Rollmops / Pickled Herring

Nutz2U2
Posted
Posted

Hi Everone,

Since moving to Dumaguete a year ago, I have savoured some of the tastiest food (and some not so :unsure: ).

One of the foods I actually love are Gurkens, Pickled Onions, Pickled Herrings or Rollmops (depending on your location in Europe).

A member on another forum has given us a recipe to make something similar (and my wifey did a brilliant job), but it isn't rollmops ....

Does anybody know of anyone who makes them here or imports them on a regular basis??

Bread with butter and rollmops ---- NOTHING like it :cheersty: .

Thanks in advance ....

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I wish you good luck with your search for roll mops - definately not for me.  But am with you with Gerkens.  I make my own here but they are way short of the real thing, basically just vinegar/little sugar as I don't like it, maybe some black peppecorns or some chillies if are you are into spicy like me!

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Hi Everone,

Since moving to Dumaguete a year ago, I have savoured some of the tastiest food (and some not so :unsure: ).

One of the foods I actually love are Gurkens, Pickled Onions, Pickled Herrings or Rollmops (depending on your location in Europe).

A member on another forum has given us a recipe to make something similar (and my wifey did a brilliant job), but it isn't rollmops ....

Does anybody know of anyone who makes them here or imports them on a regular basis??

Thanks in advance ....

MM wish you had said before yesterday as I was at the German shop and they do these things if you want I can go back tomorrow and get some and bring them to Duma next week along with JPs  order .Silverskin onions are about 130 peso a jar about the size of a tin of beans. The gerkins and Rollmops I have no idea of the price.

Nutz2U2
Posted
Posted

Hi Everone,

Thanks in advance ....

MM wish you had said before yesterday as I was at the German shop and they do these things if you want I can go back tomorrow and get some and bring them to Duma next week along with JPs  order .Silverskin onions are about 130 peso a jar about the size of a tin of beans. The gerkins and Rollmops I have no idea of the price.

Hi there,

No worries. Onions and Gurkens are available at Hypermart / Lee Plaza ... The Rollmops not so.

If they have Rollmops - pretty please yes. But I can wait till next time ... What German Shop ?? Schiefers in Cebu ??

Thanks ...

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Hi Everone,

Thanks in advance ....

Hi there,

No worries. Onions and Gurkens are available at Hypermart / Lee Plaza ... The Rollmops not so.

If they have Rollmops - pretty please yes. But I can wait till next time ... What German Shop ?? Schiefers in Cebu ??

Thanks ...

No it`s down here in the sticks in Dalaguete 90 k away from the shop you are on about.I will see what they have and you can make your mind up in why not which is ass backwards.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Rollmops

Ok, I will bite (literally, ill try any type of food once, except balut), but take pity on your poor American cousins.

Just what the heck is a Rollmop? :cheers:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Just what the heck is a Rollmop?

Some say:  Good ole Google

04452_Rollmops.jpg

The opening post mentioned they were just a colloquial name for pickled herring

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

04452_Rollmops.jpg

Yep! Rolled with some stuff and put in a jar. :thumbsup:  Not for me But................... :)

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

04452_Rollmops.jpg

That looks delicious. My Dad and I enjoy pickled herring will definitely look for this here in da States. Thanks!

Tenderbox Cebu City has pickled Herring but not what is show in the picture.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Nutz2U2
Posted
Posted

Hi Old55,

Rollmops are pickled herrings (sort of North Sea / Baltic Sea) prepared, marinated, served tied around gurkens and onions.

But in essence - there are pickled herrings - and every northern european nation (UK, Sweden, Germany, Poland, Estonia, etc) prepare them just a little different.

As to the above - do you mean Tinderbox in Cebu ???

Thanks for the lead .....