House Security

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

When I first met my wife in 2001 and visited this lovely country in 2002 the family compound as these places seem to be called consisted of the Main family Home which is built facing the road, my wifes small single level home , and the sisters single level home.

word soon spread that a " Whitey " had married a Filipino !

And the wife soon decided we would improve the properties as we could afford !

first was a high sea wall which does so far keep out the bay ! and seems to deter those from climbing it to get into the back of the compound.

we already had 2 dogs which had loud barks but they wouldnt hurt a fly !

then we rebuilt the wifes home which became our home and is now 2 levels.

then we added a car port on the front with large heavy folding gates !

and we also added a cheap security camera from CDR king which worked well  and could be set to trigger alarms or send email if anybody entered into an area which had been set. it covered the carport and the road and we now have another one at the back of the compound.

the younger female dog got pregnant and had six pups on which we kept reminded me of one of the the gremlins ! with a white streak on the top of his head.

but he grew into a big dog and we changed his name to arnie !

people are terrified of him ! his bark is that loud.

so to cut a long story short , a high wall, high gates, security cameras, and a big loud dog !

• Like 5

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 4/28/2016 at 5:26 AM, Queenie O. said:

You know I had thought about that myself:) You see ducks around sometimes, but I've never seen any geese?!:)

And they taste a bit better tooi!

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

No one will ever be completely "safe" or "secure" no matter where you live here or anywhere for that matter, but maybe that's part of the gamble or challenge of living here that keeps life interesting.

I agree. 

Our home in the PI  is protected all around and still wife does not feel it safe to leave the place unattended. Any time we went out overnight my wife would have her mother stay at our place til we returned. 

I have my music on during the day ( not too loud) for my enjoyment. We have sensors to turn on certain lights when it gets dark. 

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Our home in the PI  is protected all around and still wife does not feel it safe to leave the place unattended. Any time we went out overnight my wife would have her mother stay at our place til we returned.

I think that what you've experienced is pretty common here in the Philippines.  Many Filipinos are reluctant to leave their houses unattended, and like to have at least someone around to watch things. Particularly at night that would be the case also.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

I think that what you've experienced is pretty common here in the Philippines.  Many Filipinos are reluctant to leave their houses unattended, and like to have at least someone around to watch things. Particularly at night that would be the case also.

Hi Queenie, I remember some years ago when a guy came to my home here in California selling ADP Home Security System. I told him "no, not at this time but how much do you want for that sign?". He wouldn't sell it but I got one anyway and stuck it one of my windows in plain view. It's still there and I still do not have the security system that comes with it. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

My neighbors and I all watch out for each other...  I was gone for a while as I was recovering from an injury and, when I came back?  The outside was well looked after...  this past weekend, my neighbors were gone for the weekend...  I heard a noise next door and went to investigate...  somebody forgot to tell me their 20 year old daughter was coming home after being away for the summer...  I kind of scared her as she was having her shower...  :popcorn:

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 5/24/2016 at 10:33 PM, i am bob said:

My neighbors and I all watch out for each other...  I was gone for a while as I was recovering from an injury and, when I came back?  The outside was well looked after...  this past weekend, my neighbors were gone for the weekend...  I heard a noise next door and went to investigate...  somebody forgot to tell me their 20 year old daughter was coming home after being away for the summer...  I kind of scared her as she was having her shower...  :popcorn:

I'm sure she was grateful you were watching her home.........did you offer her a piece of candy too?

:SugarwareZ-004:

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

I'm sure she was grateful you were watching her home.........did you offer her a piece of candy too?

:SugarwareZ-004:

Ohhh, there are some sick puppies on this forum, but I still had a good laugh!

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I have given this a great deal of thought and offer two possibilities.

1. Landmines on perimeter. 

2. Fill bottles of cheap booze with sleeping pills and hand them out to the 'workers' each evening.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Been some good advice here, especially re making friends with neighbors, not always so easy but good if can be done.

we had similar predicament in not wanting high concrete walls how ever wanting security.  Eventually decided on an iron railing fence which is pretty open to see through but not allowing entry.  The final answer below is what  we came up with. Yes supseptible to poisoning how ever providing one hangs the BEWARE OF DOG  on fence should be a good deterrent as has been for us.

image.jpg

• Like 1