Day Of Caring

chimellie
Posted
Posted

HiWe will be in Cebu from October 17 to Nov 06 for vacation and to check out our new retirement home.While there, I would like to get together with everyone but not for partying or anything like that, I would like to have a "day of caring", but I need your help, your expertise. My wife said she will come along to help, you can bring your wife and your g.f too.Everyone needs to bring some tools like hammers, screwdrivers, electrical tape

tom_shor
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'll be there then so let me know when and I will try to make it. I have some events already scheduled for my trip that might prevent me going. I have no tools there right now but if I am available I would be glad to lend a hand.Oops I misread your dates. I'll be leaving about the time you get there. I leave the 18th of October. Maybe next time sorry.

Edited by tom_shor

chimellie
Posted
Posted

Thanks Tom..If things go well, we might make it once a year thing. But right now, not many responses, I hope we can make it happen. It's an opportunity for expats to meet each other and helping out the poor.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
HiWe will be in Cebu from October 17 to Nov 06 for vacation and to check out our new retirement home.While there, I would like to get together with everyone but not for partying or anything like that, I would like to have a "day of caring", but I need your help, your expertise. My wife said she will come along to help, you can bring your wife and your g.f too.Everyone needs to bring some tools like hammers, screwdrivers, electrical tape

chimellie
Posted
Posted

retired
Posted
Posted

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hi Chi ........ maybe just a suggestion ...... instead of repairing some houses why not look at maybe a school in a small Barangay ..... it would be much more easy to control as far as repairs ..... supplies and so forth ...... after all the kids today are the Philippine leaders tomorrow ...... I have seen some pretty run down schools that are shown on the TV and even if you don't get to complete the remodeling all at once it could be an on going project and completed the following year ...... Sometimes just helping 2 or 3 families in a village of 20 or so can and does cause problems as the crab mentality tends to take effect ....... a friend of mine found out when he helped his GF's parents ...... the family went from being well liked and respected to being shunned by the very same neighbors that they used to be friends with ..... Even if it is just building or buying new desks ... chairs or hanging black-boards ...... fixing lights .... CR's and so forth in a school would be a great deal of help to the kids and appreciated by all families in the area ...... Just my thoughts and I maybe entirely out of touch with reality here ...... any way just my $.02 worth .......

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Hi Chi ........ maybe just a suggestion ...... instead of repairing some houses why not look at maybe a school in a small Barangay ..... it would be much more easy to control as far as repairs ..... supplies and so forth ...... after all the kids today are the Philippine leaders tomorrow ...... I have seen some pretty run down schools that are shown on the TV and even if you don't get to complete the remodeling all at once it could be an on going project and completed the following year ...... Sometimes just helping 2 or 3 families in a village of 20 or so can and does cause problems as the crab mentality tends to take effect ....... a friend of mine found out when he helped his GF's parents ...... the family went from being well liked and respected to being shunned by the very same neighbors that they used to be friends with ..... Even if it is just building or buying new desks ... chairs or hanging black-boards ...... fixing lights .... CR's and so forth in a school would be a great deal of help to the kids and appreciated by all families in the area ...... Just my thoughts and I maybe entirely out of touch with reality here ...... any way just my $.02 worth .......
I think you might be on the right track,it would benefit many more members of the community by perhaps doing work at schools or a public hall if there is one,maybe theres some sort of medical clinic that could use some help.I guess it all depends on what is in the village and someone really should scout the area to identify the needs of that community before going ahead with any project big or small.

chimellie
Posted
Posted
I think you might be on the right track,it would benefit many more members of the community by perhaps doing work at schools or a public hall if there is one,maybe theres some sort of medical clinic that could use some help.I guess it all depends on what is in the village and someone really should scout the area to identify the needs of that community before going ahead with any project big or small.
Thanks all for the advice, I was thinking doing something for the school too, but I will do anything to help. We need volunteers to get out there and scout some poor village like you said and report back so we can make a decision on what to do. Like I said, we can only tackle small problems, something that we can finish in one day because I don't live there, not yet any how...Please advise, I need your help.Thanks

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Hi Chi,We deal with a US foundation that has done projects in Philippines. Most often we build deep wells for safe drinking water at rural schools.I can contact them if they know of a small project near to Cebu City. Or if you wish I can PE you the contact information.