Soppy, Love Songs

ManilaBae
Posted
Posted (edited)

We know how lovesick Filipinos are and this is evidenced from their penchant to following "love-teams" of actors on TV, always looking at opportunities to connect singles for a possible union, and engaging in so many relationship related "chismis" of others' lives. Adding to this is their love for sweet, soppy love songs; especially those from the yesteryears. Think Spandau Ballet's 'True', David Pomeranz' 'Born For You' or Chaka Khan's 'Through the Fire'- they're permanent song fixtures on their favourite radio stations or in their play list on their iMusic. Furthermore, these artists seem to perenially perform in live concerts in the Philippines, making a bucketload of cash in the process. Whilst these artists' have faded in popularity in the western world, they are on the other hand considered as demi-gods in the Philippines.

My question to you is, have you grown a much stronger appreciation for soppy, love songs as a result of your living in the Philippines? :mocking:

Edited by ManilaBae
  • Like 3

ManilaBae
Posted
Posted

Yes, I have over the years.

When my wife and I were courting she would sit in my lap hold my hand and sing corny love songs while looking into my eyes.

Deadly.

Nobody warned me about that.

:lol:  That's pretty hilarious Old55. Do you remember what songs she sang to you?

• Like 1

ManilaBae
Posted
Posted

Im not sure if anyone else notices the change in accent when a Filipino sings. Its as if the heavy Filipino/visayan etc... accent magically goes away and every word sung becomes mellifluently clear. When the singing ends theyre back to their natural accent.  :hystery:

• Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

The only thing I like about the sappy love songs is that they usually don't have the thump-thump bass added to them.  So they are not physically painful to listen to.  But yeah, some of the radio stations seemed to be stuck in 1975 ha ha :tiphat:

Edited by Tukaram (Tim)
  • Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

No bugger that, give me Men at Work 'land down under' anytime.

Come on ManilaBae man up!!haha

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Soppy love songs like......."I feel like 17 again and it's all because of you"

I truly loved the words to "Thank You" by Jose Mari Chan sung at my wedding by a friend,

Sentimental fool that I am, I cry all the way to the bank these day's :no:

Not really guy's but I can't stand Rap

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I'm a sucker for love songs. I grew up with hard rock and jazz. My mom and dad liked Sinatra. 

I'll say one thing for Filipinas. They are very talented when it comes to singing and dancing. 

I have a neighbor who loves his karaoke. He plays it very loud. It sounds terrible from a distance but when up close, it sounds great. The guy is really talented. He can sing like Billy Joel, Lionel Richie, Kenny Rogers and some old, real old music like The Platters. 

I have long play lists on You Tube that I listen to during the day. I have hearing loss so I try to play my music loud enough to really appreciate it. My wife says that I should buy ear phones so only I can listen to my music. I'm going to do it, ( some day)

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Im not sure if anyone else notices the change in accent when a Filipino sings. Its as if the heavy Filipino/visayan etc... accent magically goes away and every word sung becomes mellifluently clear. When the singing ends theyre back to their natural accent.  :hystery:

I don't know if it's the same but I remember in Japan when Japanese vocalists would sing a popular American song perfect ( or almost perfect). The problem was that they could not speak English and didn't know what they were singing about.

It's called " mimicking". Kinda like a parrot.

It wasn't lip sync like what a lot of older singers do when they pretend to sing in person. Some do it pretty good others are exposed. 

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
My question to you is, have you grown a much stronger appreciation for soppy, love songs as a result of your living in the Philippines?

Always had a weakness for such songs, but a few old standards have been dramatically overdone. This one is a videoke standard, but I probably cringe after hearing it a few hundred times by "various artists"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU1zUBDQMz0

That and the fact that Filipino singers, even the more talented ones, will tend to copy originals, occasionally sounding themselves like karaoke singers.

Mixed feelings here, I like a good song and have been known to sing a few, more up tempo.  Hearing the same song over and over dulls it after while.

• Like 1