10.000 a sqm, not counting the porch (the porch makes it look much bigger - but was only p5,000 ha ha).  Or for us yanks - $6,500.  Overall I am pretty happy with it.

I stayed out of their way, for the most part.  I let them build how they wanted. I figured that when they build for themselves, the houses last ok... so let them do it. 

The only thing I do not like is the crappy electrical...but as I said it was on her uncle's land... and uncle is professional electrician... so it was out of my hands.  If we build a bigger house later (like after I retire and get more money) I will insist on doing the electrical myself, but this works.   :tiphat:

~Edit~ here is my spreadsheet...  well I guess not... I am not permitted to upload that kind of file (xls)... bummer

~2nd Edit~  Ok.  Here is a doc file copy of my spreadsheet. It looks like the formatting stayed ok...House Construction 2015.docx

Edited by Tukaram (Tim)
  • Like 5

Ynot
Posted
Posted

I am looking forward to the pics, and plan if possible :) 90 SQM sounds like a nice size particularly given my gf current room is only about 15 SQM