Yamashita's Gold

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Just rent a front end loader Queenie, you might be lucky.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike S said:

It was reported that when Marcos was president he found or rather confiscated a large quantity of the Japanese stolen loot .... look it up n the internet and enjoy many hours of fascinating reading ....

Never been bit by the treasure hunting bug here but when I lived in Florida I spent more than a few weekends on the out-laying islands around Charlotte Harbor searching for pirate treasure as well as countless hours in libraries pouring over old books and manuscripts .... met many a colorful character including L. Frank Hudson an author of 4 books on Florida treasures .... also a diver who worked for Treasure Salvors (owned by Mel Fisher) who had to resign due to a busted ear drum before they found the Atocha .... and a few more .... it was fun but definitely a young mans game .... no fun sleeping on a 20ft high shell mound in the middle of no-where ..... miles from civilization and only reachable by boat .... ahhhhhhhh ... those were the days

A lot worse ways to spend your time back then Mike--sounds like fun. I noticed online that there's a salvage company out of Singapore that's always looking for backers for their expeditions..:)

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Just rent a front end loader Queenie, you might be lucky.

I'd rather just fantasize about my possible treasure!:)

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Interesting topic.  I've met a few Filipino treasure hunters here on Leyte, with their old, barely-legible, hand-drawn maps.  I would have probably been into something like that prior to parenthood, but now being in 'conservative-mode' it just seems like a good way for a foreigner to get 'salvaged'.  But with Queenie, it's her property now, so no problems with digging that up that rock. But why spoil the fantasy?    :smile:  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife and I became involved, on and off, with Japanese WWII buried treasure stories while residing in the Philippines. Because she can read, write and speak the language, we would be approached by persons purportedly having maps indicating the location of a treasure. The writing was difficult if not impossible to read. Consulting with Japanese friends, the general conclusion was these maps were hand written copies by persons who had no experience writing in characters. No originals except one written in a style prevalent in Japan before WWII. But it turned out to be poetry written by soldier to a loved one rather than a treasure map.

Our family farm is located in the Sierra Madre mountain chain. There are several mounds that look artificial or man made. We suspect they are Chinese burial sites and from time-to-time porcelain pieces would be discovered by farm workers after a heavy rain. Treasure hunters would visit to ask permission to dig. Some treasure hunters believed they were created by fleeing Japanese solders hiding looted treasure. My father refused the diggers because it would be a desecration of a burial site if they were indeed burial mounds.

In the valley below alongside Laguna de Bay is an old Catholic church whose wood paneling and concrete walls contain the Japanese imperial seal. According to the parish priest, the church construction was done by Japanese artisans in the 1800s. Was it just artisans equating a place of worship with Shinto imperial diety?

Further investigation revealed that during this time period, the birth of twins in the Japanese Imperial Household was considered bad luck. One of the twins would be separated and secretly exiled to "Luzon" along with retainers and servants. The only chance of returning home was if the sibling were to die. It was fun speculating if the site of the Church construction was the area housing the residents from an imperial exile. Supposedly, there are buried treasures associated with these imperial family exile stories.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The acacia tree is protected in Philippines, but it seems that someone on Camotes island wanted some removed.  It must be that way because a rumour started circulating some years ago that Yamashitas gold was buried under an acacia tree.  There aren't many left on Camotes island now.

• Like 4

FortuneFavorsTheBold
Posted
Posted
On 6/16/2016 at 0:29 AM, Queenie O. said:

A lot worse ways to spend your time back then Mike--sounds like fun. I noticed online that there's a salvage company out of Singapore that's always looking for backers for their expeditions..-

My good friend, Albert Van Court, actually found the Atocha before Mel Fisher did.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, FortuneFavorsTheBold said:

My good friend, Albert Van Court, actually found the Atocha before Mel Fisher did.

:89: