Six Feet Under

Nephi
Posted
Posted

We all take for granted our birth and celebrate the event every year. Yet death, that uncertain door that lays ahead for us all we tend to put aside as if it is something that we can avoid if it is not talked or thought about. But as much as we might like or want to live forever, such is not the case and we must accept that fact in one way or another.

With that in mind, I buried a close friend yesterday. Another expat, an American that I have known for over five years that lived just 6 streets from our home. At just 55 years old he was far too young to have this happen. But who's to say for sure what is the right time.

He loved life and lived it to the fullest and as such was far overweight with other medical issues that he ignored and it cost him the ultimate price.

Naturally he is missed but that is only part of the story. The rest of the story is that he leaves behind a girlfriend and a very young child without providing any information or monetary means of covering his final expenses.

The point is that we, as adults, no matter how much we do not want to deal with end of life and the issues it raises it is something that we should all take the time to help our families plan for and deal with in advance.

This is of added importance where we are living in a foreign country where laws can come into play. This is especially true if you are living with someone that you are not legally married to.

​Funeral homes and or cemeteries and crematories demand a notarized release before any final disposition can take place. A difficult and almost impossible document to acquire from someone overseas.

Just two months ago, my (legal) wife and I got talking about this very thing and decided then that we must plan for these things now, in advance, so that our children would not be put into a bad position and possibly a financially disastrous position when something eventually happens to one or both of us.

​We did some shopping around and ended up purchasing complete coverage for both of us. It was the most uncomfortable and unpleasant shopping we have ever done but is truly a relief to know that our grand exit from this life will be taken care of without financially destroying our children. 

Although this topic is not easy or fun to talk about in any family or to even write about in a forum; it is I think something that should be brought up in some way or another. To give us pause and to remind us that we are mortal and that planning ahead makes it easier for those that we love.

With that, we would like to say a big and final goodbye to our dear friend, Steve Sutton. You will be missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing you.

Nephi & Family

post-5815-0-97400300-1453915686_thumb.jp

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Sorry for you lost of a good friend,

How many people out there dont have any cover what so ever for the just incase,

Maybe lots just think they will live forever and the children will be fine

I dont have any insurance but have saving for the just incase,

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

I guess your right Nephi

A subject we tend not to talk about just like not making a will.

But with commitment comes responsibility especially when children are involved.

However all to often from what I know about Philippines,where Medical Care and Funeral expenses tend to left to the adult children to fund and very often from those working abroad.

As for the poor the kindness of family and neighbours is usually the source of money.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My condolences for the loss of your friend.  The passing of friends happens far too often when we retire to the Philippines.

You suggest we talk about it but for my own eventual demise I tend to put off thinking about it as I cannot afford it right now.  In my ideal world I would put enough money in my wife's bank account to cover reasonable medical and funeral expenses and to give her something to live on for a year until she gets on her feet.  If my wife was closer to me in age I would be more concerned about what she would do when the money runs out but at her age, once she gets over my passing she will still have a full life in front of her. However, as each decade passes and I am still here, my thoughts on this will change.

As I reread what I wrote I have to say that getting Yvonne to keep that much money in the bank without spending it or constantly nagging me to spend it would probably be impossible, but the thought is good.

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted

My condolences for the loss of your friend.  The passing of friends happens far too often when we retire to the Philippines.

You suggest we talk about it but for my own eventual demise I tend to put off thinking about it as I cannot afford it right now.  In my ideal world I would put enough money in my wife's bank account to cover reasonable medical and funeral expenses and to give her something to live on for a year until she gets on her feet.  If my wife was closer to me in age I would be more concerned about what she would do when the money runs out but at her age, once she gets over my passing she will still have a full life in front of her. However, as each decade passes and I am still here, my thoughts on this will change.

As I reread what I wrote I have to say that getting Yvonne to keep that much money in the bank without spending it or constantly nagging me to spend it would probably be impossible, but the thought is good.

Maybe it's just our age as retirees that causes us to continually loose other expat friends on a regular basis here. Or perhaps many just don't watch their health and let things go; but you are right in that it seems to be happening too often.

We too do not have the ability to just fork over large amounts for extras. We ended up using a company that is all over the country and are paying a monthly amount-in advance. I would never have trusted such a thing or company due to the overwhelming dishonesty here in country. But another good friend from the States bought into this several years ago and ended up needing it for himself. It worked in every detail so we decided what the hay and are doing the same things and a second company to pay for us to have a place to be "planted" when the time comes eventually.

With four young daughters to raise, I'd much rather spend the money on education or even fun stuff. At the same time though, we felt that this will indeed help their future inasmuch as it will save them a bundle when the time comes.

Who knows, maybe I'll live forever and will cash in the thing in a few years and take a vacation in Hawaii  :cheersty: ..

Regards

Nephi

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
. I would never have trusted such a thing or company due to the overwhelming dishonesty here in country. But another good friend from the States bought into this several years ago and ended up needing it for himself. It worked in every detail

I would be interested to read details.  Remember that it is OK to provide generic company names and links that are for info only (no financial gain to you) so feel encouraged to provide as much detail as you can.  Its important as I remember a plan (Legacy Consolidated) that ran for 11 years with other expats getting great returns but when I put my money in the darn thing turned out to be a scam that I was on the tail end of.  Thus the more details that we share, the safer our money becomes.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Yes Dave,

Would be interested in the costs.  Back in Oz,you can pre pay for a funeral which I did for my Mum some 6 or more years ago, as they said she was about to check out - they forgot to tell her and she is still going.  Next week will be 94, but scrambled eggs unfortunately.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My Wife is and has been for over 10 years a local Agent for this Company (I am not Plugging it at all) it has had  good revues  over the Years and to me well worth a look at.

http://www.stpeter.com.ph/page/st-peter-life-plans-with-money-back

Jack  :)

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Jack, I have heard of that St Peters plan before and no bad reports.  But the 'full contract price' says 150K peso.  I have never known it to cost that much to handle the remains of an expat.  We don't require 2 weeks tongit playing when we go.  Oops, when I look further down the page I see St Francis is only 46K and he happens to be my favorite Saint.

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted

. I would never have trusted such a thing or company due to the overwhelming dishonesty here in country. But another good friend from the States bought into this several years ago and ended up needing it for himself. It worked in every detail

I would be interested to read details.  Remember that it is OK to provide generic company names and links that are for info only (no financial gain to you) so feel encouraged to provide as much detail as you can.  Its important as I remember a plan (Legacy Consolidated) that ran for 11 years with other expats getting great returns but when I put my money in the darn thing turned out to be a scam that I was on the tail end of.  Thus the more details that we share, the safer our money becomes.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the go ahead on the funeral company. I really do not want to post links to this as it would look like an advert. The name is St. Peter and I would assume they are searchable online. Again, I would have little or no faith in "local" companies of any kind. We only decided on this after another friends family used what was paid for and it worked well.

This is a terrible subject for a post thread! Eeh, I'll make my next post on a more positive subject.

Nephi

• Like 2