The Care & Feeding of: The Exotic Foreigner

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

I'm curious--do many of you men cook for yourselves or for you and your partner?

I cook for myself sometimes. I cook enough that she could eat... but she does not like most of my food. She is NOT at all adventurous when it comes to food.  To her food is just something you eat so you don't starve to death. She could eat dried fish and rice for every meal and be happy.

She says my chili is good, but does not eat it.  I make a very good chicken soup - that she says tastes "too American", whatever that means ha ha.  She likes my baked macaroni, bechamel sauce, and wiener schnitzel.  That is about all she will eat of mine.  :tiphat:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:laugh: I showed my wife how to make "Shepherds Pies" and "Liver and onions with bacon" she does it well enough now but as per usual, it is the salt that kills it. Mine will not eat what I cook as there is not enough salt.

56df8e663c61f_WhatcanIsaytothat.jpg.b177 Where does it end?

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

I'm curious--do many of you men cook for yourselves or for you and your partner? At our house it's probably 60/40 with me cooking my dishes and baking all of desserts, not counting local Filipino snacks that we pick up locally. We also eat a lot of eggs and many tropical fruits every day.

In Cebu we're lucky to get really varied seafood, so my husband will cook fish for us in some form about 3 times a week or some local stir fried vegetables or soup.

A lot of our monthly budget goes towards imported American and international staples and ingredients, supplemented by many local ingredients that are equally good. Food and cooking and eating varied dishes is something that we both enjoy. Sometimes my husband looks concerned when I'm filling the grocery cart, but he always seems to forget about it once we sit down to eat:)

I'm with you guys about the beef here being tough--I think that the cows here get too much exercise:) Monterey ground beef though,is pretty good for spaghetti sauce and meatballs, chili, American chop suey and meatloaf. Purefoods Fiesta ham can be baked and divided to freeze for breakfasts here and there as it's pretty close to US ham.

Pork isn't really the flavor that we remember either, so we really only eat it with extended family dinners. Magnolia chickens free-range and regular in many recipes are mostly what we eat.

I certainly do cook. I can hardly expect someone who doesn't know how something is supposed to look and taste to cook it properly!

I have also been handed a plate of half raw chicken adobo. Nobody had ever made the effort to teach her to cook and she didn't watch her friends closely as they did all the cooking.

Edited by robert k
added a little
  • Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I cook for myself sometimes. I cook enough that she could eat... but she does not like most of my food. She is NOT at all adventurous when it comes to food.  To her food is just something you eat so you don't starve to death. She could eat dried fish and rice for every meal and be happy.

She says my chili is good, but does not eat it.  I make a very good chicken soup - that she says tastes "too American", whatever that means ha ha.  She likes my baked macaroni, bechamel sauce, and wiener schnitzel.  That is about all she will eat of mine.  :tiphat:

My husband and I have observed that Filipinos in general don't seem to have the hearty appetites and adventuresome tastes that most westerners seem to have. My relatives "go by the book" about what ingredients go into a particular local. dish, and they are "turned off" if a recipe is changed or supplemented in some way.

My husband cooks a lot of great Filipino food, but like during a party or fiesta, not much is said about food in general like "This is good!" How did you prepare this?" etc. This is just them, because my side of the family in the States went nuts about his food. Filipinos are just not that verbal though anyway..

Maybe the luxury of having so many food choices and flavors escapes the average Filipino.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Maybe the luxury of having so many food choices and flavors escapes the average Filipino.

Well my Granny used to say "Cooking is an Art and should be enjoyed" not just a daily chore But.......:huh:

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well my Granny used to say "Cooking is an Art and should be enjoyed" not just a daily chore But.......:huh:

One thing though Jack--all bets are off cooking here on a really hot day. Just give me a tuna sandwich on a hot day and I'm good!

8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

One thing though Jack--all bets are off cooking here on a really hot day. Just give me a tuna sandwich on a hot day and I'm good!

:laugh: I'm going to have a Cheese  and Onion one :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

You're living in the Philippines, married or in a SO relationship with a Filipina. 

For some reason, a common question posed to my wife by other women (even those married to other foreigners) is: What do you cook for him?

I don't know why, but they are often surprised if you eat a lot of local vegetables and staples.

Do your experiences in this matter differ?

For myself I get that question---do you eat fish? Do you eat "utan" or vegetables? I think I'd be in deep trouble here if I didn't eat many local foods here too:) They seem so surprised then happy at the answer :)

Queenie

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I have been told by my wife that the other wives all say she is lucky I am so easy to feed.  It seems some of the guys are a bit particular in what they eat. I am easy - no seafood, no organ meats (except the occasional liver wurst.  Breakfast is usually eggs, she mixes it up ... sometimes fried, sometimes scrambled (sometimes I make up some breakfast sausage she can cook, and freeze it).  Lunch can be as simple as rice & pancit, maybe a piece of grilled chicken breast or a pork steak.  Quite often dinner is more of lunch ha ha.  Sometimes she will make adobo, my favorite is the pork, mong, squash dish.

As long as i have Coke and the occasional chocolate, I am good         :tiphat: 

She mostly eats separately. Dried fish or canned fish is her usual.  She will go next door to her uncle's house and eat dinner with them, most of the time. They have a dirty kitchen - we do not.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:
21 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

For myself I get that question---do you eat fish? Do you eat "utan" or vegetables? I think I'd be in deep trouble here if I didn't eat many local foods here too:) They seem so surprised then happy at the answer :)

Well I have come to realize that many are indeed happy that we (Foreigners) will try things, it really is part of Integration 

• Like 1