Not So Good This Year For Expats

brock
Posted
Posted

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I am wondering if anything has changed or there are more deaths now than say last year? when they are all added together in a list, it sounds like a war zone for expats.Anyone know how many deaths of Filipinos by similar circumstances in the same period? :1 (72):

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
I am wondering if anything has changed or there are more deaths now than say last year? when they are all added together in a list, it sounds like a war zone for expats.Anyone know how many deaths of Filipinos by similar circumstances in the same period? :1 (72):
I have read many stories about Filipinos being killed also but usually under different circumstances such as jealousy, yet quite a few were also killed during robberies. I think to put things in proper prospective, I have also been reading the Australian and US news online during the same time periods and many people are being killed during similar circumstances as in the Philippines, it is just that it seems to be big news for many of us when one of us is killed in the Philippines. Crime is everywhere and the worse the economy gets, the more crime there will be IMO.I think what is important to mention is that in each and every one of these killings of expats that I have read about, money was the major cause and family were involved in one way or another, so as long as expats make sure to be worth more alive than dead, and do not have a lot of money around the house then none of this will ever happen to them IMHO. I would also like to point out that a lot of money in the Philippines can be significantly less than back in our home countries and many of us do not seem to think about money in Philippines terms or in our setting terms and instead seem to think about money the way we would back in our countries of origin. I really do not know how rich the man in the last story was, but I would not have the US equivalent of p300,000 in my home in the states, no less in my home in the Philippines because that amount of money being known would also make my me subject to a home invasion in the states and quite possibly get me killed there too.Such as this storyA jealous husband stabbed his wife to death while she was celebrating her birthday at their home in Bacoor town, Cavite province, on Monday.The killer, Ricky Magbanua, told ABS-CBN News that he killed his wife out of jealousy. He said his wife, Lelaine, had other men.Magbanua, despite killing his wife with 17 stab wounds, said he still loves his wife."I-lethal injection o silya eletrika ninyo na lang ako. Mahal na mahal ko ang asawa ko," the suspect said.Out of rage, Magbanua also accidentally hurt their 3-year-old daughter. Investigators said the child rushed to her mother while being repeatedly stabbed by her father.Police said the child, who sustained a stab wound on her left hand, has been brought to hospital.http://abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/09/0...s-wife-17-times Edited by Mr. Lee

