Dengue Vaccine Now Available In The Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Sounds like good news so hope it works.

Philippines becomes first country to have dengue vaccine

WHILE Mexico was the first country to have issued a license, the Philippines on Thursday became the first nation to make available the first-ever dengue vaccine in the world.

During the press launch of Dengvaxia®, Sanofi-Aventis Philippines Inc. disclosed that the first dengue vaccine has already reached Philippine shores and are now available in the private market.
"The shipment arrived last week and we have already distributed the vaccine to some private medical practitioners already so children can already visit their doctors and get the dengue vaccine," said Sanofi-Aventis Philippines manager Chit Santos.

He, however, refused to disclose the actual market price of Dengvaxia®.
Santos noted that the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) approved the distribution of dengue vaccine in the country only last December.
With this development, Pediatric Infectious Disease Society of the Philippines (PIDSP) president Sally Gatchalian said they are encouraging healthy individuals aged nine to 45 years to get vaccinated versus dengue.

"Any healthy individual can be vaccinated unless they are immune-compromised," Gatchalian said Thursday.
She was seconded by the Philippine Foundation for Vaccination (PFV) president Cecilia Montalban saying any ounce of protection versus dengue is already a big help.
"There is no vaccine that could provide 100 percent guarantee of protection from an illness, but having dengue vaccine can provide huge benefits," said Montalban.
According to Gatchalian, the price is considered "reasonable" since there is a high financial cost of being afflicted with dengue.

"The price of the vaccine is reasonable and affordable considering the cost of hospitalization aside from the trauma and psychological impact of dengue," Gatchalian said.
The Research Institute of Tropical Medicine (RITM) pegged the country's annual economic cost of dengue at P16.7 billion. (Sunnex)

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
t Sally Gatchalian said they are encouraging healthy individuals aged nine to 45 years to get vaccinated versus dengue.

Doesn't seem like that will be affecting our membership much..  I wonder if the cut off at 45 is because it is ineffective for older people or some other reason.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

t Sally Gatchalian said they are encouraging healthy individuals aged nine to 45 years to get vaccinated versus dengue.

Doesn't seem like that will be affecting our membership much..  I wonder if the cut off at 45 is because it is ineffective for older people or some other reason.

Mosquitos can't penetrate old wrinkly tough as nails skin.  :)  Seriously I do not know.

• Like 4

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

JGF/Dave

Just when we hear good news of a Dengue Vaccine, along comes another concern with regards to Mosquito's

the Zika virus which is transmitted by bites, Let's hope the vaccine will stop the spread of that too.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/10/10955222/zika-virus-americas-outbreak-causes-dengue-west-nile

Edited by Kuya John

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Dengue is so common in the Philippines that it might be worthwhile to get your s.o. and immediate family members vaccinated... if the dengue vaccine is shown to be safe and effective. At least 2 maybe 3 of my wife's siblings have had dengue.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

It says "...nine to 45..." and the next sentence is "Any healthy individual can be vaccinated unless they are immune-compromised,". What is the truth?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I asked our pediatrician about the vaccine last month.  He said he heard the initial cost would be p8000 but the government was working on a plan to get everyone vaccinated for free.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I'm curious about the 9 - 45 also .... seems I remember reading that the very young or very old were the most likely to die from dengue as their immune system was the most fragile  .... 

:cheersty:

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

The vaccine itself is too strong for the young and the old.

The first dengue vaccine, Dengvaxia (CYD-TDV) by Sanofi Pasteur, was first registered in Mexico in December, 2015. CYD-TDV is a live recombinant tetravalent dengue vaccine that has been evaluated as a 3-dose series on a 0/6/12 month schedule in Phase III clinical studies. It has been registered for use in individuals 9-45 years of age living in endemic areas.

http://www.who.int/immunization/research/development/dengue_vaccines/en/ 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I remember reading that the very young or very old were the most likely to die from dengue
The vaccine itself is too strong for the young and the old.

It seriously sounds like you two are suggesting that over 45 is OLD.  :th_unfair:

• Like 2