Medical Safety And Doctors

Nephi
Posted
Posted

Quality medical services in our home countries is expensive but usually safe and reliable. Here, in an underdeveloped 3rd world country quite the opposite can be true. In my years living here in the islands I've seen dentist offices with no autoclave and just soap an cold water to wash instruments. I've seen hospitals in places like Masbate Province where chickens come in through open windows and walk down the hallways and cats sleep with those that are confined. Even suction equipment that looks like something out of a Boris Karloff movie and worse.

So my question is, how many here have taken the time to investigate and locate good, safe medical care? I have lived in the Philippines twice; This time for just over 13 years. I've found and have had a good doctor and hospital for the past 8 years or so. Given what I see and read about, I feel extremely lucky to have the medical doctor and eye care doctors that I have and know that I can count on their care, judgment, and ability in the future as I have done in the past.

Side Note: My interest in this subject is due to several expat friends that have died for lack of good care over the last 2 years or so. So it's more of a concern than idle curiosity.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

but I repeat, its the best we got and there are many areas of the Philippines with worse facilities.

Well What can I say but another thing for the newcomer to be aware of, the things you spoke about in the post I can't add or subtract from as I did not see this, all I saw was what a Pretty good job they were doing on Nutz

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

a Pretty good job

Yes, my friend, I agree.  I would go back if I needed to.  But I felt the need to make those negative comments only because the op asked:

2 hours ago, Nephi said:

So my question is, how many here have taken the time to investigate and locate good, safe medical care?

And I think the good, safe medical care here is rare as hen's teeth, but we'll make do with what we got.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes, my friend, I agree.  I would go back if I needed to.  But I felt the need to make those negative comments only because the op asked:

And I think the good, safe medical care here is rare as hen's teeth, but we'll make do with what we got.

thumbs-up-homer.png Say no more!

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

In my opinion good medical care can be hit or miss, and one of the many "gambles" of living here. I think Cebu being a major city has some good doctors and the teaching hospitals are a good bet for the best health care and competent doctors. It seems in Cebu that certain hospitals have particular areas of experience and expertise, so it's good to know where you'd best be served for certain health issues/ Dental and eye care can be very good here in Cebu, but it depends on the doctor, and sometimes how much you're willing to pay.

You can only really just try to do your homework, learn from medical choices you've made that weren't to your standards, and hope for the best- As far as medical emergencies go, I know that it's a gamble right off the bat living out here in the province. It's a gamble I'm willing to take along with others I guess.

• Like 4

Nephi
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Having been involved with SUMC due to being hospitalized myself, and having 4 good friends hospitalized there in the last 2 years, (Only 2 of them made it out alive), I have to say its the best we have here and it still leaves a LOT to be desired.

When you are in the emergency room and see large rats scurrying around, when the emergency room doctors are reluctant to admit you because they are so busy such that they only do so when you pass out from loss of blood, when you are in ICU and you have to find a friend to squeeze the hand held bag ventilator to keep you alive, when the doctor admits the hospital is pretty useless to anyone who is having a heart attack, when your partner contracts chicken pox from other hospital inmates while taking care of you, when you get a chance to stroll into the doctor's private area and see the excellent equipment reserved only for the rich and powerful folk, etc etc, you will note that it does not qualify as "good, safe medical care", but I repeat, its the best we got and there are many areas of the Philippines with worse facilities.

I am of the opinion that "developed world" hospital care only exists in a few places, like St Lukes in Manila and that are decent if you pay for their best treatment (such as Chong Hua in Cebu).  Other than that, pray.

All I can say is I'm really glad I don't have to rely on the hospital you are referring to. If I did, I think I'd be sorely tempted to get on a jet and return to the states to live.

• Like 1