TheMason
Posted
Posted

Its really hard to judge crime here since there are no reliable statistics, but I think its a pretty dangerous place to be a foreigner. I definitely think its more dangerous here than it is in the US. Even if you don't have a large sum of money in your home, people assume you do. Besides, almost every foreigner here has a computer, electronics, jewelry, and other expensive items. If someone is looking for a house to rob, the local foreigner is the obvious choice.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Its really hard to judge crime here since there are no reliable statistics, but I think its a pretty dangerous place to be a foreigner. I definitely think its more dangerous here than it is in the US. Even if you don't have a large sum of money in your home, people assume you do. Besides, almost every foreigner here has a computer, electronics, jewelry, and other expensive items. If someone is looking for a house to rob, the local foreigner is the obvious choice.
I think for us to actually judge this issue, we would first have to know exactly how many foreigners are in the Philippines and how many of those are victims of crimes verses how many Filipinos are. I am pretty sure by reading the papers that there are many more Filipinos killed each year and even more robbed but there are also something like 90 million Filipinos and my guess is maybe 1 to 2 million foreigners of all nationalities. What a lot of people do not seem to realize is that simple daily acts can make them targets, such as using expensive cell phones in public, or our lady wearing an engagement ring and fancy clothing that would not be common to see others doing the same thing. I have also seen many white guys pull out a roll of cash when paying for something while in a very public place. I usually have a small rubber-banded amount of money of say p3000 in my pocket and within that I put a divider and keep a few p500 bills folded so I can feel them when I reach in my pocket without pulling out the whole money. I also make sure to know what I may be spending money on when we leave the house and I try to keep that money separate in the same fashion. I have watched Filipinos follow an expat out of a mall and I am sure they never knew they were being followed. Pulling out p1000 notes every time we pay for a p200 or less meal is probably not a great idea but pulling out a roll and pulling off that p1000 note off a roll of p1000 notes is even more dangerous. Another thing is what gf's and wives tell people, while sitting in a public place, I have listened to expats ladies brag about things they bought or their man bought for them. Women will often be women and many expats ladies like to show off that they have things that others may not have. In the case I am mentioning here, the lady was bragging about her $500 pocketbook and I could see Filipinos around us staring at her, now how many of those have never even made $500 in a whole year or had to work many months to earn that and how many of them just lost their jobs or were very unhappy having to work so hard for the little they earn. On one forum a guy was telling me that he felt it was OK for his lady to wear a big engagement diamond and show it off to all her friends and I disagree because those friends have friends and so on and so on but what is right for him may not be right for me, so my wife leaves her jewelry in a safe deposit box in a bank in the states when we go to the Philippines because she knows it is not safe and feels it is not the correct thing to do to show off to other Filipinos or her family. Burglary and home invasions are often caused by how people dress and what they wear and how people perceive them. People driving fancy cars in the states and wearing Rolex watches etc are much more likely to have someone follow them home and if the opportunity is right, rob them right there and if not then try to break into their home when they are not home or when they are sleeping. One of my friends was shot in the neck because he went shopping and someone followed his Mercedes home and wanted his Gold Rolex watch and he would not give it up. Another lady neighbor was robbed and knocked to the ground for her jewelry and so on and so on and those are just people I personally know. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity, do not give people a reason to rob you and while it may not totally protect you, it will make it less likely that someone picks you to rob. Hide your personal business and you all will be a lot safer and hopefully never end up a victim or a crime. Of course living in a condo or a gated community can also help to prevent some crimes.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I agree about the lack of honest statistics. I feel safe from violent crime while in Philippines, safer than many places in the States. Taking simple precautions like being worth more alive than dead to your family members living in the Philippines. Avoiding drunk Filipinos or becoming drunk in "bad" places.Most of you know I have a Filipina American friend who was murdered earlier this year during a visit back to Philippines. Money. Her nephew did it but the family and police are not interested to do anything about it. Darn good woman married over 30 years to my workmate. Dead. Life is cheap in Philippines.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Yup, life can in fact be cheap in the Philippines and nowadays all over the world. Here is yet another Filipino shot and killed in what looks like an execution style hit on a farmer.Crime is not limited to expats. Meanwhile, a 67-year-old farmer was shot dead while sleeping at the house of his friend in barangay Libo-o, municipality of Ronda Sunday night.Ronda Police operative Josephus Paunillan identified the victim as Alfredo Bautista, a farmer.Bautista sustained gunshot wounds to his back, head, and face.He was shot inside the house of his friend, Cristituto Labutin, while sleeping.Before the incident happened, Bautista visited Labutin, a neighbor, past 9 p.m. While there, he lied on the bamboo floor and dozed off.Minutes later, he was shot there several times by the perpetrators who positioned themselves below Labutin

