Phone Home

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My bank thinks I still live in Texas

Your bank may be doing the same in reverse by having a call center in Philippines, and you think you are calling them in Texas  :rolleyes:

Very likely.

One time, not the bank... I forget who... but I was talking to a customer service girl one time and her 'American' accent was good.  Then she said something something just a bit off... kind of a verb tense Filipino thing.  So out of the blue I asked her how the weather was in Cebu (there had been some big storms blowing through).  She immediately said 'oh the weather is much better', then realized what I asked.  She laughed and asked how I knew she was in Cebu.  I guessed really.  Once I could tell she was Filipino I just guessed Cebu because of the call centers. (now Iloilo is catching up to Cebu)

I did think it was funny that I was in Iloilo, using a Texas area code, to call an American company... in Cebu  :tiphat:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

This won't help our American friends but, if you're Canadian, download Fongo to your smartphone.  it's a free voip phone that gives you a local number to your home area in Canada and does not charge long distance...  In other words, you can call just about anywhere in Canada.  It used to be Dell and was available in the US under that name but i don't know what they use now.  

• Like 1

Iokepa
Posted
Posted

I use Republic Wireless service with their phone (USA). I can make to the USA and Canada from anywhere in the world as long as I am in a Wi-Fi environment. I just buy the phone, a Moto X w/16GB, and pay US$10/month.