New Arrivals - The International Drivers License

jai_ren
Posted
Posted

You don't need an IDP. But because in the UK at least, they are so inexpensive it doesn't hurt to have one. They are an extra piece of official looking driving-related ID. If they cost me 30 pounds rather than 5 pounds fifty pence, then I wouldn't bother with one.

robert k
Posted
Posted

4. Nobody ever asks to see your passport in the Philippines and certainly not for me at any of the 30-40 checkpoints I have been stopped at. How are they going to know that you have been in the country for more than 90 days, if they never ask to see your passport?

This is a good point.  But the cops always ask me how long I have been in Philippines so if you have been here more than 90 days and you are following this advice then you will have to be prepared to lie.  Not everyone is comfortable with that.

As to the IDP, when I researched whether I would need one to bring my Philippine license for use in Canada I found out that its only purpose (when used in BC Canada where I looked it up) is to translate non English licences.  If the language of the license is already English then the IDP is not required.  I would expect the same to be true here but YMMV yada yada

I wouldn't lie either Dave, I would just take my medicine. :tiphat:

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

The last time I checked in Oz they were $40,  the great Aussie rip off.

gusincebu
Posted
Posted

In the Phils its 2000p to join the AAP , and 1000p processing for the IDP. ( for use outside Phils in conjunction with your Phil D/L )

• Like 1

Petey
Posted
Posted

I was here maybe 10 months before i bought a car, first thing i did was go to LTO and show my UK licence - 3hrs later i was given a Filipino one. Cant remember the price of it.  But when i get pulled over they instantly ask for my Filipino licence and not an IDP, they don't even ask how long i have been here.