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I think for us to actually judge this issue, we would first have to know exactly how many foreigners are in the Philippines and how many of those are victims of crimes verses how many Filipinos are. I am pretty sure by reading the papers that there are many more Filipinos killed each year and even more robbed but there are also something like 90 million Filipinos and my guess is maybe 1 to 2 million foreigners of all nationalities. What a lot of people do not seem to realize is that simple daily acts can make them targets, such as using expensive cell phones in public, or our lady wearing an engagement ring and fancy clothing that would not be common to see others doing the same thing. I have also seen many white guys pull out a roll of cash when paying for something while in a very public place. I usually have a small rubber-banded amount of money of say p3000 in my pocket and within that I put a divider and keep a few p500 bills folded so I can feel them when I reach in my pocket without pulling out the whole money. I also make sure to know what I may be spending money on when we leave the house and I try to keep that money separate in the same fashion. I have watched Filipinos follow an expat out of a mall and I am sure they never knew they were being followed. Pulling out p1000 notes every time we pay for a p200 or less meal is probably not a great idea but pulling out a roll and pulling off that p1000 note off a roll of p1000 notes is even more dangerous. Another thing is what gf's and wives tell people, while sitting in a public place, I have listened to expats ladies brag about things they bought or their man bought for them. Women will often be women and many expats ladies like to show off that they have things that others may not have. In the case I am mentioning here, the lady was bragging about her $500 pocketbook and I could see Filipinos around us staring at her, now how many of those have never even made $500 in a whole year or had to work many months to earn that and how many of them just lost their jobs or were very unhappy having to work so hard for the little they earn. On one forum a guy was telling me that he felt it was OK for his lady to wear a big engagement diamond and show it off to all her friends and I disagree because those friends have friends and so on and so on but what is right for him may not be right for me, so my wife leaves her jewelry in a safe deposit box in a bank in the states when we go to the Philippines because she knows it is not safe and feels it is not the correct thing to do to show off to other Filipinos or her family. Burglary and home invasions are often caused by how people dress and what they wear and how people perceive them. People driving fancy cars in the states and wearing Rolex watches etc are much more likely to have someone follow them home and if the opportunity is right, rob them right there and if not then try to break into their home when they are not home or when they are sleeping. One of my friends was shot in the neck because he went shopping and someone followed his Mercedes home and wanted his Gold Rolex watch and he would not give it up. Another lady neighbor was robbed and knocked to the ground for her jewelry and so on and so on and those are just people I personally know. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity, do not give people a reason to rob you and while it may not totally protect you, it will make it less likely that someone picks you to rob. Hide your personal business and you all will be a lot safer and hopefully never end up a victim or a crime. Of course living in a condo or a gated community can also help to prevent some crimes.
Excellent post, and I could not agree more. I keep a low profile and my wife is a sensible woman. She is well aware of the dangers here. When we were married, my father gave her a very nice necklace and bracelet set. She has never worn it outside the house and has not shown it to any of her friends or family. She said if she did that, we'd be targets. We're careful with money when out in public, use cheap cell phones, dress modestly, and avoid drawing attention to ourselves. We don't invite anyone other than family into our house, and even then we limit the relatives we invite in. I generally feel safe because we are careful and take these precautions. My only problem is that I don't particularly like having to pretend to be a pauper to avoid getting my throat slit. The longer I'm here, the more and more the precautions weigh on me. The government does not restrict your freedom in the Philippines, but the society and crime situation certainly does. I want to live in a place where my wife and I can wear diamond wedding rings, dress nicely, and spend the modest wealth we have without looking over our shoulders all the time. Unfortunately, I don't think the Philippines is that place.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I agree about the lack of honest statistics. I feel safe from violent crime while in Philippines, safer than many places in the States. Taking simple precautions like being worth more alive than dead to your family members living in the Philippines. Avoiding drunk Filipinos or becoming drunk in "bad" places.Most of you know I have a Filipina American friend who was murdered earlier this year during a visit back to Philippines. Money. Her nephew did it but the family and police are not interested to do anything about it. Darn good woman married over 30 years to my workmate. Dead. Life is cheap in Philippines.
That's an awful story. Unfortunately, its not an uncommon one.As to the drunks, that is very good advice. I smoke and my wife hates the smell of it, so I smoke outside. Our landlord has a sari-sari attached to our apartment building and the drunks tend to congregate there on the weekends. When there are people hanging out there drinking, she insists I smoke inside because she does not think it is safe for me to be outside around the drunks. I typically only drink around the holidays, but when I do drink I do it at home. I avoided drunks and public drinking in the US too though, so that's nothing new for me.Writing this post and my previous one made me realize just how well my wife looks after my safety and well being. It really points out the need to be sure of the women you choose to let into your life. I'm pretty sure that most of those murdered expats did not have someone looking over them and making sure they were safe. Hooking up with the wrong woman in the West can be expensive, it can get you killed in the Philippines

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
That's an awful story. Unfortunately, its not an uncommon one.As to the drunks, that is very good advice. I smoke and my wife hates the smell of it, so I smoke outside. Our landlord has a sari-sari attached to our apartment building and the drunks tend to congregate there on the weekends. When there are people hanging out there drinking, she insists I smoke inside because she does not think it is safe for me to be outside around the drunks. I typically only drink around the holidays, but when I do drink I do it at home. I avoided drunks and public drinking in the US too though, so that's nothing new for me.Writing this post and my previous one made me realize just how well my wife looks after my safety and well being. It really points out the need to be sure of the women you choose to let into your life. I'm pretty sure that most of those murdered expats did not have someone looking over them and making sure they were safe. Hooking up with the wrong woman in the West can be expensive, it can get you killed in the Philippines
Great post and so true. Choose wisely as you, I and many others have done and then there is nothing to worry about.