Parent in-laws given their marching orders

Ynot
Posted
Posted

My gf parents who I suppose you could call my future parent in-laws,  live in Mindanao where they have been paying a "pepper corn" rent to occupy land where they have lived for the last 30 years as have a number of people.  The future in-laws are happy there as you could imagine and have built themselves a home.  Last year I helped out to have water connected to the house.  Apparently they used to go somewhere with a bucket to collect it.  

Anyway, the nice landlord has decided he wants to use the land for something else and has notified everyone living there they are to vacate the land.  The landlord has stopped accepting his monthly rent from the people affected.

My understanding is this decision affects quite a few families who will eventually have to find alternative accommodation.  My gf seems to think this could take a year or two before her parents are forced off the land.  My dilemma is that I really do not have the money to help now, in 14 months time when I retire I will be able to help, but if they are forced off the land anytime soon my access to cash to help now is limited.   Nevertheless I've told my gf to tell her parents to keep their eye out for any cheap land less than 100,000 peso. Apparently a friend was selling some land, they needed some money, the title was questionable for 20,000 peso! 

So my question is would you help at all if you could afford to?  

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I've heard of squatters building homes on land that is not theirs. Some have some very nice homes built. I was once offered a home in Talomo Beach very cheap and walking distance to the beach. It was offered by a Japanese man who I assume was married to a Filipina. It was a 2 story home and with a wall around the land. When I inquired about the title he said that he did not have it and explained. He said it was safe to buy since he had never seen the original owner ever since he had the home built. That is when my wife said that he is a squatter and not to buy it. I was also offered a large vacant corner lot there in Talomo Beach. It was all clear of trees and leveled off. The catch was the same. it was not the owner who was selling it. 

I'll let you decide what to do. I do not like giving advice. 

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Nephi said:

Ynot, I've lived here in the islands for a lot of years and have been married the entire time. You didn't say if you have been here before or if so, how much time and experience you have with the locals. So my thoughts come from only the number of years I have spent here and the understanding of the thinking and culture of the people.

You have said that this your girlfriend, not wife. So my thinking is that in your place I would not get involved in anything that would require spending money - even if you had plenty to spare. Entering into a relationship/marriage with a local that is a bad way to start. No matter what the family tells you; no matter what you may feel, it is starting a policy that will never end. There will forever be a problem, a need, an emergency of some kind in which your help could be used and or asked for.

I know this sounds like a hard and cold attitude *by our western standards* but this is not the west and is a whole different ball game. I would wait till long after you are married and together and able to assess the true nature of things here. These people have got along-have survived long before you came into the picture and would continue to do so if you were to leave.

So the best advice is just hold off until you have been married to her for a year or two. You will quite likely be glad you did.

Regards

Jet Lag

Good advice

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Ynot said:

My gf seems to think this could take a year or two before her parents are forced off the land.

The law, which might not mean anything, or if it's not the law, it was a decree by President Noy Noy. Does state that squatters must be given 6 months notice to vacate. And this is applied in Metro Manila when the raze entire squatter developments.

If she's correct  and they do get 6 months and it squeezes out to a year or 14 month, that's Part One solved. I would say going to the local mayor or barangay cap is possible, but they might side with the landowner.

And you said there are a number of other people involved, so definitely it will take time.

And no, I would not buy them another land currently.

Everything has to be factored, but you did say earlier you are putting on a wedding this year didn't you?

So if it's me I wait out the 14 months and see what happens. Tough situation but you have to be tough also.....after 14 months are you moving here?  Can't advise further but good luck.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Ynot said:

So my question

Short answer is "NO", unless you are physically present to conduct any negotiations.

Long answer:

1 hour ago, chris49 said:

And this is applied in Metro Manila when the raze entire squatter developments.

About every 6 months, the news has stories of pitched battles on the streets of Manila when squatters are forced to leave land they do not own. Invariably the squatters loose, it might take time, but they loose. The Philippines is full of absentee landlords and land titles are sometimes very confused. IMHO once it becomes known that a "Kano" is involved (and it will) the price will either go up or the number of palms that are stuck out will increase experientially.

10 hours ago, Ynot said:

apparently a friend was selling some land, they needed some money, the title was questionable for 20,000 peso!

Again if you are not physically present bad things will most likely happen.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Nephi said:

Ynot, I've lived here in the islands for a lot of years and have been married the entire time. You didn't say if you have been here before or if so, how much time and experience you have with the locals. So my thoughts come from only the number of years I have spent here and the understanding of the thinking and culture of the people.

You have said that this your girlfriend, not wife. So my thinking is that in your place I would not get involved in anything that would require spending money - even if you had plenty to spare. Entering into a relationship/marriage with a local that is a bad way to start. No matter what the family tells you; no matter what you may feel, it is starting a policy that will never end. There will forever be a problem, a need, an emergency of some kind in which your help could be used and or asked for.

I know this sounds like a hard and cold attitude *by our western standards* but this is not the west and is a whole different ball game. I would wait till long after you are married and together and able to assess the true nature of things here. These people have got along-have survived long before you came into the picture and would continue to do so if you were to leave.

So the best advice is just hold off until you have been married to her for a year or two. You will quite likely be glad you did.

Regards

Jet Lag

This is the best advice you will ever receive about your life in the Philippines.  If you doubt the veracity of the post, look through the many tales of woe that fill this site.  I urge you to accept the advice in its entirety and take a deep breath.

They will indeed survive as they have in the past.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, davewe said:
5 hours ago, davewe said:

This is one of the great fears of my wife regarding her parents and is very common in the provinces. The land for the entire neighborhood is owned by someone (in our case an older lady) and if she decides to use if for something else...

My inlaws have a very modest and non-permanent house they built on the land (no concrete). Recently the old lady died and the land passed on to her son. The son would like to sell the whole shebang but we're not interested in that, so, like you we are considering buying a modest lot for my inlaws.

It is my wife's greatest fear regarding her family - that they will become homeless.

Good luck - it's tough to know what is the right thing to do.

This is one of the great fears of my wife regarding her parents and is very common in the provinces. The land for the entire neighborhood is owned by someone (in our case an older lady) and if she decides to use if for something else...

My inlaws have a very modest and non-permanent house they built on the land (no concrete). Recently the old lady died and the land passed on to her son. The son would like to sell the whole shebang but we're not interested in that, so, like you we are considering buying a modest lot for my inlaws.

It is my wife's greatest fear regarding her family - that they will become homeless.

Good luck - it's tough to know what is the right thing to do.

A second read of Nephi's post for you also Dave is highly recommended.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

A second read of Nephi's post for you also Dave is highly recommended.

"So the best advice is just hold off until you have been married to her for a year or two. You will quite likely be glad you did."

Granted the old memory is going but last time I checked we've been married at least this long :) 

We're in no rush to buy anything and in our case my wife could afford it, even if I chose not to get involved.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 2