Importing a car into the Philippines

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Hi Everyone

I bought a New Kia Sportage here in the UAE last month and as left hand drive, good AC and very comfortable All Wheel Drive i was considering importing it to the Philippines when I retire in 3 years time.

I have done some research online and also spoken to many Filipino friends here in the UAE and it would appear that it would cost me more then the car is probably worth in taxes. I saw the below on the Bureau of Customs site.

8. IS THE IMPORTED VEHICLE SUBJECT TO TAXES AND DUTIES?

Yes. Whether brand-new or used, purchased or donated, the imported vehicle is subject to 40% Customs duty, 10% VAT and Ad Valorem Tax from 15% to 100% depending on its piston displacement. Its book value serves as the tax base and not the purchase price nor the acquisition cost. The book value is sourced from universally accepted motor vehicle reference books such as the Red Book, Blue Book, World Book depending on the origin of the imported vehicle.

I was hoping to hear from anyone else who has ever considered importing a car and if so what did you do or is it better to just buy one in the Philippines?

I look forward to tapping into the font of knowledge from within this forum.

Kind regards.

Paul

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

The shipping alone will cost you a few thousand dollars + the high tax. I dont think its really worth it (unless you really love it). Will probably be cheaper to sell it and buy a new one here.

Easier for the mind aswell... Imagine all that good ol Filipino bureaucracy..

The price for the car seems alot cheaper in AUE tho according to google.

Says that in AUE they star at 55k AED (700k pesos) while here its 1,25mil pesos...

https://www.dubicars.com/dubai/new/kia/sportage

http://ph.priceprice.com/Kia-Sportage-9468/?sold_product_type=0#hPrclst

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, PaulB said:

Hi Everyone

I bought a New Kia Sportage here in the UAE last month and as left hand drive, good AC and very comfortable All Wheel Drive i was considering importing it to the Philippines when I retire in 3 years time.

I have done some research online and also spoken to many Filipino friends here in the UAE and it would appear that it would cost me more then the car is probably worth in taxes. I saw the below on the Bureau of Customs site.

8. IS THE IMPORTED VEHICLE SUBJECT TO TAXES AND DUTIES?

Yes. Whether brand-new or used, purchased or donated, the imported vehicle is subject to 40% Customs duty, 10% VAT and Ad Valorem Tax from 15% to 100% depending on its piston displacement. Its book value serves as the tax base and not the purchase price nor the acquisition cost. The book value is sourced from universally accepted motor vehicle reference books such as the Red Book, Blue Book, World Book depending on the origin of the imported vehicle.

I was hoping to hear from anyone else who has ever considered importing a car and if so what did you do or is it better to just buy one in the Philippines?

I look forward to tapping into the font of knowledge from within this forum.

Kind regards.

Paul

Will you be taking advantage of the SRRV special retirement visa?

• Like 1

PaulB
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

Will you be taking advantage of the SRRV special retirement visa?

Robert

Am going for 13a visa.

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, PaulB said:

Robert

Am going for 13a visa.

I'm no help then. Under the SSRV I believe you could import a car free one time. Since you won't be on SRRV, I recommend you sell yours and buy another car when you arrive.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

With apologies to Johnny Cash:

One day I devised myself a plan
That should be the envy of most any man
I'd sneak it out of there in a balikbayan box in my hand
Now gettin' caught was not desired
But I figured I'd have it all by the time I retired
I'd have me a car worth at least a hundred grand.

I'd get it one piece at a time
And it wouldn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is around.

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Essentially, they do want any importing here. This is an extremely nationalistic country.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Steve & Myrlita said:

Essentially, they do want any importing here.

Except for importing foreign husbands. :hystery:

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

One could have it chopped up and imported as parts then welded back together like a lot of the others but I agree with what the others are saying, sell and buy again.  

• Like 1